Does Tweed Power mean 6v6's are a go? Yellow Jackets + IIC+?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoner

Reaction score
Here is a question for all you techie types out there. If an earlier Mk series amp has Tweed Power switching, can a guy just drop in a quad of 6v6's like one would on a MKIV? My Simul-Sat had Tweed, too, but I never tried it out when I had it. I am sending my IIC+ to MB at MB for its 25 year check up (time to replace those stock tubes maybe?? :lol: ) and was mulling a Tweed Power mod if they offer it so I can get more power amp voicing options for low and mid-gain tones. I almost bought a Heartbreaker head beacause I am wanting to go low power MK style and find the class A 15 watt setting is still not allowing much power amp saturation, but decidied to put the money into my IIC+ so I can play it every day and use it as my main recording source (headshell time - I'm too old to carry that **** 1x12 EV combo anymore :oops: :oops: :oops: how lame is that? ). Any thought on how to throttle down the Beast? Anyone use Yellow Jackets in their MK series 100 watters? I am not a fan of attenuation and love the sound of tubes working hard. My 20 watt Subway Blues about 12:00 is perfection, so I want to see if I can drop the big boy down into that range. Thanks in advance for any help. Z

DSCN3635boog.jpg

Well, if 15 watts in "Class A" is not enuff, then how would four 6V6s be better? That's gonna to be about 40 watts.

Zoner said:
Anyone find the 15 watt mode still way too "clean"? Z

You still have to crank the master to get power tube saturation.
And the first Volume control should be at least at 7.
Are you running EL-34s or 6L6s in the outer pair?
EL-34s should break up sooner.

Try some yellow jackets in the outer sockets and then run the amp in class A? Worth a shot. Your IIC+ is a 120v model, not an export, correct?

I have wanted to try two 6V6s and two yellowjackets in a Mark IV in tweed mode. I wonder how it would sound?

Latest posts

Back