Dual Rectifier tonal differences

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grindgod

Reaction score
Hey all, Im Adam and new to boogie boards as well as the Rectifier series amps, beings previously a mark series fan only. I recently traded for a Rack Mounted Dual Rec sn in the 4000's and was curious as to what the tonal differences were between these and other Duals, and also have been reading about pre 500 Dual rectos, and curious about them too. I chose this particular model because it is said they sounded superior to head versions.

I play it through a Road Ready Halfback 4x12
Thanks guys, look forward to getting to know ya all!

You've made a good choice! I've always heard that the racktifier have a more compressed and punchy sound because the tiny space obligated the manufactors to hand soldering some components which head versions had not. I suspect theres more than just that though.
As for the pre 500 rectifiers they were made with the transformers from MK III 100W PT's and OT's made by Schumacher. They stop using this transformers after #503.They also have a unique circuit board that was changed toward the end of 1992.
I'm also trying to get one dual or triple rectifier blackface/chrome chassis 2 CH or, like you, a dual rectifier rackmounted. Please let me know if you find one of these for selling.
Welcome!

No difference besides normal difference between amps, I have owned about 5 rack mounts and many head versions and all the two channels will sound alike in the dual line, like i said besides normal little tone changes that tubes will make happen.

grindgod said:
Hey all, Im Adam and new to boogie boards as well as the Rectifier series amps, beings previously a mark series fan only. I recently traded for a Rack Mounted Dual Rec sn in the 4000's and was curious as to what the tonal differences were between these and other Duals, and also have been reading about pre 500 Dual rectos, and curious about them too. I chose this particular model because it is said they sounded superior to head versions.

I play it through a Road Ready Halfback 4x12
Thanks guys, look forward to getting to know ya all!

Congrats on your choice, thats a smokin amp. I also felt it had more natural compression when a/bing with my 2 ch head, a bit more punch with the racktifier (same settings on both amps).
I now own a 96 tremoverb that I believe is one of the better rectifiers.
But again, great pickup! And Welcome to the boogie board. We're here to help.

I use to Own a very early dual, and they sound more like a SLO then a Mark III, the recto and the SLO are very close already as they share the same amp design with some differences.

Once again, as to rackmount vs head, the rackmount is a great amp, but I have had 2 channel heads that have more compression then rackmounts, everything depends on tubes and revisions etc.. Either way you got yourself a great amp.

grindgod said:
So the pre 500s will sound a little more like a MKIII? sick. I have a red stripe head, and I thought the Racto sounded alot like it.

Good choice. For the solo heads, thats the one to get IMO. I played with a guy that used one while I was using my Rev G DR. They both sounded very close but the rackto had a little more.

Latest posts

Back