Edyne - questions!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsic

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking for some input from current Edyne users - ive had my eye on this for almost a year. Ive had a few mesas in the past, like them, but they werent for me for various reasons. Year ago I went to a Budda superdrive, great rock sound but just lacks balls in the bass response... which from what I gather the Edyne does well at. I may mess with new speakers/cabs/etc on the Budda, but the Edyne has popped back into my head. The Budda also has shared EQ, but there is a volume change when switching channels that is getting annoying-- again, i can mod what I have or just look to the Edyne to solve the problems..

My questions :

1) Whats this guy weigh (combo)?! I had a Stiletto, Mark iv, and LSS and they were all pretty heavy!

2) The loop- my stiletto and LSS had finicky loops, I could never get them to sound right. I think this is because they were parallel and I just had a rough time dialing in the level right, etc.. either a finicky loop or more likely, I was just not patient enough :). Is this loop series?

3) When using the hi/lo gain channels-- how well does the gain clean up with the guitar volume knob?

4) Is the amp picky with OD pedals at its input? If any have had pedals that dont sit well in front, any details/info..

Thanks for the help guys!

bsic said:
1) Whats this guy weigh (combo)?! I had a Stiletto, Mark iv, and LSS and they were all pretty heavy!

1x12 lists at 72lbs. 2x12 lists at 87lbs.

2) The loop- my stiletto and LSS had finicky loops, I could never get them to sound right. I think this is because they were parallel and I just had a rough time dialing in the level right, etc.. either a finicky loop or more likely, I was just not patient enough :). Is this loop series?

The LSS has a series loop. Pretty sure it's the same with the Stilletto. If your loop sounded funny, it's probably because of the pedal and not the amp. Most are designed to handle relatively weak guitar signals and can't cope with the line level signals present in the loop.

3) When using the hi/lo gain channels-- how well does the gain clean up with the guitar volume knob?

Depends on what your expectations are for clean tone.

4) Is the amp picky with OD pedals at its input? If any have had pedals that dont sit well in front, any details/info..

Never tried it with pedals... someone else can probably help here.

Question 1 has been answered already, but I'll add my own opinion on the other q's.

I believe the loop is series. I have, however, had a bit of trouble getting it to run nicely with my pedals, so I haven't been using it lately. However, lots of guys on here have had no problem with the loop.

Depends on where the gain knob is, but in general, the gain channels clean up very well with the guitar volume knob. Hi channel will generally clean up to a very crisp, bright clean tone while lo will clean up with a bit more depth and warmth, but they're very sensitive.

I haven't played an OD pedal that hasn't sounded good through this amp. Takes every pedal I've got through the front end perfectly fine (and that's about 8 or so of various effects).

Is this loop series?
Yes.
[quoteWhen using the hi/lo gain channels-- how well does the gain clean up with the guitar volume knob?

][/quote]

As good as ANY amp I have ever played...if the volume is set between 12 and 2 oclock- this amp owns with touch sensitivity when you are *playing* the *guitar* i.e. volume knob...

[quote Is the amp picky with OD pedals at its input?][/quote]
This amp takes outboard gear like a champ...I have read a few people have had issues, but I have to assume operator error...no offense to any one, but check out my sig to see what my ED runs....

BAD NEWS>>>>>>> THE COMBO WEIGHS A FREKING TON>>>>>MESA IS LYING ON THE WEIGHT, at least my body tells me that ever time i move the son of a gun....

Lol about the weight !
When I lug my 2x12 combo up the 22 stairs to my place, I almost feel
the vertebrae in my spine compressing with each step.
But once I get to where I'm going, it's worth the hassle.
More Wheaties for breakfast I guess :mrgreen:

edited to add ; Mesa has THE BEST amp handles in the business IMO !

bsic said:
Hey guys,

Looking for some input from current Edyne users - ive had my eye on this for almost a year. Ive had a few mesas in the past, like them, but they werent for me for various reasons. Year ago I went to a Budda superdrive, great rock sound but just lacks balls in the bass response... which from what I gather the Edyne does well at. I may mess with new speakers/cabs/etc on the Budda, but the Edyne has popped back into my head. The Budda also has shared EQ, but there is a volume change when switching channels that is getting annoying-- again, i can mod what I have or just look to the Edyne to solve the problems..

My questions :

1. Answered. I have the full head and its still a weighty beast, and its Biiig!

2. Still not really stretched the loop, Im running a T-rex twin boost in there with the delay so I have a lot more versatility with solos and stuff, it doesnt seem to like my delay though, probably user error tbh! :lol:

3. Well, using a strat with a little 59 in the bridge it cleans up superbly from the lo gain mode, perhaps a little less so on the Hi mode but its entirely subjective!

4. Well, I use a tuner, wah and fuzz into the front with no issues, I only use the fuzz on the clean channel but there is very, very little noise, I had the MV before and that thing really screamed but was quite unruly with pedals, probably due to the massive gain on tap! I much prefer the Dynes simpleness and easy to dial sounds but I do miss the versatility, hence adding the booster in the loop.

YellowJacket said:
OW OW OW!

Screw the combo, I'd rather a head and a cab. 2 less punishing trips is definitely preferable. How much do the dyne cabs weigh anyway?

ED 27"/Full Size head weighs in at 48.8 lbs
The 2x12 ED Cabinet is 50.5 lbs

I used a luggage scale on each piece, looks fairly accurate to me.

A folding hand cart/dolly would still be handy :)

Picking my new Electra Dyne up tomorrow-- Thx again for all the info folks!

The biggest downside I can see will be the weight- ive had a Stiletto in the past which was about the same at around 70lbs, and it was a heavy little beast. Casters helped my Stiletto and will on this as well. Really excited..

bsic said:
Hey guys,

My questions :

Coming from a Budda you will find the two amps are very similar.

But one thing you will never think the ED lacks is low end. I rarely put the bass above 10 o'clock.

Also, with the clean level in the back you can adjust the clean volume so that there is no volume change other then what you want going from clean to gain and back.

Question 1: A million pounds. Seriously I think it is 72 pounds. It is heavy, but with casters I can get in and out of my Pilot without any issues.

2: It is series

3. I haven't tried this much, and I am on vacation and away from my ED till Friday. But I remember it cleaning up farely decent. I don't think it turned into sparkly cleans like the clean channel, but cleaned up pretty good.

4. Works great with OCD and Tube screamer. I have not tried it but many also swear by the BB. Never had a pedal sound bad in front of it.

Latest posts

Back