Dual rectifier vs triple rectifier

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firmani99

Reaction score
I have a pre-reborn dual recto that I like quite a bit but I hate the parallel loop and it is doing something really strange where it sounds good through the 16 ohm output but not the others. I have an opportunity to pick up a reborn triple that is practically new for a decent deal. I know I can probably get my dual fixed or fix it myself but I am considering getting the triple.

Anyone have both? I would like the increased head room because I like to run a lot of lows. I would also like the fact that it it reborn and has the series loop. What are your opinions on dual vs triple? Does the triple really sound that much meatier?

The Duals actually sound thicker in the mids than the Triples to my ears.
The Triples have more clarity and projection across all frequencies IMO.
The reborns can both switch down to 50w though, without pulling out tubes.

Of those two amps (series2 3-channel Dual vs Multi-Watt Triple) No doubt go for the new Triple if $ is not the deciding factor.
Better loop, better cleans, more overall versatility, slightly tighter nastier (in a good way) gain tones.

Yeah, a Triple does indeed sound slightly different from an otherwise similar Dual. It has tighter low end, more punch and more clarity. More balls. A similar Dual will sound slightly woollier and tubbier in comparison. The difference may be relatively subtle and you might not hear it on a record, but you will hear it in a direct A/B test.

Honestly, I think that a Dual sounds great but a Triple sounds even better. But I've never actually owned a Triple - for the simple reason that I could never handle its 150 watts. That's just too much for me. :|
In your case, however, this would be a modern multi-watt Triple and you could easily drop its wattage with a switch, and bring it down to more manageable levels in situations where excess isn't barely enough and 150 watts is way too much. A Reborn will also have other advantages over an earlier 3-channel.

If I were you, I would go for the Triple. Without a second thought.

Another nice thing on the multi-watts is that you can just reach back and bump down the effects level knob to say 10:00-11:00 to give yourself a bit more padding on the volume knobs on the amp's front. (as long as the loop isn't bypassed of course)
You can run a patch or pedal and do it with the parallel loops with the mix knob blasted, but it's just more stuff in the path effecting tone.

All great info!! I keep hearing that the triple isn't necessarily much louder just tighter especially when you run the lows high. I hope this is true.

Latest posts

Back