Epic fail 2010 trying to mic my Mesa Dual Caliber 5 Widebody

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaper1984

Reaction score
I have never miced an amp before but i tried doing this, from reading what you guys have written on settings here on the page, etc.
This is how it sounds, http://www.speedyshare.com/files/21909269/test.mp3

This mic positions are all the "same" guitar settings, just different micing.

I don't know, but i feel like the tone is sorta "dead" "no life". I tried various settings on the amp, but it's probably the room that is the problem, or the amps tubes maybe are worn out. I have no idea, but it doesnt sound "good" to me. About 7 in gain, 3 master 3 on output. Treble 6-7 presence 6 mids 2-3 pretty low setting there, but i really tried having it higher, even zero mids, still that "dead" guitar tone. Using the V settings on the graphic eq basically. The guitar i'm using is an ibanez rg1570, i should try other guitars in the amp, as soon as i get some good quality ones, or change the pickups in the epiphone ones that i have, since they are too weak :oops:

Oh, and btw the "bass" is not a real bass, its just the amp played clean, pitchshifted the guitar to act like a "fake bass".
Maybe these guitars would sound great with a real bass, but i doubt it, i feel like the guitars should/could sound way better by themselfs.

HELP!

Are you being sarcastic there Dude?!?! :?

The first 10 to 15 seconds sounds the best to my ears.

Catchy rhythm too, by the way.

What did you have the bass level set to? I don't run mine over 3 for the lead channel. Then I run the mids at about 5.5 with the treble at 6.5 to 7. Then the gain at 6.5 to 7. But I don't run the EQ with the middle frequency all the way down. I run it just under the mid point. I like more mids to cut through in the mix especially with a nice low bass tone. What I am used to a a set of V30s and I find running the mids higher to reproduce the V30s feel a little. From listening to the different settings you demo'd, I see everything after the first 10 to 15 second just have the mids too low.

You may want to look into a 2x12 closed back cab or may be a 4x12 closed back. I hope to get a 2x12 recto cab soon for the V30 sound that I am used to.

Best regards,
Erick

Forgot to mention too that mic placement is important too along with the type and quality of the mic. Play with the placement to see what you like. Edge versus the center of the cone versus the mid point between the two. This will produce different results and how close the mic is to the speaker. You also mentioned something too, the room, this will change things too.

Best regards,
Erick

That kinda music is not to my taste so I never try to get that sound BUT to my ears that sounds like a nice tight guitar sound and I think it sounds great.

Maybe you just need to add a touch of reverb/delay when you are mixing it and double track it as to me it sounds like you have a great guitar sound that can be manipulated in the mix.

I use a pretty simple Boss BR1200 and if I had recorded that guitar sound with just a bit of the onboard effects it would sound awesome.

Nice job.

Actually i think i had zero bass, and just had the bass onj the graphic eq turned almost to the top, just little below it.
Cause if i had it all the way up, the tone got all boomy and "unfocused" sounding. I have examples of the same riff with bass around 2-3, believe me, you don't wanna hear that! :mrgreen: :lol:
But thanks i guess, i will just try harder, gonna order a sansamp today, and play a real bass along with the guitars, see if that's what im missing, maybe.
Cause i agree on that it doesnt sound "that bad" it just doesnt rock yet, to my ears, but work work i guess! :evil: :twisted:

OH, and setzer that WAS doubletracked! :oops: :cry:

they all souded pretty good to me. mix wise the guitar was maybe a tad much, and really just jumped out of the mix. the mic`d tones were all good, guitar in a proper mix doesn`t usually sound awesome singled out. i`ve heard worse micing from guys who claim to know what they are doing!

Haha :lol:
Thanks then i guess, but i will try bring in some more mids, probably like people say, i scooped them too hard, also i should try even less gain, since i used 7 i guess i can try a little bit lower aswell on that.

Latest posts

Back