First Rectifier! All Opinions Welcome!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malpractice

Reaction score
Hey Guys!!

First of all I'm new here so - Hi!!!

Second of all I've always wanted a Mesa Recto and have been saving up my pretty pennies and am about to take he plunge!

I've always wanted a Dual Recto and what I'm thinking of getting at the moment is a Dual Recto Multi Watt with a 2x12 Cab. I'll be using it for recording and some gigging. But I will be travelling between countries possibly often for both of these scenarios.

So far I've played through a Triple and a Mini, but I like the bottom end I think more on the Triple and it seems to clean up nicer for no-gain cleaner tones, however I don't think I need the 150W. I have listened to the comparison videos, however, on YouTube and I have to say the Dual sounds almost better than the Triple but I haven't played through one yet.

So what's everyones opinion on a good setup and sounds of the Rectifier range? How do you rate the Mini vs. the Dual & Triple. And you do you guys find the Mini for gigging, and recording tone vs the bigger Rectos? And what about the new Recto-verb 25 as well?

The tones I'm aiming for gain-wise is close to something like Metallica's Black Album, Pantera's Vulgar, Machine Head Burn My Eyes - but not necessarly the same, and I would like a lot of control over the tone, clean and distorted.

I know I can (and I have) troll through tons threads in this and other boards about this, but thought I'd just chuck it in one thread for people that like giving thier opinon and chatting about thier Mesa rigs.

Cheers guys! Hit me up! :D

I have a dual and a triple. I think either is great for gigging or recording. I personally like the triple because I like to crank up the low end a little bit and I feel that the triple doesn't run out of steam quite as fast. I was worried before I got the triple that it would be "too loud" or too powerful but I don't find that to be the case at all. If you have the cash I would go for the triple if not the dual would definitely fit the bill.
I personally wouldn't go with less than a dual for live sound unless you are going to be miking it. Not to say that a single or mini rec can't be used live but I doubt it would have the low end grunt that I like. But I've heard them make some great recordings so miked they would probably sound great. I also like Metallica black album tones.

Just make sure the tone you're chasing isn't in fact a Mesa Mark tone - which is the Metallica sound. While a Recto sounds huge, It isn't the tightest amp for thrash. It feels slow to respond with fast riffing. A Tubescreamer will help close the gap though.

Cheers. Yeah I have to say the Triple Rec sounded frikin amazing and to be honest and I didn't get the Dual in stock so I am waiting for them to get one in for me to compare. I'll see how the Mark V goes as well but they only have the combo.

To be honest I've always liked the fullness of the Recto amps, which is why I was refering to the Black Album tone. Not really the thrash thing, more full and heavy, with a decent chug. I guess a modern sound I like is something like Amity Affliction.

SonVolt said:
Just make sure the tone you're chasing isn't in fact a Mesa Mark tone - which is the Metallica sound.

Yeah, but on the Black album, the rhythm guitars have been tracked umpteen times, on different (also non-Mesa) amps. The resulting final sound way bigger, fuller and thicker than any single Mark amp, and it's very difficult to try to nail that sound with one. It's like trying to recreate the sound of a string orchestra on a single violin. At least I can get in the ballpark much more easily with a Recto than any Mark I own (including an original IIc+).

As for Pantera sounds...I may be biased, but don't waste your money on Mesa gear if you want to get a Pantera guitar sound. Just use an uber-scooped transistor combo + cheap buzzbox in front, that'll get you much closer. A Mesa will sound too good for Pantera.

Dual vs Triple, a Dual will sound awesome but a Triple will sound even better. If you can handle the power (and there's no reason why you shouldn't if it's a multi-watt), go for the Triple.

LesPaul70 said:
SonVolt said:
Just make sure the tone you're chasing isn't in fact a Mesa Mark tone - which is the Metallica sound.

Yeah, but on the Black album, the rhythm guitars have been tracked umpteen times, on different (also non-Mesa) amps. The resulting final sound way bigger, fuller and thicker than any single Mark amp, and it's very difficult to try to nail that sound with one. It's like trying to recreate the sound of a string orchestra on a single violin. At least I can get in the ballpark much more easily with a Recto than any Mark I own (including an original IIc+).

As for Pantera sounds...I may be biased, but don't waste your money on Mesa gear if you want to get a Pantera guitar sound. Just use an uber-scooped transistor combo + cheap buzzbox in front, that'll get you much closer. A Mesa will sound too good for Pantera.

Dual vs Triple, a Dual will sound awesome but a Triple will sound even better. If you can handle the power (and there's no reason why you shouldn't if it's a multi-watt), go for the Triple.

You're probably right about the Black album tone - with all the multi-tracking etc - but my Triple doesn't exactly get that either. I get closest by playing my Triple and Mark IV in stereo. But I like the feel of my Mark IV and Mark V in stereo better. The Recto adds a certain sag that I don't like.

To me a Recto live sounds like the recorded tone of a quad tracked Mark amp with a bit of eq-ing. So, pretty much every Metallica album. :lol:

I tried the Mini for 1 gig with a Mesa 2X12 vertical because I wanted to get lazy these days...it sounded great, but I went right back to my Dual Recto and 4X12 for the next show. I missed the wall of sound behind me on stage. Do I need it? No, but I like to feel it... 8)

I agree with every single one of these comments for what it's worth. And I have a dual, triple, Mark IV, and Mark V.

Silverwulf said:
I tried the Mini for 1 gig with a Mesa 2X12 vertical because I wanted to get lazy these days...it sounded great, but I went right back to my Dual Recto and 4X12 for the next show. I missed the wall of sound behind me on stage. Do I need it? No, but I like to feel it... 8)

This kinda nails my experiences also. I had a Mark III, first combo+thiele then head+ thiele, and it was hard to find the sweet spot with that gear: It was lacking the thump with ice-picks or it was woofy with no high end. I wanted to have a small setup so I don't have to lug a lot of stuff with me all the time.
Today I had my Roadster head + 4x12 cab for a first time in a proper band setting and was floored by the wall-o-sound -phenomenon. I have played couple of gigs in small groups and most of the time they were pretty silent. Cranking up a bit was a huge eye opener for what this little (eh...) bugger can do. This thing really pushes some serious air when needed :D As stated before: I don't need this - but I like it... As my friend put it out nicely: "The good sound weights a lot"

Had also some problem with channel switching. After couple of hours in rehearsals the channels switched with 3-4 secs fade-ins, completely muting the sound first. This was kinda :shock: -moment. Have to contact the local dealer tomorrow to check what's the deal with this problem, is it within warranty or not (Read from here, that somebody else had this problem couple of times). The reverb on -trick cured this but then i cannot use the reverb with footswitch :?

:twisted:... Aand let's not forget that the bassplayer and 1st guitar was drowned completely when I first tried with output on 12:00 ;) I had to cut the bass to all the way to 0 to keep it under control (small room and so on...) and lower the master a bit...

Really enjoying this Roadster a lot!

Eevil

Eevil said:
Today I had my Roadster head + 4x12 cab for a first time in a proper band setting and was floored by the wall-o-sound -phenomenon. I have played couple of gigs in small groups and most of the time they were pretty silent. Cranking up a bit was a huge eye opener for what this little (eh...) bugger can do. This thing really pushes some serious air when needed :D As stated before: I don't need this - but I like it... As my friend put it out nicely: "The good sound weights a lot"...

YES! That's my experience as well. I know I could take out the Mini Recto and a Mesa Vertical 2X12 and sound fine to most people, but I really like the subtle differences and feel of that bigger power section and 4X12 pushing air behind me. I don't need it, but I like it and want it... 8)

Plus, there will come a day when I'm older and no longer playing rock shows with cranked up amps and I'll be nothing more than a basement player jamming on my low wattage gear at home. Do I want to look back at all the times when I could have used my big, *** kicking gear and regret playing on a little combo or smaller amps...or do I want to look back at all these shows, videos, and pics of when I dragged out my monstrous gear and say..."Yeah, I didn't need the big amp, but it looked killer and sounded f-ing awesome"... :lol:

Is home Stateside? If so, when you order your Mesa, make sure you have Mesa install a Dual Use transformer, so if you travel outside the US you only have to take it to your tech to swap the primary wires so it can handle other countries voltage. I don't think the upgrade is too much more expensive, if at all.

Hey guys, thanks heaps for the great info!

I'm real interested in whoever's got an opinion on the Dual vs the Triple actually, sound wise. Thanks LesPaul70 for your opinion.

Also what do you guys reckon on the 2x12 vs the 4x12, there seems to be a lot of pros for the 4x12.

And I'm well keen on the whole dual voltage transformer mod if they do that on order. I'm in NZ so I'm not sure how to go about getting that done here. That's the one thing I loved about this older Marshall I played thru, it had that switch, and it shat me on this Carvin I used to have because it didn't.
Does anyone know if it's best to get that done on purchase (if I can) or is it fairly easy to get it done after the fact?

Cheers,
- Mal

A friend just recommended me this:

http://miaudio.com/amplifiers/megalith-beta-180w-high-gain-amplifier/

Anyone got an opinion in comparison to the Mesas?

malpractice said:
I'm real interested in whoever's got an opinion on the Dual vs the Triple actually, sound wise. Thanks LesPaul70 for your opinion.

You're welcome.
The best way I can describe the sonic difference between a Dual and a Triple is that the Triple has better clarity, tighter bass, more punch and even more massive sound than a Dual. The low frequencies on a Dual are looser, resulting in a somewhat woollier sound.
It's not a huge difference, perhaps not even obvious outside a direct A/B test. Either will give you the trademark big Recto sound.

I remember Haggerty's Music actually did a comparison video of the two, this should give you at least some idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-txiKWJt6M

Hey thanks again!

Hmmm. Really looking forward to try the Dual out. I did listen to that video actually and did notice the difference.. hmm never know, maybe the Triple's the way to go. I'll get to do a side-by-side hopefully this w/e.

Mal, you are from NZ then, you may already have that transformer. Email Mesa and ask if that is so. I am guess you're eyeing one already in country and not placing an order from a dealer.

No clue on that last amp, but can give some opinion on a triple vs dual. I have only shared a stage with a guy using one so take this for what it's worth. The triple has more headroom so it doesn't compress as much as a dual. My ears heard that on stage as the triple seemed tighter but not stiff. The low end wasn't as loose sounding/feeling. Either way it wasn't to me better or worse just different.

A similar example could be made between a Marshall jtm45 vs 1959. Or 2204 vs 2203 the bigger amps just feel bigger but the sound isn't totally night and day different or better or worse. Hope that helped.

Hey Guys,

So it sounds like I'm now leaning more towards the Triple than the Dual. As I've actually played the Triple (still not the Dual - waiting for stock to try it) and compared it to the Mini and it totally hit the spot for me. It just seems from what I've read most people are saying it's the exact same circuitry with just more headroom for a tigher lower end so I guess that means more control over the tone also.

I've only listened to this video for a comparison really:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-txiKWJt6M

I do think the Dual does sound good and the loose lower end does have a bit of charm, but does sound a bit more scooped. A bit metal-zoney and a bit dated maybe compared to the Triple? However I quite shoked at how different it does sound. Does it seem accurate to people who have heard the difference?
And is this what to expect? Just hard to judge with mike placement, eq, settings, etc. However I'm guessing they tried as hard as they could to maintain accuracy as much as they could.

Anyway as usual anyone with experience, let me know. And also if you have an opinion how much of a better option the 4x12 sounds to the 2x12, or what you think the difference in sound is like, please let me know. I only could try the Triple with the 4x12 (stock reasons).

Thanks again,
- \m/

I'm sure they tried to match the settings and mic placement as closely as possible but I don't even think I notice that much of a difference between mine. I could be wrong but it also doesn't seem like they have the amp really cranked in those demos. (I think). All in all I would definitely pick the triple over the dual. They basically sound the same but more headroom and tightness with the triple. And if you want some sag then switch it to tube rectifiers and spongy mode. You could even switch to 50 watts which I rarely do.

Latest posts

Back