Effects...What are you using?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info. I am only use Phaser, Chorus and delay. So it will probably work great.

MrHiwatt

Mrhiwatt said:
Thanks for the info. I am only use Phaser, Chorus and delay. So it will probably work great.

MrHiwatt

I bet it will!
Please tell me your impressions later.

Cheers!

I have taken on using Strymon pedals.
Strymon: Big Sky reverb, Ob.1 compressor, DIG delay, OLA chorus. Was considering getting some more but undecided what to get next.
Boss: Tera Echo TE-2, Phase shifter PH-3 (rarely use it)
TC-electronic: Ditto Looper X2, Flashback triple delay (oK, I prefer the strymon Dig or the Line6DL4)
Line6: DL4
Wampler: Plexi Drive deluxe (do not really need it but did try it with the Clean channel, not bad).

I normally play the amp dry with just the reverb.... If I am doing any lead I will add delay DIG or Tera Echo. At least the JP-2C works well with all of the effects I have (same would apply to the Roadster and RA100), the Mark V is not compatible with the TC or line6.

Zesta said:
I'm using the Line 6 Helix in 4-cable mode.

It is nice, but I am still trying to pin down the loss of tone I am getting. I am getting an overall reduction in gain, but more importantly, a slight EQ change.

I am using 10 foot cables. The Helix and the JP2C are buffered on the outputs, so the cable length really should not be an issue. I may try "high-end" cables, but I don't really think it will make much difference.

-Randy

The nice thing about the Helix is the routing options are insane - I've had better luck using a slight variation to the 4CM method suggested by Line 6 -

Instead of using the 1/4" output to Amp Return, I am using Send 2 to Amp Return ---

This bypasses the volume control on the helix, and in my opinion takes a problem child out of the equation. This way I am sure I am at the correct levels every time I set up my rig.

Also, make sure everything is set to instrument instead of line level.

One final piece of advice - first set up everything in front of your amp the way you like. Once you have then, then bypass all of those then set up your stuff in the loop. Gain staging is very important - the Line 6 forums have been very helpful.

I've also done some other neat stuff like a whole different take on 4CM, where I have 2 paths, one going into the front, then a whole other path going just into the effects loop ---

so its guitar in --> Send 1 --> amp input

send 2 --> amp return, return 2 --> amp send

I've had a great time with that setup and it's really helped me nail down issues in the chain because I'm treating the front of the amp effects and the loop as fully separate paths.

The most important thing is to just trust your ears and dial in sound and not parameters. Helix is great. JP-2C is great. And they work great together.

I have the GT-100 but could not get past the noise gates, One's in the chain are off but there seems to be another parameter that cuts out if picking a string softly. I have used the GT-100 on its own with great results for recording and will also use it for practice sessions at my friends house and run the output into a Carvin V3MC that I leave there. Best way to get the gain character you want, sustain and other with a Mesa boogie sound without having to play loud. Besides that, I would rather carry the GT-100 than any of my Mesa's as most of those are heavy to get from curb to practice area. I had contemplated taking my Mark V combo, but remember all too well how much of a pain it was to bring my Mark IV over there and that one had casters on it, Mark V does not..... :cry:

the only effect I like with the GT-100 is the terra Echo. Also when you start creating a patch with too many effects active it overwhelms the processor. My opinion, individual pedals would work better as each of those will use their own processor without burden of managing several sound effects with one. I did like the demo on the Helix especially with the multi effects loops. Ease of setting up a patch may be better on Helix but I do not have one so hard to tell. GC-100 I found much easier to create patches with a PC than the small screen as it is easier to assign the two pedals and expression pedal. I found the Strymon products to be much easier to use and they sound awesome. Also do not get the noise associated with using the 4 wire method (would have to turn off all preamps and such.... that never caught on with me).

bandit2013 said:
I would rather carry the GT-100 than any of my Mesa's as most of those are heavy to get from curb to practice area. I had contemplated taking my Mark V combo, but remember all too well how much of a pain it was to bring my Mark IV over there and that one had casters on it, Mark V does not..... :cry:

I bought a dolly for $50 - it solved 80% of my transportation/lugging woes.

The issue, when I go to my friends house to jam, it is all bedroom level. That sort of eliminates all of my gear even the Mark V at 10W is too loud.

I generally channel a multi effects pedal platform into a small anemic Carvin V3MC set to 7W mode, it is my amp but left it there so I did not have to carry it 4 times in one evening, still much lighter than the JP-2C head. My friend had young children so we are restricted on volume level. Still have fun though.

Boogie Mk III (purple stripe) head with two older 1x12" cabs (V30 & EVM 12L).
Keeley Limiter/Comp, an old Zen Drive, EB volume pedal, Boss RV5 and Boss DD7. There are so many options for EFX, but this setup works for me and it doesn't break my back loading in, or out. 8) Cheers!

I use the Fractal FX8 Mark II with my JP-2C along with a rectifier 2x12 cab. I have a Ernie Ball Music Man Luke BFR and a JP12 BFR. My dream rig is finally done!

I have decided to get a Boss ES-8 looper switcher. I like the flexibility of using different pedals. The ES-8 will allow me to control the JP-2C as well .

MrHiwatt

I'm using an Axe-FX Ultra (4 cable method) with an MFC-101. It's so convenient to control everything from the floor. I mostly use phaser, compressor, and drive pre-preamp, and chorus, flanger, delay, and reverb post-preamp. The only real pedal I use right now is a Crybaby Classic, but that will change when I get an expression pedal for the Axe-FX.

Back