G System or Axe FX II with the V?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr breaker

Reaction score
This is for mainly live use. I do record but not frequently. I currently have a Mark V and I play it through a Bogner 4x12. It's great but I'd like to add some effects to my rig, tremelo, wah, delay, etc. But I also want to be able to switch channels + effects with one tap.

I've done a lot of reading and it seems to me my two top choices are:

1. Keep the Mark V and add a G System.

2. Add an Axe FX II (run it through the Mark V power section or possibly get just a power amp).

The G System seems like it will do everything I need. I don't need crazy effects routing or super advanced features. But setting up the cabling (for the channel switching... etc) seems like it will be a pain at gigs. I don't currently have a rack, but I will want to get one to keep the cables short. Which would be another thing to carry around.

The Axe FX intrigues me, but I haven't played one myself yet. If it really can replace the sound of a tube amp it will do everything I need and a whole lot more. Again, I would run it through the V (or a power amp) and 4x12. Having everything in one box with just one cable to a foot controller is a very attractive option. However I do not want to be endlessly tweaking to get a decent sound and feel.

I also saw some videos of running an amp into the Axe FX so that you can switch between the two or combine them.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

As far as the gsystem goes, many say they need buffers to get them to work right (an added expense). To minimize the number of things you carry, you could consider getting a custom case made with a 1u or 2u rack plus room for your MV (if it's a head). If you got a 2u rack with it, you could have a power conditioner, and the only cables you would have to manipulate would be 1 power cable, and one Ethernet cable to the footswitch part of the gsystem.

The new gsystems have the "ib modified" buffer built into them now, so that is a consideration if you bought new. Go check out their forum to find out more info.

As for the axefx, you would have to add a rack to your rig anyway, plus a midi controller, plus some way to switch the MV, if you wanted the MV to be controlled via MIDI. Both ways will do what you want, and neither will be a simple plug and play, and neither way is particularly wallet friendly.

Thanks, nice tip about the buffer. I guess I'll keep my eye out for used gear and see what I can find. I think this will require some trial and error!

mr breaker said:
Thanks, nice tip about the buffer. I guess I'll keep my eye out for used gear and see what I can find. I think this will require some trial and error!

That is certainly the fun of building a guitar rig! FWIW, I bought a gmajor2 and love the effects. If you are willing to buy used, I'm sure the gsys plus the buffers it may require will come out cheaper in the long run.

I have a G-System that works perfectly well with my Mark V with no additional buffers. It's about four years old, so I'm not sure if it's got the upgraded buffers in it (I believe it does, though). The trick to these units is to spend the time initially to set up all of the levels in both the processor and the amp, which takes about 15 minutes and then you don't have to mess with it again.

SteveO said:
I have a G-System that works perfectly well with my Mark V with no additional buffers. It's about four years old, so I'm not sure if it's got the upgraded buffers in it (I believe it does, though). The trick to these units is to spend the time initially to set up all of the levels in both the processor and the amp, which takes about 15 minutes and then you don't have to mess with it again.

+1 - THIS is what its all about. Unity gain is the key!!

Authorized Boogie said:
SteveO said:

+1 - THIS is what its all about. Unity gain is the key!!

Does Mesa recommend using the channel switching relays on a G-System/Major to switch channels on the Mark V?

Another option would be an RJM MAG if you'd rather an outboard solution.

Reason for editing: moot

This is a guide to help customers connect their external switching devices such as the GCX Audio Switcher or the TC Electronic G System to Mesa/Boogie amplifiers that have external function switches.

1) Lonestar; Lonestar Special; Stiletto Ace, Deuce, and Trident; Roadster; Series II Road King; Rectifier Recording Preamp; Series II Rectoverb/Solo 50; Mark IV; Mark V; Two-Channel Dual and Triple Rectifiers; Three Channel Multi-Watt Dual and Triple Rectifiers; Mini Rectifier; Tremoverb; Express and Express Plus; TA15 and TA30; 2:90 Power Amp:

These amplifiers all use ground as the switching reference. The sleeve of each external switch function jack on the amplifier is connected to ground inside the amplifier, and can be connected together outside the amplifier. This means that Y-Cord function switchers can be used. Note: if the sleeve of the switching device jack is not isolated from ground, a ground loop may occur.

Note: All amps listed above that use Mono or TRS footswitch jacks can use the footswitch jack for external switching. The reference is ground, same as the external switching. In most cases Tip is the Channel and Ring is the Solo or Reverb.

2) Three Channel Dual and Triple Rectifiers (non-Multi-Watt); Series I Road King; Series 1 Rectoverb/Solo 50; Nomad 45, 55, and 100 (Nomads do not have external switching jacks, but this applies to our breakout box):

These amplifiers use -3V as the switching reference. The sleeve of each external switch function jack on the amplifier is connected to the same -3V supply, and can be connected together outside the amplifier. HOWEVER—the switching device jack sleeve MUST be isolated, or problems will occur (such as smoke, fire, and general frustration). This also means that Y-Cord function switchers can be used, but the Y-Cord cannot be connected to any other device or amplifier.

For questions on other models or if you’re just not sure, please call the factory.

Thank you so much for that! I was under the impression a gsys couldn't switch any form of rectifier. My earlier post is somewhat wrong and moot :)

I use a g major with the Mark V, it has all the FX you want. Also, it is small(1 rack space), and will channel switch. If you need to switch all three channels it will work but you'll need to make a y cable or I had a relay box I made for my Mark IV that I use. Either way it'll get all three channels from the stereo jack of the g major.

Can someone explain how I would get my g major 2 to switch all 3 channels on my Mark V? What cables go from the Major to the V (other than loop send/return obviously)? Are these standard cables found at guitar center or special order type stuff?

Can the g Major turn the EQ on and off?

The G major has 2 relays in the amp switching jack. You use a TRS jack, the sleeve is ground, the tip and ring each are connected to a relay. You might be able to find a cable, otherwise you'll have to solder one together.

SonVolt said:
Can someone explain how I would get my g major 2 to switch all 3 channels on my Mark V? What cables go from the Major to the V (other than loop send/return obviously)? Are these standard cables found at guitar center or special order type stuff?

Can the g Major turn the EQ on and off?

It's just a stereo 1/4" phone to dual mono 1/4" phone cable.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Hosa-Stereo-1-4--Phone-to-2---Mono-1-4--Phone-Insert-Cable-333030-i1128922.gc

I used a g-system (with a JVM410h) for about 3 years. I had the original silver one, then upgraded to a iB modded one last year. In my experience, the modified input buffer is a must - it's night and day compared to the original. I do believe the newer g-system's come with the modded buffer (starting in 2012 sometime - you'll have to check the serial number with TC, but anything prior to 2012 will NOT have the modded buffer unless you buy the iB modded black version). One word of caution, they are kind of a pain to get set up and can add noise to your rig - you'll have to run the input gain around 8-10, which will amplify any background noise if you're using the front end (filter, comp, loops). The post gain effects are relatively quiet and transparent. The g-system does have a pretty good noise gate built in that you can assign to be on or off for each preset (so you can have it off on your clean channels, then automatically on for your gain channels). You'll also need to use balanced (TRS) cables from your g-system to your amp input, and from the g-system to your effects loop. This is also a must - it will reduce unwanted noise and improve the sound quality. In a nutshell - is the g-system perfect? No. But, it's pretty **** good, especially for live situations (one click as opposed to tap dancing). Plus, all the effects are top notch - but, prepare for some serious tweaking and headaches until you get it set up - but once you do it will all be worth it. Just be prepared to spend some serious time with this thing. I recently sold my G and switched back to individual pedals. Here's a pic:

013_zpscdb250f0.jpg

Good luck if you decide to buy a G - if you do, let me know if you have any questions, I'd be glad to help!

Also, the g-system manual sucks and it's almost completely useless.

Check out this guide that this guy named Laird put together:

http://www.guitaraffair.com/pdfs/g-system-configuration-and-troubleshooting-guide.pdf

It basically explains anything and everything you'd ever need to know about the g-system (how it works, configuring it, etc.)

Thanks Cory for the info. I've been reading similar things from other people too. I ended up ordering an Axe FX... so we'll see how that goes. They have a 15 day return period so I figured I'll give it a try. If it sounds as good as people say I think it'll be a good fit.

I'm very curious to hear what it sounds like running through the Mark V!

Good decision, I had a G System with a Mark V and Cory summed it up well. The concept of the G System is great , but between the cabling, buffer issues etc., it was a total headache. One day I decided to unplug it and ran the Mark V dry. I could not believe how much it had changed the tone - Long story short, I sold it and went back to pedals as well.

Keep us posted on the Axe - I am sure you will have good luck and it will sound great

Latest posts

Back