Duncan JB Vs. Dimarzio Super Distortion??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well i went with the super distortion. awesome pickup. hotter than the jb, and a little looser sounding. alot more squishy than the jb. it has a good balance with great lows, mids, and treble. it matches perfectly on my les paul with my electra dyne. couldnt be happier!

I had a Super distortion in my 78 les paul standard and it sounded killer. I have had a JB in a few other guitars (les paul style and others) Overall i thought it was a decent pickup but have moved away from that pickup. Currently (for the last 2 years) I have been using a Rio Grande Crunchbox which I love. Great harmonics, sustain and clarity.

The Super Distortion is definitely a classic...I suppose the JB is as well to some folks, but they're quite different!

bermuda_ said:
I have a question to ask you guys.

Which pickups would you guys consider to be the hottest pickups out there on the market today?

Hottest? I had some (brace yourself!) Mighty Mite Motherbuckers in a flying V for a long time. They were *very* hot, but the end result was just a very loud PAF tone. They were Alnico II magnets. Not a lot of harmonics, mostly mids, not much distortion, just LOUD. I swapped them for some generic ceramic humbuckers (~11 neck, ~18 bridge) and am much happier. Slightly less output with more versatile tones.

ty

The JB sounds great in an LP too, I always found the best way to get around 'ice-pick mids' sound is to roll the tone down to about 7 or 8. :wink:

I was reading a thread on the Seymour Duncan website all about hybrid pickups. You guys might find it interesting . . .

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22538

I have only played through JB's in a guitar at a store so very limited on experience with that.

As for the Dimarzio Super Distortion, I have one in my oldest Jackson that was the replacement to a SD Live Wire Metal (BTW, my idea of quite possibly the hottest pickup out there). I still get all the extreme drive to my head but now have more of the guitars tone as well. If your looking for 80's-90's rock/metal then I think that the Super Distortion serves the purpose well.

I have Super Distortions installed on many of my guitars and it's always a winner pickup... punchy bass, great mids and just the right amount of treble. From Kiss to Suffocation, this is a very versatile pickup.

I tried the jb and the super distortion in my SG - the jb just didn't have the punch that the sd has, so I stayed with the super distortion

I have the SD II & III in a LP...brutally tone filled and loud when you need them to be. They force you to learn your volume know a great deal more due to their freq. response. Love em!

I'm a metal player and I have 3 ESP's with Duncan JB's. They are for sure a good p/u for metal and a all around p/u for everything. There are plenty of guys using a JB for hi-gain especially if your not a fan of the steril EMG's. Will from Lamb of God uses a JB. If that's not prof enough than I don't know what is..

RectoStudioGuy said:
I have the SD II & III in a LP...brutally tone filled and loud when you need them to be. They force you to learn your volume know a great deal more due to their freq. response. Love em!
So you have the Super 2 in your axe? In which position, bridge or neck? I'm thinking about putting the Super 2 in the bridge position of my BC Rich Ironbird, to give it a sharper sound.

XxDAVIDxX said:
There are plenty of guys using a JB for hi-gain especially if your not a fan of the steril EMG's. Will from Lamb of God uses a JB. If that's not prof enough than I don't know what is..
Mmm good to know that; I remember reading somewhere that Dave Mustaine also used to have JBs in his Jacksons in the 80's and 90's.

As far as DiMarzio SD goes... The guys from Suffocation use them.

I have both the jb and a tone zone and the tone zone is alot better IMHO. A lot warmer and less screechy so to speak. Not as scooped as the jb so it works really well with high gain and drop tune.

I have had both; still have a DM SD in an Ibanez RG. As others have said, hot but not the warmest pup around. I think the JB is a better all around pup.

I have dimarzio x2n and d activator x. Both are hight output d activator is clearer slightly less output. http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/humbuckers/high-power
For Duncans I think the Avenger is their hottest pickup.

Deathf***ingmetal said:
RectoStudioGuy said:
So you have the Super 2 in your axe? In which position, bridge or neck? I'm thinking about putting the Super 2 in the bridge position of my BC Rich Ironbird, to give it a sharper sound.
The Super 2 is a neck pup and matches well with a Super 3 in the bridge. Really thick combo.

Back