E-Bay: Mesa Rectoverb Head - Possible Buyer Warning

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverwulf

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone knows this guy, or knows about this Rectoverb head:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280284033411&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

EDIT FOR THE RELIST:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280285079990

EDIT FOR RELIST #2:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280286001635

But I thought it good to give fair warning. I've contacted this guy multiple times asking questions about his amp, and he's being very "hush hush" about it.

I first noted that he has multiple (at least 2) stickers on the back from some "Banks Electronics" shop. I asked him multiple times how and if the amp was damaged before, no response. I asked him what "Banks" did to the amp head since they've obviously worked on it before, what they had to replace, and if it was all original, no response.

I then noted he was selling a set of EL34 tubes with it and asked him if he was aware that the amp wasn't biased to accept EL34 tubes. I asked him if he had previously tried using them or some other type of tube, no response. After sending another note, wondering if my previous ones got through, he wrote me back saying he wasn't going to entertain any of my questions and didn't want me to bid on his auction.

So to me, if you refuse to answer those types of questions on your auction page, I can only assume this thing has been damaged, repaired, and had who knows what tubes ran in it. Otherwise, you'd just send a quick note saying "Banks just retubed it and checked it over for me" instead of refusing to respond to legit questions and acting like a jerk.

That sends red flags up for me since he refuses full disclosure on what's been done to the amp, so take it for what it's worth and proceed with caution.

And for what it's worth, I checked Mesa's site for authorized repair locations. There's a "Sound Banks Electronics" that's a TV and radio repair store in the same town this guy lives in - not an authorized Mesa repair location.

It looks like the area code though is a "334," which is an AL number. I checked all authorized repair stations in AL, nothign close to "Banks Electronics" listed.

So, who knows how this amp was possibly damaged and what a possible non-authorized repair station did to it or replaced.

Great detective work, Silverwulf.

Those all all the right questions an educated buyer should be asking and his behavior is a big warning that says you're not getting what you think you're getting.

Oh, and don't forget to "check back in a couple of weeks for a sweet Carvin guitar!" :wink:

My favorite line:

this is richer and more dynamic that any other Rectoverb you have heard, bar none.

That's right. This particular amp is THE RICHEST and MOST DYNAMIC Rectoverb ever made. Fact.

It is much more uberz now. If it was that local TV and radio repair shop that worked on it, maybe they've modded it so you can steal cable from the neighbors now... :wink: You can rock out to Metallica while broadcasting reruns of "Seinfeld."

Darn the auction ended. I was going to ask the same questions to see what he'd say. I'd say this guy is not legit or a board member. Eitherway a knowledgable legit seller would have answered your questions.

I saw a series one head a couple of months back that mentioned the use of EL34's. I pointed out that the series one didn't have the bias select switch only the series two...Nothing but the sound of crickets. I passed.

It's turds like this that make me leary of fleabay.

Caveat Emptor.

He's now re-listed it and dropped his "Buy it Now." Apparently he dropped the BIN because he's no longer offering EL34's with it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280285079990

clutch71 said:
Darn the auction ended. I was going to ask the same questions to see what he'd say. I'd say this guy is not legit or a board member. Eitherway a knowledgable legit seller would have answered your questions.

I saw a series one head a couple of months back that mentioned the use of EL34's. I pointed out that the series one didn't have the bias select switch only the series two...Nothing but the sound of crickets. I passed.

It's turds like this that make me leary of fleabay.

Caveat Emptor.

I had my rectoverb rebiased at one point to accept EL34s so not all are bogus... although when i sold mine i mentioned that in the auction so people knew. Honestly i rather deal through craigslist or a gear forum because the paypal policies accociated with ebay auctions these days are flippin crazy.

jdurso said:
Honestly i rather deal through craigslist or a gear forum because the paypal policies accociated with ebay auctions these days are flippin crazy.

I hate the new E-Bay policies. There's NO consistency in what they do. They let a $500 payment pass through my account, and two days later held a $99 or so transaction. I called and asked them why they chose to hold a $99 transaction and release one over $500 and the rep told me "I don't know why it did that." Told them I was a 4-5 year long premiere account holder with nothing negative associated with my account, they didn't seem to care.

They told me that once the item was confirmed as arrived via the tracking number, the funds would release within 24 hours. 3 days later I had to call and ask them to release the funds. Best part? It happened on 2 other pedals I sold ($100 or so transactions). Both times, I had to call again and ask for my funds to be released.

Funny, his relist said "This is the last relist." Well, here it is again... :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280286001635

Silverwulf said:
jdurso said:
Honestly i rather deal through craigslist or a gear forum because the paypal policies accociated with ebay auctions these days are flippin crazy.

I hate the new E-Bay policies. There's NO consistency in what they do. They let a $500 payment pass through my account, and two days later held a $99 or so transaction. I called and asked them why they chose to hold a $99 transaction and release one over $500 and the rep told me "I don't know why it did that." Told them I was a 4-5 year long premiere account holder with nothing negative associated with my account, they didn't seem to care.

They told me that once the item was confirmed as arrived via the tracking number, the funds would release within 24 hours. 3 days later I had to call and ask them to release the funds. Best part? It happened on 2 other pedals I sold ($100 or so transactions). Both times, I had to call again and ask for my funds to be released.

actually the guy was an idiot becaue the policy is that they will release the hold 3 days after they have confirmed it got there.... next time tell him to read the documentation they give hm to d his job. None the less the policy sucks.. especially for those of us that have been ebay and paypal members for years with o negative feedback.

sick! isnt it a quincidence that my favorite model of carvin guitars is the "sweet carvin guitar!" SICK IM SO GETTING IT

Latest posts

Back