Favorite speaker with Mark III?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nocluejimbo

Reaction score
I have a Mark III and unloaded Thiele cabinet incoming. I currently own a Weber Ceramic Michigan, which should do well, but based on using it with my old IIc, I think something with a little more midrange presence would do me well. Anyone use something along the lines of a Vintage 30 (but with more wattage handling) with their III? Eminence has a few models which may fit the bill.

I would like to hear some recommendations as to what single speaker any of you Mark III fans are partial to in a Thiele cabinet.

I use a 2x12 with Celestioin Lynchback speakers.

They are amaxing! Rated at 50Watts each they are like a hybrid of a Vintage 30 and a greenback.

The retain the low end a power handling of the V30, but have the smooth midrange and top end of greenbacks. Definitely not as harsh sounding as V30s.

I really like it with the Mark III, and with my Marshall

As I recommend in other similar posts, I like the Weber California (ceramic). It has nice clear mids and highs, good tight bass, and sounds very well balanced for clean and crunch tones. Good for rock and blues, maybe not for metal.

nocluejimbo said:
Any other opinions? I am looking specifically for a one-speaker solution that will handle the full wattage of the Mark III.

Although not the quite the same as a vin'30 I find the ev (200w.) to be the best balanced,clearest and deepest sounding speaker with my mk3. YMMV.

I have an open back combo and I prefer the mesa v30 over the evm12l. Evm has more bass but the v30 is sweeter and more vintage sounding. Go figure.

Definitely the EV12L in the thiele. I run mine that way with the MC90 in the combo and that's the ticket :D

With my blue stripe MkIII, I use a custom cabinet that I had recently built; loaded with 2 Jensen Electric Lightning loudspeakers.

Similarly voiced to the V30, they offer a midrange snarl, but don't spike the upper mids the way the V30 does. Very warm and sound great cranked.

Back