Dual Rectifier Revison Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I misinterpreted, I'm sorry.

There is a legitimate difference, albeit slight, amongst each revision. I personally like D. Others C. Others G. etc. Each has their own taste. If you don't need a clean channel, shoot for C-E. Otherwise go for an F or G and use a pedal if you want it to be just a bit tighter like a D, E or C.

Picked up my Rev F at a GC in Raleigh. It belonged to one of the guys who works there.
Haven't tried any of the other incarnations except, briefly, a newer 3 ch.
No contest for my particular taste.
BTW, I also picked up an Alex's Attenuator and it's a cool addition for allowing you to crank your amp while knocking off some of the volume. Very little (if any) tone loss down to -9dB

Randall

strata189 said:
BTW, I also picked up an Alex's Attenuator and it's a cool addition for allowing you to crank your amp while knocking off some of the volume. Very little (if any) tone loss down to -9dB

Randall

Is that on of the boxes that you hook up between the head and the cab? I've heard that those put tremendous stress on the OT. And that you're supposed to use really thick, short speaker cables with them..

On another topic, I just ordered that Rev G, with a serial # in the mid 3000s I'e been talking about. I talked to the repair guy, and he said that the fuses blew, causing the tubes to break. He said that there was no collateral damage, and that the amp is 100%. I'll be playing it through a Marshall 1960 slant cab loaded with Celestion G12-65s (UK made). I'll let you guys know how it is once I get it in the mail.

Thanks for all the help,
-Adam

The newer generation of attenuators are really improved in terms of transparency.
A lot of people on The Gear Page use them, and I've heard no mention of any problems. I used a 100W Weber MASS for 5 years, every night with my DSL50. Never had a problem.
However the MASS couldn't handle the mighty Mesa, so I looked around and settled on Alex's.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=592533&highlight=alex%27s

Randall

Elpelotero said:
Otherwise go for an F or G and use a pedal if you want it to be just a bit tighter like a D, E or C.

From what I've read on the internet, it seems like alot of DR owners use Maxon 808s for their OD pedal. My roomate has a Boss OS-2 that sounds good. Anyone have the DOD FX10 pedal? I really like that one, although it's more of a clean boost; it's a bi-fet preamp. I run two side by side.

What year were the R-003550 serial number 2-ch DRs made? I'm trying to date the one I just bought.

Thanks,
-Adam

Personally, I don't have a problem with the clean channel on my Rev. E. It's not quite like my Lonestar (or the IIc+ for that matter), but there are plenty of good usable tones. I would like to try it against a Rev. C or D to compare, because I think everybody buys into the argument that the clean channel sucks on early dual rec's. I'm not calling you guys liars that have learned that from your experience; I'm just saying that too many people buy into that argument without questioning it.

Joel said:
Personally, I don't have a problem with the clean channel on my Rev. E. It's not quite like my Lonestar (or the IIc+ for that matter), but there are plenty of good usable tones. I would like to try it against a Rev. C or D to compare, because I think everybody buys into the argument that the clean channel sucks on early dual rec's. I'm not calling you guys liars that have learned that from your experience; I'm just saying that too many people buy into that argument without questioning it.

Revision E clean from experience is the same as C or D, except it has much more gain and breakup at lower volumes.

Can someone explain to me the difference between a Class A tube amp and a Class A/B? Is there a Class B and below?

Thanks,
-Adam

in all honesty, if you want a nice spread of recto tones without spending the cash.... I think you should buy a Trem-o-verb and a roadster.

Again, this is my opinion.

the pre500's are nice and do have their thing, but its up to you to decide if its worth the premium.

Fixxxer said:
in all honesty, if you want a nice spread of recto tones without spending the cash.... I think you should buy a Trem-o-verb and a roadster.

Again, this is my opinion.

the pre500's are nice and do have their thing, but its up to you to decide if its worth the premium.

What would I be gaining/losing by switching to the trem-o-verb or roadster? Also, anyone try the Marshall JCM 900 SL-X? I've read that it was Marshall's answer to the DR in the early-mid 90s.

The JCM900 SL-X was not Marshall's "answer" to the Recto, but a band-aid until they could design something to compete with the growing popularity of the high-gain market (eventually coming out with the JCM2000).

And the 900 has one channel and sounds thin and very general compared to a Recto. At least the one I had did.

The ironic part is the Recto was based on a Soldano SLO-100 (loosely), which in turn was based on a highly
modified Marshall.

But then again Marshalls were based off of the Fender Bassman circuit, so there ya go.

A Roadster will have more options channel-wise than the Tremoverb, but either one will be on hell of an amp.

Hope this helps. And good luck.

fluff191 said:
A Roadster will have more options channel-wise than the Tremoverb, but either one will be on hell of an amp.

Do they have as much balls (gain) as the DRs? How's Mesa's trem effect sound?

adam79 said:

Well they ARE Dual Rectos, as stated on the front of the panels. If you don't need 4 Channels, the Trem-o-verb
is by far one of the best sounding Recto models ever made. So full and rich sounding. Thats just my opinion though.

And they can be had for about half what a Roadster costs.

And the tremelo does not have any adverse effect on the sound that I am aware of.

fluff191 said:
adam79 said:

And the tremelo does not have any adverse effect on the sound that I am aware of.

I was asking how the tremolo sounds, with the effect engaged. Is there only one version of the Trem-O-Verb, or does it come in 2 and 3 channels like the DRs?

Thanks,
-Adam

Like I said, it has no adverse effect on the tone when the tremolo or reverb is engaged. Very good quality effects IMO. YouTube has some clips if you wish to hear the actual effect though.

And they only came in 2 Channel formats.

Latest posts

Back