Eq in Lonestar effects loop

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneijack

Reaction score
Anyone have any knowledge on using an Eq in the effects loop, and if so what is a recommendation ?
Thanks !
John

Welcome to the forum.

I really like the MXR 10 band EQ in just about any amp’s FX Loop. It’s quiet, has input and output gain controls so it can adjust to just about any signal thrown at it and the 10 bands really make it powerful. It’s 18V for the clean headroom so it needs its own power supply or a voltage doubler to run on a 9V pedalboard. The MXR 6 band is limited in comparison to the 10 band, it’s better out front to push the preamp IMO.

The Mesa 5 band is a rugged unit but really limited by only having 5 bands. Mine spends most of its time on a shelf. It’s well built but takes up a lot of space on a pedalboard, it’s a big pedal.

Boss makes a few offerings, the GE-7 is a long time staple on many boards, I own 2, but can be a bit noisy as well as overload and clip with hotter signal levels. Their EQ-20 seems comparable to the Source Audio EQ2 but with less functionality tweaking, if that matters to you. I don’t have any first hand experience with that one.

If you want some advanced features like modifying the frequency of the sliders, parametric operation, recallable presets, built in noise gate, stereo/dual mono/series operation, USB connectivity for desktop preset editing and MIDI control the Source Audio EQ2 can’t be beat. That’s what I use on my A Rig, fantastic unit even if you only use basic presets that you can select right from the pedal.

https://boogieforum.com/threads/stereo-tc-100-rig.87239/
What is it that you want to accomplish with the EQ?

Dom

Welcome to the forum.

I really like the MXR 10 band EQ in just about any amp’s FX Loop. It’s quiet, has input and output gain controls so it can adjust to just about any signal thrown at it and the 10 bands really make it powerful. It’s 18V for the clean headroom so it needs its own power supply or a voltage doubler to run on a 9V pedalboard. The MXR 6 band is limited in comparison to the 10 band, it’s better out front to push the preamp IMO.

The Mesa 5 band is a rugged unit but really limited by only having 5 bands. Mine spends most of its time on a shelf. It’s well built but takes up a lot of space on a pedalboard, it’s a big pedal.

Boss makes a few offerings, the GE-7 is a long time staple on many boards, I own 2, but can be a bit noisy as well as overload and clip with hotter signal levels. Their EQ-20 seems comparable to the Source Audio EQ2 but with less functionality tweaking, if that matters to you. I don’t have any first hand experience with that one.

If you want some advanced features like modifying the frequency of the sliders, parametric operation, recallable presets, built in noise gate, stereo/dual mono/series operation, USB connectivity for desktop preset editing and MIDI control the Source Audio EQ2 can’t be beat. That’s what I use on my A Rig, fantastic unit even if you only use basic presets that you can select right from the pedal.

https://boogieforum.com/threads/stereo-tc-100-rig.87239/
What is it that you want to accomplish with the EQ?

Dom
Thank you for the info , I picked up a MXR 10 band and a Boss FX-200… the boss may be overkill… I need to do a little more tone control then the basic controls on the amps I have both a Lonestar and a Lonestsr Special,
Mainly using the special and it’s been infuriating playing different venues and losing the magic tone.

Thank you for the info , I picked up a MXR 10 band and a Boss FX-200… the boss may be overkill… I need to do a little more tone control then the basic controls on the amps I have both a Lonestar and a Lonestsr Special,
Mainly using the special and it’s been infuriating playing different venues and losing the magic tone.
Oh yea... get that. In my experience the cab and speaker choice play into it. The EQ is the loop is pretty responsive and doesn't take much to make a difference.

All venues sound different, if you play early the sound changes during your set as more people show up and alter the response of the room. Just moving around the stage changes your perception of your tone.

I will always tweak my amp from room to room, but I use the amps EQ to do that. I try not to change my graphic EQ in the loop as that is where I really shape my core tone. I’m mostly tweaking the presence and treble to either add cut or reduce shrill high end.

Back