Dual Rectifier and Orange Rockerverb 50 A/B testing?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webstersp

Reaction score
Ok, I have a rockerverb 50 head + 4x12 Slant Orange Cab.
I really like the sound but I would like to have a bigger sound on palm muting. (have new JJ's High gain tubes from eurotubes)
I tried a tremoverb last week and wow the sound from this amp on palm muting was just great!
But I only palyed with it for about 5 mintues, not with a band.

What I like about the RV50 is that it sound great everywhere at any volume,
with the band at high volume at practice, at home in my appartment and in small gigs
where the sound guy don't have to tell me to lower my volume.
Sounds good, very good and it is plug and play!

I had a mesa mark IV before my orange. Really liked it but for me at least it was really not
plug and play. One thing about mesa, those amps are so loud.
The tremoverb I tried volume from 0 to 1 was almsot like 3 or 4 on my RV50!
I just want to be sure before I sell my RV50 and dont't want to regret it!

Any of you have tried them both? Dual and RV50?

If it can help you I'm playing in 2 bands. One that sound a bit like Rise Against, Strung out
and the other more like Finch, Story of The year and the used.
Thanks

I am not sure what strung out or finch use for amps, but I can tell you the rest of those groups use Marshall or orange which are closer to each other then the recto.

I really love the tone of the recent used album, and he uses Orange 30 rockers. I know Story of the year used in the past Marshall TSL60 for one guy and the other used a silver jubilee. Rise against i believe uses marshalls as well.

So basically I would keep the amp you have, few tricks you can try, put an EQ in the loops to beef up the bass, also try sticking some polyfill in the 4x12, it will make it appear to have more mass which will make it have more bottem end.

webstersp said:
Ok, I have a rockerverb 50 head + 4x12 Slant Orange Cab.
I really like the sound but I would like to have a bigger sound on palm muting. (have new JJ's High gain tubes from eurotubes)
I tried a tremoverb last week and wow the sound from this amp on palm muting was just great!
But I only palyed with it for about 5 mintues, not with a band.

What I like about the RV50 is that it sound great everywhere at any volume,
with the band at high volume at practice, at home in my appartment and in small gigs
where the sound guy don't have to tell me to lower my volume.
Sounds good, very good and it is plug and play!

I had a mesa mark IV before my orange. Really liked it but for me at least it was really not
plug and play. One thing about mesa, those amps are so loud.
The tremoverb I tried volume from 0 to 1 was almsot like 3 or 4 on my RV50!
I just want to be sure before I sell my RV50 and dont't want to regret it!

Any of you have tried them both? Dual and RV50?

If it can help you I'm playing in 2 bands. One that sound a bit like Rise Against, Strung out
and the other more like Finch, Story of The year and the used.
Thanks

Last time I saw Finch, the stage right guitar player had a JCM 900 and a marshall 4x12 but the other was running two vox AC30's next to each other.

The tones were pretty spot on for the Say Hello To Sunshine songs they played.

Finch = Diezel VH4 and Orange (I don't know the model) + Fender guitars most of the time. Altough during the "What is it to burn" period they played on Rectifiers most of the time + guitars with EMG active pickups.
Story of the Year = JCM2000 for both most of the time + PRS guitars. In studio they recorded pretty much everything on Bogner amps (XTC).
The Used = he switched not so long ago from Marshall to Orange amps. In the early years he used to play on dual/triple rectifier.

I would say:

Finch = Mesa/ Diezel or Orange (depends on which album you like the most)
SOTY = Marshall all the way
The Used = Marshall / Orange boosted

If I had to chose one amp that could do everything it would be the Mesa. You can play SOTY on a dual rec but you won't ever get the sound of "What is it to Burn" with an Orange Rockerveb.

Tom.

Getting a Mesa cab may be the ticket, I've done extensive A/B testing between Mesa and Orange cabs and the Mesa has a much tighter bass response, the Orange seemed to "flub out" much sooner. Plus Mesa V30s are made in England and are voiced slightly different than the Chinese V30s that come in the Orange cabs.

I used to own an RV50 and I still have an Orange 4x12. I hated the way the RV50 sounded and traded it for a Dual Recto. I also kind of hated the way the Recto sounded but I dealt with it. I bought a Recto 2x12 so I wouldn't have to drag the Orange 4x12 around all the time and suddenly my Recto sounded awesome. I then bought a Recto 4x12 and was the final nail in the Orange 4x12's coffin.

I sometimes wonder if I would've liked the RV50 if I'd use a Recto cab instead of an Orange.

tomprs said:
Finch = Diezel VH4 and Orange (I don't know the model) + Fender guitars most of the time. Altough during the "What is it to burn" period they played on Rectifiers most of the time + guitars with EMG active pickups.
Story of the Year = JCM2000 for both most of the time + PRS guitars. In studio they recorded pretty much everything on Bogner amps (XTC).
The Used = he switched not so long ago from Marshall to Orange amps. In the early years he used to play on dual/triple rectifier.

I would say:

Finch = Mesa/ Diezel or Orange (depends on which album you like the most)
SOTY = Marshall all the way
The Used = Marshall / Orange boosted

If I had to chose one amp that could do everything it would be the Mesa. You can play SOTY on a dual rec but you won't ever get the sound of "What is it to Burn" with an Orange Rockerveb.

Tom.

+1 for this. I love all of the bands listed above and have never had too much trouble nailing the sounds with my DR. I find that for Finch the biggest trick is in what type of guitar I use. I use my LP for "What it is to Burn" and a Strat for "Say Hello to Sunshine" sounds. One day maybe I'll get a PRS SE and get the best of both worlds. I can typically get good sounds for older Used work but haven't ever really tried to get anything dead on.

Keep the orange for small gigs and home and buy the tremoverb for larger venues...if you can.

Latest posts

Back