Dual Rectifier Question/ Potential Problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave G.

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Been a while since ive posted on here!

Ive been playing my Dual now for a few years on the Bold And Diode settings, Today i decided to give the spongy mode a go, However when i switched the amp to spongy and powered it on it made a strange buzzing sound (not the normal one it makes when powered up), It was a constant buzzing noise and loud too, The footswitch also started acting odd, with it getting stuck on channels and needing to be pressed multiple times to change channel and when channel two was selected both LEDs for Channels two and three lit up on the amp, I didnt even take the amp off standby for fear of internal damage.

Do any of you guys have any idea what may be causing this? Its making that mode of the amp totally unusable as I cant take it off standby. It works fine in Diode/bold mode and tube rectifier/bold mode but as soon as i change it to spongy this happens.

Any help would be great guys!

Thanks
Dave

Dave G. said:
Hey guys,

Been a while since ive posted on here!

Ive been playing my Dual now for a few years on the Bold And Diode settings, Today i decided to give the spongy mode a go, However when i switched the amp to spongy and powered it on it made a strange buzzing sound (not the normal one it makes when powered up), It was a constant buzzing noise and loud too, The footswitch also started acting odd, with it getting stuck on channels and needing to be pressed multiple times to change channel and when channel two was selected both LEDs for Channels two and three lit up on the amp, I didnt even take the amp off standby for fear of internal damage.

Do any of you guys have any idea what may be causing this? Its making that mode of the amp totally unusable as I cant take it off standby. It works fine in Diode/bold mode and tube rectifier/bold mode but as soon as i change it to spongy this happens.

Any help would be great guys!

Thanks
Dave

May need new rectifier tubes

I would check out my AC voltage and confirm it is within a 5% variation of the specified one. Lower values than those required by the amp to work properly may lead to strange behaviours like the ones you described.

Best,
Marcelo

The rectifier tube mode works fine so i dont think thats the problem. Its just literally turning it to spongy, all other combinations work fine but as soon as you turn it to spongy and power it on it acts as above.

Latest posts

Back