Dual Rec Efx loop problems. Please Help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ukalali Solo

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So i've been trying to get answers for this problem for weeks now with really no resolve.

I have a 2003 Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Solo 50H (3 channel). It is a great amp, especially as a rhythm guitarist in a metal band. However, for personal use i have ALWAYS used either a slight delay or reverb in the efx loop of my amps. The Dual Rec effects loop seems to be almost useless, when i try to put my DD3 or my GMajor in there, it sucks so much overall "punch" and tone, that it kills so much of the amp's integrity. My lead tone now is suffering...

...i'm looking for any sort of advice other Dual/Trip Rec users may have when it comes to this dilemma. I've heard its a problem every D/T Rec user has...

...is there anything that can be done?

Anything will help,
Felipe

I had this problem with my g system, sounds a lot like what you are going through. I ended up selling my dual rec and getting a mark iv, but what i suppose you could do is put everything in front of the amp even though it probably won't sound as good as it should. Oher than that I don't really think the dual rec FX loop is really that great, I could never get it to work with modualtion and delays or really anything for that matter.

Turn the effects you use in the loop to completely wet (100%) so no dry tone is coming through. Have the send control between 11:00 and 1:00. Have the mix control as close to off as possible (start at 0 and slowly turn it up until you have the mix you want). I do this with my G-Major and Rocktron Short Timer and have no issues with it.

I have a 2 channel Dual Rec, so I don't know how much difference there is between the 3 and 2 channel effects loop. I didn't have my 3 channel long enough to find out.

On mine, I keep the Send and Mix controls dimed, then I adjust the levels on my effects so there's not a significant volume change between having them off, on, and between both channels.

Well here's the deal with the G Major situation...

...there is a Dry Kill option that will kill the dry signal (der). However, it looks like when that happens, the input/output controls get disabled on the G Major, so i can't really boost the signal back in, hence the punch and volume drop.

I will try that out again when i get back to my practice space.

Is modding a DR to series loop a feasable idea? ANyone know if its worth it?

Had my MTR modded to a series loop and it's now usable with stomp boxe delays. I run a DD-5 (with tap tempo) through the loop and it's basically like chalk and cheese in sound. Most stomp time based effects need to be run through a series loop anyway. Mesa's (more so the Solo series) have a parallel loop and they aren't the best that I've heard either, it's hard to get a good loop in high gain amps but the series mod (i found) was as described above, chalk and cheese. I know Mesa in Hollywood can do the mods, give them a call to explain it if you get the chance.

acidguitar said:
Had my MTR modded to a series loop and it's now usable with stomp boxe delays. I run a DD-5 (with tap tempo) through the loop and it's basically like chalk and cheese in sound. Most stomp time based effects need to be run through a series loop anyway. Mesa's (more so the Solo series) have a parallel loop and they aren't the best that I've heard either, it's hard to get a good loop in high gain amps but the series mod (i found) was as described above, chalk and cheese. I know Mesa in Hollywood can do the mods, give them a call to explain it if you get the chance.

Heh, i hate to sound like a tard, but what exactly do you mean "chalk and cheese" (never heard that expression before).

Since the amp is over 5 years old, i was thinking of getting it done by an amp tech i know. Is this a good idea? Or when it comes to mesa mods is the rule to get it done strictly by mesa dealers?

Also, i heard changing the loop to series will disable the solo function and the master function as well?

OK i thought about something today that could be a decent fix, i can't really try it out until i go back to my band's practice space on sunday, but here it is:

My roommate had suggested just using the solo function to compensate for when the FX Loop is turned on. I found this pretty impractical, as i already dance around 5-6 pedals, and a midi controller, as well as the DR Footswitch...

...so would i be able to use a Y-stereo cable and run that from my TC G Major's external switching function to the external controls on the DR (for FX Loop and Solo). Then set all my lead patches on the G Major to turn on both the Loop and Solo. Would i be able to use the Mesa Footswitch at the same time as the external controls on the G Major.

Ukalali Solo said:
OK i thought about something today that could be a decent fix, i can't really try it out until i go back to my band's practice space on sunday, but here it is:

My roommate had suggested just using the solo function to compensate for when the FX Loop is turned on. I found this pretty impractical, as i already dance around 5-6 pedals, and a midi controller, as well as the DR Footswitch...

...so would i be able to use a Y-stereo cable and run that from my TC G Major's external switching function to the external controls on the DR (for FX Loop and Solo). Then set all my lead patches on the G Major to turn on both the Loop and Solo. Would i be able to use the Mesa Footswitch at the same time as the external controls on the G Major.

have you tried this yet? seems like a good idea.

Dead Moon Rising said:
Ukalali Solo said:

have you tried this yet? seems like a good idea.

I just ended up getting the mod done.

Cool, i just finished modding mine about 10 minutes ago. but it didn't fix the tone sucking of my PODxt. it sounds fine clean, but kills my tone when distorted. It looks like i'm bringing my old ART SGX-Nitro out of retirement. But i'm addicted to the Chorus and Sweep Echo on the POD.

Back