From Tremoverb to Express 5:50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

art_n_music

Reaction score
I've been around the Boogie Board for a few years but in the Rectifier forum. Now that I've had my 5:50 head for a couple of days, I thought I should say that I am very happy with it, for many of the same reasons I liked my Dual Rec TOV! The TOV has what I feel are the best cleans of the rectos; but the 5:50 has better cleans...a little brighter and clearer with plenty of headroom at 50W. Both cover a broad range of MB's modes and tones, too. But these days I will never need more than 50Ws and a 2x12! I haven't had the time to dial in tones that I have with the TOV, but it will be interesting to experiment. With the 212 recto cab w/ V30's (one of two that I used to use with the TOV) I have not experienced any of the harsh, brittle tones on the burn mode that I have read some experienced with this amp. Just full lush sonic bliss! No hissing either.
I should say that the amp came to me with a set of Doug's 'tone kit' tubes already installed so I guess it is not quite stock! :lol:

Mesa%20Express%20Rig%20E.jpg

Hot **** that head and 2x12 looks great. I kinda wish I had the same setup instead of my combo. Still, the combo is one of the best sounding combos I've heard; it's a great cab.

You're right about the cleans on the Express 5:50. Really superb. I like it when it's a bit skinny, with the gain around 12:30, and the strat neck pickup. With the MV around 10:00 I cut through my ordinary rock/r&b band with ease.

I am terrified of voiding the warranty by installing non-mesa tubes, despite all of the success stories I hear. And my burn channel is quite hissy so I would benefit from it.

Selsaral said:
Hot **** that head and 2x12 looks great. I kinda wish I had the same setup instead of my combo. Still, the combo is one of the best sounding combos I've heard; it's a great cab.

You're right about the cleans on the Express 5:50. Really superb. I like it when it's a bit skinny, with the gain around 12:30, and the strat neck pickup. With the MV around 10:00 I cut through my ordinary rock/r&b band with ease.

I am terrified of voiding the warranty by installing non-mesa tubes, despite all of the success stories I hear. And my burn channel is quite hissy so I would benefit from it.

If voiding your warranty scares there's no need to worry cause.......you always have the following option to consider
ie, if you ever need to send it to Mesa you can easily insert the original Mesa tubes back in before you send it to them :mrgreen:

Newysurfer said:
If voiding your warranty scares there's no need to worry cause.......you always have the following option to consider
ie, if you ever need to send it to Mesa you can easily insert the original Mesa tubes back in before you send it to them :mrgreen:

Ha! Yeah, I keep mine in the boxes from Doug's!

Newysurfer said:
Selsaral said:

Ah I feel kind of stupid, that is indeed a good option.

Back