Fire!!! Brimstone!!! Fried Speaker in New Mark V Combo :-(

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarekRosinski

Reaction score
Well... I've been loving my mark v combo... One week ago I replaced the 6l6's with El34's... Wonderful.. Then at rehearsal.. 90 watts on all channel, channel masters below half way, main master on about 5... Everything was sounding grand, then the sound cut out, cut back in, and cut out, cut back in, never to be reheard through my C90.. At first I though it was a short in my cable or my tuner battery.. After turning off the amp I noticed the speaker and lead were very hot. Hooked up the Mesa to my friends can and it sounded fine. So...
I am confused... Some people blow speakers and hear sound. My sound just cut out clean (melted voice coil?).. but then.. Why did it cut back in and out? My Mesa repair guy that I visited today tested the lead cable and said it was fine and a new speaker is on the way.. Still I am left paranoid and wondering: Why did it cut in and out? When the sound came back two times at first it sounded perfect, no degradation, before it went to eternal silence (we also tried my friends power amp through it later and no go..) Why would it blow? I wasn't even close to running at full power. Has anyone blown a C90 in 90 watt mode with all the masters under half? Is this something I will have to worry about? I am a bit worried because I have a gig this friday and will have to run the mark through my Bogner OS2x12 cab which is rated at 60 watts (vintage 30 and g12h 70nth anniversary, 60 watts and 30 watts to combine into a 60 watt 8 ohm load.) Also, is it possible that the cable shorted but was just in the right position when the Mesa repair man tested it (just a few minutes) that it happened to be just in the right position to bridge the short? I am a bit worried.. Any advice from experience on what might have happenned would be greatly appreciated.

One Love..

just to add... by main master at 5 I mean 11 o'clock... and fire and brimstone is just a metaphor.. there was no fire or smoke involved.

You most likely caught a defective speaker. I have been gigging for over a year now with my V 2 to 3 dates a week and the amp has been bullet proof. Sometimes the voice coil is manufactured a little off center and it will fry . I think you will be good to go with a new c 90... have fun...

Cool.. Thanks for the info. I am loving the Mark V... Just, have been playing through amps for almost 20 years now and this is the first time I fried a speaker.. And it happenned on my 33rd Birthday... Had to happen eventually. I look forward to the new speaker.

Back