EVM12L Classic VS MESA Black Shadow EVM 12"

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UKBoogieboy

Reaction score
Hi, Is there a difference between the EVM12L and the MESA branded Black Shadow EVM 12, please? I know the original EV's were 300 watt and the new classic is 200Watt, but the Black shadows I have seen are also 200 watt.
So is a 200watt EVM Mesa Black Shadow any different to a EVM12L classic or is it just a different sticker?

Yes, the Mesa-labeled EVM is identical to the EVM12L speaker ...this has come up long before and was confirmed, IIRC. Both are purportedly rated at 300w.RMS from my memory.

Edward

I've been using EV12Ls since '84, they have always been rated 200W Constant 800W peak. Same for the Mesa labelled version.

The Zakk Wilde Version may be 300W.

Yes 200w, both the EVM12L and the black Mesa-labeled one. I just checked my own. Sorry bout that ...dang memory :)

No idea about the ZW one. Most likely the newer "re-made" version as these original EVMs are "vintage" spkrs that have been out of production for many years now.

Edward

You can google EVM12L and find that almost all the big retailers are selling the "Classic" 200w model and the "Zakk Wylde Black Label" 300w model, everything else either cant be found or pops up as "discontinued." I seriously doubt that any of us would ever hear $50 bucks worth of difference between the two.

You have to be careful on ebay and ask all the right questions. EVM12L's are found there on a semi-regular basis, but I suspect almost all of them are reconed......and most of the sellers will not say so in the listing, until you specifically ask them, then some will say they dont know. Those are the ones I would not buy from. I think I got lucky and only bought originals, but I really have no way to be absolutely positive about it. They had the original boxes, that was a strong clue for me. If you find a good one, I'm sure you will get it for less than the $229 retail price of the Classics.

I'm selling my Force 10, but I'm sure it aint the same. There is a guy over at the gear page I believe it was who recently said he has original EVM10's, now THAT would be something to brag about. EVM10's are harder to find than WMD's in Iraq.....

just picked up a NOS evm black shadow off ebay: came in the original box. How cool is that, a *new* 15-year old speaker. (how long ago did they stop making these things?) Got it in my mark III now: sounds better (imho) than the evm classic re-issue i had in there: i bit brighter, but also more definition over-all: hard to describe. Will be interesting to see (hear) how it matures w/use.

Does anyone know if the new 200 & 300 watt re-issues have any tonal difference?

soundchaser59 said:
You can google EVM12L and find that almost all the big retailers are selling the "Classic" 200w model and the "Zakk Wylde Black Label" 300w model, everything else either cant be found or pops up as "discontinued." I seriously doubt that any of us would ever hear $50 bucks worth of difference between the two.

You have to be careful on ebay and ask all the right questions. EVM12L's are found there on a semi-regular basis, but I suspect almost all of them are reconed......and most of the sellers will not say so in the listing, until you specifically ask them, then some will say they dont know. Those are the ones I would not buy from. I think I got lucky and only bought originals, but I really have no way to be absolutely positive about it. They had the original boxes, that was a strong clue for me. If you find a good one, I'm sure you will get it for less than the $229 retail price of the Classics.

I'm selling my Force 10, but I'm sure it aint the same. There is a guy over at the gear page I believe it was who recently said he has original EVM10's, now THAT would be something to brag about. EVM10's are harder to find than WMD's in Iraq.....

Latest posts

Back