Dual Rectifier & Orange PPC212

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boss4

Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm considering on purchasing an Orange PPC212 cabinet (closed back) to match my Dual Rectifier. My Mesa Std 4x12" is a monster and I'm planning using it only on larger venues. I've done some research and only see good things about it: Good projection and construction, nice mids, bass and not so "dark" as the Mesa 2x12". My confortable area is from classic rock to metal.
Anyone have any experience with this cabinet?
Thank you.

Orange PPC212:
DV016_Jpg_Large_424069.001.001_black_V.jpg

When I bought my dual rec I also bought this exact same cab because it came with V30 and was much cheaper here in Europe than a Mesa cab. I sold it a year later and purchased a Mesa Trad 4x12. There was something wrong with the combination dual rec-ppc212: VERY dry sounding and too fuzzy. It was punchy as hell though...I would choose the Mesa 2x12 without any hesitation.

Tom.

Serious? I'm not talking about the cheaper version (open back)! I'm from Europe too and the price of the closed back version is almost the same as the Recto2x12 cabinet! I play in a metal band but I also play in a rock covers band and the upper mids on this one seems more indicated for hard rock and even metal than the Mesa. Sometimes I think the Mesa is to bassy and do not cut in the mix so well. Maybe I've shoul have bought the traditional (smaller) cab. Is for this reason I'm considering some cabinet that help me getting some upper mids and a not so boomy tone.

boss4 said:
Serious? I'm not talking about the cheaper version (open back)! I'm from Europe too and the price of the closed back version is almost the same as the Recto2x12 cabinet! I play in a metal band but I also play in a rock covers band and the upper mids on this one seems more indicated for hard rock and even metal than the Mesa. Sometimes I think the Mesa is to bassy and do not cut in the mix so well. Maybe I've shoul have bought the traditional (smaller) cab. Is for this reason I'm considering some cabinet that help me getting some upper mids and a not so boomy tone.

Yep seriously...and I'm also talking about the closed-back version of the cab ;) I remember I bought mine new for 620 euros...you will never find the Mesa 2x12 new for less than 800 euros. YES the Recto 4x12 can sound very boomy, that is why I bought the traditional sized 4x12 cab, which sounds GLORIOUS! It sounds warmer, with more mids and more punch, without giving up on the lows. Anyway I don't think the Recto 212 will sound as boomy as the 4x12 version. Give it maybe a try ;)

Cheers,

Tom.

Guess I'll have to research some more... I was hoping to get a more mid pronounced tone by adquiring a diferente brand than Mesa. Maybe also to blend the new one with the 4x12" and get a more tight/punchy overdrive/distortion tone.
Thanks Tom.

More experiences with the Dual Recto/OrangePPC212, anyone?

I used to run my DR through an Orange PPC112 and loved the sound that came out of the combination as it was quite pronounced and really did the rock and punk genres very well. Personally, I'll use high gains every once in a while but really prefer a punchier, cleaner, thick, and full guitar sound; and received a lot of compliments on it. I thought that the PPC really accentuated the DR's tone in a way that a Mesa cab doesn't typically offer and would have kept it (really wish I could had) but couldn't afford to keep it and a 4x12. If I go back into the realm of looking for a smaller cab then I'll be seriously looking into the PPC212.

My favorite 212 cabs for my Dual Rec are the vertical Rectifier cab, Port City 212OS, Bogner 212OS and Stone Age 212C.

npo12354 said:
I used to run my DR through an Orange PPC112 and loved the sound that came out of the combination as it was quite pronounced and really did the rock and punk genres very well. Personally, I'll use high gains every once in a while but really prefer a punchier, cleaner, thick, and full guitar sound; and received a lot of compliments on it. I thought that the PPC really accentuated the DR's tone in a way that a Mesa cab doesn't typically offer and would have kept it (really wish I could had) but couldn't afford to keep it and a 4x12. If I go back into the realm of looking for a smaller cab then I'll be seriously looking into the PPC212.

Thank you.

Latest posts

Back