Dual Rec Multiwatt (Reborn) - First Thoughts

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunnski

Reaction score
I just got my new 2011 dual rec yesterday. I also own a Mark V and Road King for comparison. Initial thoughts: the new dual rec has less low end than the road king. I can turn the bass knob up all the way in vintage/modern modes on ch2/3 and not flub out the way the road king does when playing palm muted riffs. The road king has so much low end that I would tend to run the bass knob below noon for a lot of my really high gain sounds. For the dual rec, I feel like it translates into everything sounding more high gain and cutting than the traditional rectifier sound. A little closer to Mark V territory but still doing it's own thing. Unfortunately, I've never owned a dual rectifier so I can't really comment on how it compares to those. I know Haggerty's has some video's up A/Bing the two, but lets just say that I was shocked (pleasantly) at how different this dual rec sounds from my Road King.

The effects loop dramatically changes the tone when it is engaged vs not engaged. That's with nothing actually plugged into the loop; just turning the loop on and off with the footswitch. When I interfaced my TC electronic g system into the loop, everything worked just fine. I haven't tried using the relay remote switching yet but don't foresee any issues there as the tip to ground latching should be identical to the Mark V.

Clean mode in channel 1 is very clean. Hardly any breakup even with the gain maxed and hot humbuckers. As long as the mid control is kept down, it stays nice and clean. Pushed mode in ch1 and raw mode in channels 2/3 are much more useable for me. I tend to play mid to high gain stuff and don't have much need for super clean sounds so this is a nice change from the lower gain approach they took in channels 1 and 2 of the road king. Anyway, I definitely need more time to get a feel for the amp but just wanted to post my initial thoughts and get some conversation going with others that have also played the new recs.

Nice. it seems to me that the new rectos are more metal and not so numetal like its predecessors. And that is making me want to sell mine and get one of those or a 2ch one. Better would keep both though...
Oh, and it have the lonestar cleans, sweet!

Ok, so this is just a theory but here goes:

Mesa knows they hit the jackpot when they introduced the original Dual Rec to time out with the beginning of the chugga-chugga, no solos 90's world of metal. Now that solos and speed are making a comeback and there are actually a lot of metal bands that don't play 7 strings (I know there are still a bunch of djenters that disagree), maybe Mesa is trying to time the market again and attract a lot of the young shredders out there by giving the new Rectos more gain, more hi-mids and a tighter bass. Not that there is anything wrong with that...it was just something that crossed my mind when I was tearing it up last night and came to the realization that I don't feel like I need a compressor or overdrive in front of the amp to be able to solo effortlessly. I could never say that with my Road King.

The new 7th,8th (and 6th) string metal genre (djent, progressive,modern metal) in nowadays is more technical than the 90's numetal thing. But I also think that the new rectifiers are made to fulfill every metal genre out there and much more.

I bought my new "Multiwatt" not only for the classic rectifier sound, but for a ton of different tone options, that remind me of other amps.

The new model (in my opinion) is by far the best Recto ever. I played the earlier two channel models and would (and did) buy the new one. The ability to change rectifier settings, voltages (bold/spongy), tubes (EL34/6L6) and even wattage settings (50/100) make this amp able to do anything I want.

Everyone says if you want a Marshall, go buy a Marshall. You want a Soldano SLO, go buy one.... etc. With my new Recto, I can get VERY close to the sounds of these other amps, while always being able to dial in the traditional rectifier tone when needed.

Yeah, I like the new model. :D

Hey Nomad100, what are your thoughts on the difference in tone between the new rectifiers and the original 2 channel version you have? My only basis of comparison has been with my Road King, which I've heard is darker sounding than the regular dual recs. Or, anyone else that has both...feel free to chime in.

Gunnski said:
Hey Nomad100, what are your thoughts on the difference in tone between the new rectifiers and the original 2 channel version you have? My only basis of comparison has been with my Road King, which I've heard is darker sounding than the regular dual recs. Or, anyone else that has both...feel free to chime in.

I don't own, and have never owned a two channel Recto... but, I've spent time with a bunch of them, as many of my guitar playing friends were using them back in the 90's.

I actually liked the the two channel models, but I didn't find them very versatile. I also thought they were not bright enough for me. I'm mainly a Marshall guy (JCM 800, and late 70's JMP's). I tend to like a brighter tone, as I find it cuts through a mix better on stage with a full band. It's one of the things I really like about the newer Recto... it's a brighter Recto. (and it's also one of the main reasons I've stayed away from the Roadster and Road King. The're great amps, but are a little to dark for me).

Yes, thats the problem I have with mine. The sound of it alone and the versatility (normal 3ch recto) are very good, but in the band mix it gets lost in it.Try to compensate it with more volume its not a good idea! And if the roadsters and the roadkings are even darker...
Thats why a while ago I was close to buy an early 2ch recto or a racktifier, but with the needs for a decent clean channel and some versatility, I think the multy-watt is the way to go.

Well, it's been over a week now. Still lovin' the tone I'm getting from this amp. Not to bash on the Road King but I was glad about a few more differences. These have nothing to do with tone but are still nice:

1) The new 3 x 2 footswitch layout is nice and compact. I wonder if anyone had a big enough pedalboard to fit the Road King foot controller other than touring players.
2) It weights around 40 lbs vs. almost 70 lbs for the Road King. So much easier to carry...almost too easy :)
3) The power cable plugs into the back panel and can easily be removed for transportation. Unlike the Road King which had the plug on the inside of the chassis and was hard bolted to the side of the shell.

One thing I don't like:

The very first time you switch between channels 2 and 3, you get a giant POP...I know all Mesa's have this problem to a degree but this is one loud mutha of a pop. The old 'switching channels while in standby' trick doesn't seem to reduce the intensity of the pop either. I really wish Mesa would find some way to fix this. Anyone know why their amps always have this 'feature'?

Gunnski said:
One thing I don't like:

The very first time you switch between channels 2 and 3, you get a giant POP...I know all Mesa's have this problem to a degree but this is one loud mutha of a pop. The old 'switching channels while in standby' trick doesn't seem to reduce the intensity of the pop either. I really wish Mesa would find some way to fix this. Anyone know why their amps always have this 'feature'?

When they started producing the 3 channel recto heads, they switched from LDR optic switching (which was noiseless) to relay switching. IIRC the reason the relays cause the "pop" is due to built up static in the switching system being released. If you power up the head on standby and switch between all the channel for about 30 seconds it will really lessen the "pop".

now i haven't heard what the reborn series sound like. i've heard nothing but good things over it's 3 channel predecessor. I've had one and it was good classic recto sound. The thing that really bothered me was the popping and latency delay when switching channels. I switch alot and need an amp to keep up with me when I need that switch. The older mesa didn't please me so i eventually sold it. I got a trade on a 2 channel rev g triple and couldn't be happier. There is a slight pop but the switching is instant and I actually like the cleans quite a bit. The distortion IMO is better than the 3 channel I had in the past...not that much though but I can certainly hear the difference.

The Reborn heads are definitely a huge improvement over the older 3 channel modern. They definitely have the mojo of the old 2 channel amps, but they are way more versatile and the clean tone is very good. Of course each flavour of recto is slightly different from the last so it is all a question of needs. I have sensitive ears so I honestly find my Rev F Dual Rec bright and I think anything brighter would really bug me.

JCDenton6 said:
When they started producing the 3 channel recto heads, they switched from LDR optic switching (which was noiseless) to relay switching. IIRC the reason the relays cause the "pop" is due to built up static in the switching system being released. If you power up the head on standby and switch between all the channel for about 30 seconds it will really lessen the "pop".

Now that really makes we wonder why they don't switch back to the optic switches. The pop and latency seem to be two of the biggest complaints people have about Mesa amps. I can't imagine the switching network is anywhere near the signal path so it can't be for reasons of tone integrity...then again I'm not an amp designer.

Gunnski said:
Well, it's been over a week now. Still lovin' the tone I'm getting from this amp.

2) It weights around 40 lbs vs. almost 70 lbs for the Road King. So much easier to carry...almost too easy :)
3) The power cable plugs into the back panel and can easily be removed for transportation. Unlike the Road King which had the plug on the inside of the chassis and was hard bolted to the side of the shell.

Glad to hear you are still digging the head man. I am still loving mine too! It's hard to believe I've almost had them a year! I keep mine in a double head flight case 99% of the time, and I just took one out to jam at home with, and I had honestly forgotten how light these Duals iare compared to my older 3 channel Triple Rec. I also love the power cable as well. They seemed to have switched power cable providers, because this one seats into the back of the head MUCH more securely than my older 3 channel's did.

-AJH

Latest posts

Back