EL34 big volume jump from 6L6 Problem?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punchdrunk

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm new to the forum but a regular visitor. I'm writing to see if any other reborn multiwatt recto owners have this problem. I recently switched from 6L6 tubes to EL34's and there is a HUGE volume jump. My amp doubles in volume when switching from 6L6's to el34's.

I will have my amp at the volume I like with 6L6's but, once I put EL34's in and flip the El34 mode switch, the amp gets crazy loud!! It's a real night and day difference. I know it has nothing to do with the tubes I'm using because I have about 12 quads of different new tubes of both 6l6 and el34 and no matter what ones I use, the huge volume jump always happens with el34's. I have the amp set in bold and diode for both types of tubes. Something don't seem right and I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my amp when set to 6L6. Maybe something internal when is set to 6L6.

So does any multi-watt owners know if this common and if it's just the way the amp is supposed to be? Or does it sound like there is something wrong with my amp? I wouldn't think there would be that big of a difference in volume by just switching over to el34 tubes unless there's something going on when in 6L6 mode. Thanks in advance for any help. John

There is little or no difference in volume on the various amps I own when switching from 6L6 to EL34..... But do not own a multi watt.

Old worn out 6L6s? EL34s draw more current, and putting the amp into EL34 mode will supply more current to the sockets, so maybe that's why. Also, EL34s have more mid range production, by quite a high margin, compared to 6L6s. More mids will produce more percieved volume. Finally, the output transformer may respond better with the EL34s.

Nope all new tubes both the 6l6 and the el34's. I hear what you are saying about the mids but, this isn't that. There's no way around it, it's a huge volume jump going to el34's. I'm going to open it up and see if I can see any burnt resistors. if not, it's going to the shop. Thanks for the help.

sounds like you actually flipped the loop bypass switch which is right next door to the EL34/6L6 switch. That would likely make the amp insanely loud as the overall master volume is bypassed as well and the channel masters determine overall volume. If this is right, TURN YOUR AMP OFF before you damage it by having the EL34/6l6 switch in the wrong position!!!!

Nope, all is set up correctly. I always double check everything when messing around with different tubes. I own quite a few amps and this one has me stumped on the volume jump. It sounds good in both modes, I just don't get why it doubles in volume. Thanks for the advice though.

my 2 ch recto does the same...now I use just pair of tad el 34's they do sound lot louder than quad of 440's...maybe because of these el 34's don't match with mesa bias and they propably run a bit hotter so I switched to "safer" spongy mode...

Cool to know I'm not the only one with the el34 volume jump. I guess there isn't anything wrong with mine then. Still weird though. Even if the bias is hotter I don't see why it would get some much louder. I know on my other amps when I set up a hot bias it just changes the feel and tone. No volume jump with a hotter bias on those amps. Thanks for chimming in guys.

Latest posts

Back