Dimarzio D-Activator anyone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacko123

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have a Mark V and I bought a Ibanez 450DX for cheap and would like to change the pickups. My main style is thrash. Chuggah chuggah chuggah.

Has anyone tried D-Activator in one of their axes? Your thoughts? I know thre's also the D-Activator X which I understand has more low end.

Thanks!

For thrash, I prefer pickups with lots of midrange and very little bottom end (ie, EMG 81). The problem with too much bottom end is that it bloats the preamp and your rhythm picking becomes less focused (ie, muddy).

Your mileage may vary...

That's a good point about the low end. It sure cuts through the mix a lot more.

I wonder what Hetfiled used for pickups on the Kill 'em All album to Master of Puppets

I have the D-Activator pickups in my Xiphos. They came stock. I like them a lot. They are pretty tight sounding. They are marketed as a passive pickups that sounds like an active and I think they are close on that. The cleans sounds are actually pretty decent and I've done some jazzy sounding stuff with them with no problems. The bottom end isn't too big. I don't think they get flubby at all. I don't have any experience with the D-Activator X's though.

I saw a video interview with Chris Broderick and he said he was using Bare Knuckle Pickups but switched the the D-Activators.

Jacko123 said:

I wonder what Hetfiled used for pickups on the Kill 'em All album to Master of Puppets

It's been awhile so I might get some details wrong...

He was using a Duncan Invader for Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning. While touring for RTL he was turned on to EMGs and started using them mid tour. MoP was recorded using guitars loaded with EMGs as well as the one with the Invader. Since then he's mostly retired the guitar with the Invader, although he does break out guitars with passive pickups for recording when the song/tone requires it.

Another good thrashy pickup is the Duncan JB. I'm not a huge fan of it, but it does push a lot of midrange and it will stay tight (see: Dave Mustaine).

For Thrash I'd recommend a.....

Dimarzio Super2- It's a Super Distortion that's pushing more mids and a little less lows. IMO it's like Dimarzio's version of the Duncan JB

Dimarzio X2N- Not for those who need a clean sound though

Jacko123 said:

I think Kirk and James both used Gibson pickups, probably the 500t since it came stock in the explorer and the V.

Another great passive is the duncan distortion I have them in 2 guitars (usa jackson king v and kxk v1)and use a boost into a triple rec w/a vader cab and the sound is very tight, thick and aggressive which is great considering I play death metal. I have a invader on a korean bc rich v that is very bright and the invader thickens it considerably, it brings the sound closer to the jackson but still a little bottom heavy. Im interested in the bare knuckle painkiller but its $150. The distortion would work great for thrash, tight lows lots of mids, screaming highs. Eric Peterson of testament use to use one.

What's up folks?

I've been sort of tooling with the idea to throw these D-Activators in one of my PRS Standard 24s to replace the stock HFS in there now. The D-acts appear to be sweet and punchy..tight and articulate..and clean up well. These on my PRS would proably sound pretty killer through both my Mark IIIs. Hmm..thinking..but, I definitely think I'm going the Dimarzio route for sure.

~Nep~

Latest posts

Back