Effects loop tube

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mansfieldguitars

Reaction score
I recently read a book on tube amp designs and in the effects loop section they talked about the 12AT7's being better suited in the effects loop for many reasons. I was just wondering if anyone tried these and if so how it worked. I hear so many people complain about effects loops and most of the time I see 12AX7's in there. THe claim is the 12AT7's have much higher current capability than the 12AX7's yeilding lower output impedances. Theyalso say the 12AT7's have slightly lower gain and the claim is that improves stability. Also the higher power rating allows higher signal level swings while retaining low impedances.

John

JAN GE12AT7WA......sounds ten times better with the loop on than with it bypassed. It actually sounds darker and more muffled in bypass mode with that tube in there. EDIT.....you do have to run your send level a little higher to compensate for the lower gain.

mansfieldguitars said:
I recently read a book on tube amp designs and in the effects loop section they talked about the 12AT7's being better suited in the effects loop for many reasons. I was just wondering if anyone tried these and if so how it worked. I hear so many people complain about effects loops and most of the time I see 12AX7's in there. THe claim is the 12AT7's have much higher current capability than the 12AX7's yeilding lower output impedances. Theyalso say the 12AT7's have slightly lower gain and the claim is that improves stability. Also the higher power rating allows higher signal level swings while retaining low impedances.

John

I've heard similar proposals about 12AT7s being better phase inverter tubes as well, but I've tried anything but 12AX7s.

Latest posts

Back