footcontroller for gmajor

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoned_gods

Reaction score
i have read a 1000 post on here and cant decide. i plan on using it with a triple rec. should i get the midimate or fcb1010 or the ground control pro?
and also will i need a cfx4 access, and if so where do i get one at i searched all over the net and cant find one for sale.

i would like to have ch.1 clean with chorus, ch.2 with delay,ch.3 nothing.
i never realy use the solo boost but would be nice i guess.

stoned_gods said:
i have read a 1000 post on here and cant decide.

Right there with you on this... my eyes are crossed and blurred trying to figure out whether to do the G-Major vs stompers and if the G-Major what pedal controller. Reading between the lines on the TC Forum the Rocktron All Access sounds like the deal but then I check the price and it was $800+. If by chance you have not found that forum here is the link:

http://tcsupport.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/tcsupport.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=m*DzWEWi&p_lva=908&p_li=&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_page=1&p_cv=&p_pv=2.11&p_prods=1%2C11&p_cats=0&p_hidden_prods=&prod_lvl1=1&prod_lvl2=11&cat_lvl1=0&p_scf_access_level_id=%7Euser_access%7E&p_search_text=&p_new_search=1&p_search_type=answers.search_nl[/url]

*Sorry, can't seem to close the link, just cut and paste*

The Midi Mate looks like the most affordable but I'm still wrapping my head around the concepts of setting / accessing the presets.

Please post your findings / comments / suggestions for us.

Before moving to the US, I used an FCB1010 with a G-Major and a Marshall TSL100. I used the relay outputs on the G-Major and a cable I put together to switch the channels on the Marshall - each patch on the G-Major would also select one of the three channels on the amp.

The FCB1010 never let me down. You can't name patches - you only see the numbers on the LED display on the pedal, but you can configure it to do most things. I used one of its expression pedals for volume on each patch and the other would depend on the G-Major patch - maybe wah, or whammy, whatever. It's also got two relay outputs that you can use for amp channel switching if you don't have a G-Major.

There's a lot of information on the web. This site hasn't been updated for a while, but has some good stuff on it:

http://www.altrion.org/fcb1010/

Plus this group:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/fcb1010/

For the price, I don't think that it can be beaten.

Cheers

Andy

i used an older ground control ($50 on HC) (although i'm sure the pro will do this and more) and a peavey midipro to control my entire rack setup. In the rack was a mark iv, g-major, boss vf1. i didn't use the switches in the g-major because there's only two. i needed seven to control all the switchable functions of the mark iv. also with the midi pro i was able to have switchable loops.

the older ground control (depending on software version) has a mode (bank 4 i think it's called) that will select patches on the bottom row and give you stompbox-like control on the top - also 2 pedal inputs for cc. not sure how the pro works but the manual is probably not too hard to find online.

i'm far from genius but found it all pretty easy to set up too.

Oddly enough, I had my Axess MFC5 Midi Footcontroller and Axess CFX4 channel changer before I got my G-Major. I've had the G-Major for a week or so now and have some presets setup, but I'm noticing that for my needs, I would like to have more presets per bank on the midi footcontroller. Therefore I just ordered the Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro and will be selling my Axess MFC5if anybody wants a small, reliable, **** near brand new foot controller, let me know. I will report my findings on the Ground Control as well.

I got the Ground Control Pro and am VERY happy with it. It can send to up to 8 midi channels at the same time so it controls my CFX4, Gmajor and Whammy at the same time. The expression pedal inputs are great as I use my Ernie Ball volume as an expression pedal. Great setup and I recommend it to everyone.

-Chris

For the money, I would get the Behringer FCB1010 with the Uno firmware chip. The board is about $120USD, and the Firmware chip is about $10USD.

The best part is if you have a PC with any midi in/out you can get some really easy to use software to program the FCB to send just about anything you want.

The UnO Firmware also adds stomp box mode, which is my favorite, basically you use 5 pedals for amp/channel/eq switching, then the other 5 for effects, and you can program them to leave the FX on, and turn toggle the FX, when in stomp box mode, the lights stay lit to tell what is on... its rad.

The only draw back to the FCB is the 2x expression pedals, on my board they have a dead area at the lower range (and yes I have re-calibrated them) I am going to try to convert them to Potentiometers instead of Optical, but I haven't had time to look into it.

as said before, go for the FCB1010 and pickup the UnO firmware.
i´m using this comibination (g-major, fcb1010+uno) since two and a half years now and it works pretty well.
best value for money i would say.

An oldie but goody is the ART X15.
It is cheaper than the FCB
Has stomp box mode that works out of the box. It is even on TC's list I have both and the FCB and the X-15 and use the f15 for shows.
my .02
///MK

stoned_gods said:
i have read a 1000 post on here and cant decide. i plan on using it with a triple rec. should i get the midimate or fcb1010 or the ground control pro?
and also will i need a cfx4 access, and if so where do i get one at i searched all over the net and cant find one for sale.

Truth of the matter everybody above this has great suggestions.
As said by others the FCB1010 is probably a great start for you.

As far as the Axess, Ground Control, All Access these babies are geared for massive amounts of control from the pedal board (as far as programming the whole rig). I have the All Access got it when I use to have a fair size rack. The reason I really got it was the ability to create presets through the foot controller as opposed going into every piece of gear and creating the midi maps (which can be time consuming). This was the main reason I got it but the All Access went way beyond that, as the Axess and Ground Control Pro.
But an FCB1010 is more than enough power for a C4FX and a G-Major.

To get a CFX4 you need to order direct http://www.axess-electronics.com/
I’m using a CFX4 and a GRX4 very nice pieces of gear

6L6C said:
I’m using a CFX4 and a GRX4 very nice pieces of gear
I was going to get that combo a while back, but then decided to make my own. I designed a non-midi preset box that would feed an array of dipswitches for presets. I'm currently putting it together, but since it's mostly non-digital, there's a TON of wires and it's gotten really messy and confusing...

So... I've researched how to make a midi compatible unit. Using a microcontroller I'm designing my own switching unit that would basically combine amp switching and effect loop switching, but... in a single unit... Hopefully, if I get it working well and can pump them out, I'd like to sell them...

I'd appreciate any suggestions and/or comments. I've set up a forum for this.
http://squadmod.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=8
It's a sub forum of a project I was going to work on (a video game modification), but it's on the backburner. Don't worry, it's the right link ;)

I had them both and I liked the Midimate better but my band mate preferred the Behringer.

stoned_gods said:

I recently got the Roland FC 300 and Im comtrolling all three channels on my Mark IV , FX Loop, Class A/Simul plus it's got four different modes to set up and control the Gmajor, so far it's been working really good. I really recommend this Midi controller

here are the modes
Standard Mode ( Used to switch through all the patches on the G major as well as to switch channels on the MarK IV)
Control Mode (Used to assign CC messages, one of my favorites, you can assign anything on this to control the G major and the Mark IV)
Sys EX Mode ( I haven't used this one yet)
Patch Mode ( assign patches from the G major and set any channel from your amp, or you can just set channel 1 and add a delay) really cool mode

Latest posts

Back