Fretboard Care

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pathos45

Reaction score
I know this isnt about mark v's but i want to see what other players use to clean their frets and their board with. I've heard people useing motor oil to lemon oil. Im just trying to find out whats best for a rosewood fretboard, and even other fretboards (maple, ebony). Thanks

I use Dr. Stringfellow lemon-oil / fretboard conditioner. It really does a good job. I'm sure any fret board conditioner / lemon oil will work. Rosewood seems absorb it more than ebony though.

For serious cleaning, I use Zippo lighter fluid and 0000 steel wool (mask off the pickups first to protect them from metal dust from the steel wool). For re-oiling I'm using Gerlitz guitar honey, or whatever it's called (don't have it out right now). However, for years and years I have used clarinet bore oil. Available at most band instrument shops, and not very expensive at all compared to the "specially formulated for fretboard" stuff. The only reason I have the Gerlitz stuff now instead of bore oil is that I was already at Guitar Center and didn't want to make a special trip for a $2 bottle of fluid.

As far as cleaning the board . Very fine steel wool works good but make sure to put some masking tape over your pickup magnets . As far as fretboard conditioner for rosewood style necks, Planet Waves makes something called hydrate that works nicely .

Thanks alot def gonna try 2 diffrent kinds for my gutiars to find out which i like better. Thanks for the input!!!

I like the Dunlop kit with the fine fine sand paper for the frets and also I bought the Dunlop ultimate lemon oil product which is not in the kit; mainly as I have rosewood and as we know, can get pretty dry. I also, not for fret board care but for ease of play use some, Finger Ease spray.

For lessening tuning issues I use Big Bens nut sauce for the nut and saddles on TOM's which helps for tuning.

Bore oil works great. I get mine here: http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm

I have 9 guitars and the larger size bottle lasts me forever. I probably oil the fretboards every other or third string change.

I'm using Dunlop Formula 65 Lemon oil for rosewood and ebony fretboard.
But I won't use lemon oil on maple fretboard.

I heard Dr.Duck's Axwax is good too.
drduckaxewax.jpg

+1 for Dunlop Lemon Oil. I too have a number of RW necks, and this keeps 'em from drying out

Latest posts

Back