FRACTAL FX8 PEDAL BOARD WITH MARK V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you heard about the Line 6 Helix that has just been released. The guys on the Fractal forum are going ape **** over it.

To be clear, I am not arguing for a winner. Just against the idea of quick obsolescence. I think they're all great, and I do agree that the lack of support for the GS is making it less viable compared to the competition.

And I'm going to get me a FX8. Looks super cool.

I like the look of the Helix, but Line 6 is simply not in the same business. They are price-leaders and have to design accordingly. They will likely offer way more features for the buck, but it will be a risk to go that way in terms of sound quality and reliability. Don't get me wrong, I have had my share of Line 6 stuff, and I think they have the best guitar wireless available. But I had a mediocre experience with the HD500 and this is likely a next-gen of that. I'm curious if we'll see that on the floor in front of any working musicians.

My FX8 is on its way finally. I will let you all know what I think.

I have a Mark V25 and I just got my FX8 and I have to say it's incredible so far. I like the fact that it has most the pedals I need in it and I can set up up to 8 sounds per scene using the program FX8 Edit which makes editing easier than manually doing it on the unit itself. It's a bit of a learning curve especially for me but I think patients will pay off. I use the 4 cable method so that I can set the sounds wherever I want either before and after the amp. So my first scene consists of chorus, auto Wah, drive, tremolo, flanger, phaser, delay1, delay2 and I am still in the process of arranging them. it also comes with a ton of preset sounds. What's cool is they are always adding new stuff via updates. I think the one thing I don't like is the hard learning curve and it will take me a while to learn it. Oh and the price to and waiting for them to become readily available. Any who hope this helps

OK I have had my FX8 for a couple of months now. Here are my impressions of unit at this stage. The unit is very high quality, built well, effects are top notch, the forum provides a lot of help or information should you have problems. All of the crew from FAS frequent the sight and will answer questions. With that being said. WARNING! You will spend a lot of time tweeking knobs & pushing
buttons to find your sound. If you are not a tweeker you will be kicking the the dog quite a bit. :lol: Since you already own a MARK V you are use to that. There are a lot of fine tuning areas that can get you in trouble during the learning curve in effects section. There is a large sweep in that curve. Meaning not sounding right. Most of the defaults are fine in those sections. Right now I am struggling with using channel #2 with a FX8 drive/OD. The easy way would be to use channel 1 and a drive bLock but that would defeat the reason I spent so much $ on my V. I will use all 3 of my channels. I normally would use a KOKO BOOST to push this crunch channel for rhythms. Its back on my board for now. They have some good presets that come with unit that are good. If you are not into tweeking much like myself I would go through the presets and save ones you like rename them and do some fine tuning to your liking. I have been saving individual blocks (effects: Delays, Reverbs, Drives, etc. they have a library you save them in 8) ) from the presets that I like and use them in my presets/scenes this will save you hours from having to tweek. Trust me.
They have relays for switching channels. Go from FX8 relay > out to MARK V relays < in, only 2 but default will be your channel 1 so there is 3. Important! SET YOUR LOOP DIAL TO ALL ON BACK if not using Vs pedal. I learned that the hard way. :cry:

Most of all you will need patient while learning.. They have relays for switching channels. Go from FX8 relay out to MARK V relays in only 2 but default will be your channel 1 so there is 3.

I will report back in a couple of months as I get more comfortable with unit.

FYI for you G-System users they are have good discussion going on comparing the FX8 & G-System in forum...

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/fx8/fx8-discussion/

UPDATE: YESTERDAY it dawned on me to check my pre-amp tubes. Sure enough V2 was bad. Channel#2 sounding great now.

Have any of you G-system guys switched over to FAS FX8 or AX8? Its been awhile and I am curious..

Back