EVM 12L Black Shadow 400WATT ??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STUART

Reaction score
DSCN2441.jpg

Anyone know this EVM 12L Black Shadow Where would Mesa have used this speaker , maybe a cab or a combo :? Says 400 watt power capacity seems a bit hefty as i thought the standard 12 inch EV was only 200 watts
I have this speaker currently in a MK IV Combo

Thanks in advance :wink:

Stu

I am thinking with a power rating of 400 watts it certainly wasn't a guitar cabinet speaker. It was probably a bass speaker if it was meant for any instrument. More than likely it was for sound reinforcement as in PA use. That 400 watter will probably never break up with that Mark IV no matter what you try or even if you were to try it with a different amp. There again, I haven't gotten a 200 watter to do it either.

Hey thats my old rig i sold on EBAY couple of months back :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kept the EVM its so much louda ..
Think youre right there Russ maybe a Bass speaker or something not a good idea for the MKIV then, just thought with the low serial number might be collectable too :roll:

I originally thought it was a joke until he turned the knobs and began to play. That cab looks funny. Those 12's look small in it. The head must just be monstrous and heavy enough to be used as a curb to park cars with. I know I would use it for that.

I have that exact same speaker EVM 400 watts in my 1x12 bubinga wood boogie cab. Its a guitar speaker to my ear for sure because it's frequency range sounds exactly like my other 1x12 cab with an EVM 200 watt cab, paired together they sound Identical.

I have that exact same speaker EVM 400 watts in my 1x12 bubinga wood boogie cab. Its a guitar speaker to my ear for sure because it's frequency range sounds exactly like my other 1x12 cab with an EVM 200 watt cab, paired together they sound Identical.
Ummmm
Pics?

I know a bunch of people hate these but I am a huge fan of EV and would love to see the xxxx model if it's printed on a leg or rim.
e.g. 812 xxxx YYWW code.

I assume this is a pro-line variant if actually 12" and with serial 376 on the '07 pic this is an early one for Mesa usage with the BS sticker. I'm not even sure we can rule out 12S based on "EVM".

I normally look for black frame as a visual clue for pro-line but with no good reference and so many applications served EV is a tough nut to crack.

Some pics would prove to me it is what it is billed as: a 12" driver. The 15L has the same Black Shadow sticker on the same magnet assembly as the 12L and 10L (well no sticker on the 10L).

Since I only remember the pro-line being 300W RMS I'd swear we are looking at a 15L in the '07 pic if trusting my eyes. The 15L is 400W.

I've never seen a 400 watt 12L before. Maybe it got a misprinted label and was printed for a 15B?

The EVM-12L is the single greatest guitar speaker. But some people don't like it because it doesn't sound like a V30, a Greenback, or a Jensen.

I've never seen a 400 watt 12L before. Maybe it got a misprinted label and was printed for a 15B?

The EVM-12L is the single greatest guitar speaker. But some people don't like it because it doesn't sound like a V30, a Greenback, or a Jensen.
It was made as a PA speaker not a guitar speaker. As much as I personally love a PA speaker for my guitars it doesn't make it a guitar driver.

The Force models and possibly the EVI are the guitar drivers tho Rivera liked the 10M enough to hoard the entire market.

Literally not true. The EVM-12L was even advertised by EV as being for guitar. Even in the OLDEST ads where they were advertising the SRO line.
There are sound reinforcement/PA application speakers in the same series, but the 12L has always been specifically for guitar usage.

1706494546151.jpeg

It was made as a PA speaker. It's not hard to find some info on it.

If I make a tamale thinking I'm going to be the Tamale King and everyone starts buying it to feed their fish I'll advertise it as fish food to increase my sales too.

That's just not being dumb.

Guitar speakers break up. PA speakers resist clipping.

Literally not true. The EVM-12L was even advertised by EV as being for guitar. Even in the OLDEST ads where they were advertising the SRO line.
There are sound reinforcement/PA application speakers in the same series, but the 12L has always been specifically for guitar usage.

View attachment 3107
Power "inflation", like the same as pricing, doubling every 15 years... Business is business. The next noted power will be 800w.

The EQ curve of PA speakers is relatively flat through their rated frequency range. The EVM-12L has always had a guitar speaker type frequency response, not a PA type frequency response.

Yes it can be used in a PA application but you'll need to apply EQ to compensate. Its natural fit is not for PA, but for guitar.

Back