Difference btwn switching channels and using solo function?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared Purdy

Reaction score
Howdy,
I'm still getting to know my LSS, and loving every minute I play it. It's a very well thought out amp. My question is, if I am not using the FX Loop, and it is set to Hard By-pass, is it the same as just switching channels to jump between rhythm and lead?

Otherwise, if I have the FX loop engaged, and the solo function set to the desired volume, what is the difference between switching channels to play lead, as oppossed to using the solo function? I've read the manual, and it says that there is a circuit change, more tubes involved yadda, yadda, yadda. What is the difference if I'm not using any out board pedals, aside from the channel and solo switching pedal that comes with the amp?????

Thanks, Jared Purdy

The solo function allows you to set an alternate volume level, and it works on either level. I note that you said yours is set up for rhythm and lead, however lots of people will use the two channels for clean and crunch rhythm duties, then use the solo boost to kick their rhythm tone up in volume so that it can serve as a lead tone as the extra volume helps it to stand out more against the rest of the band.

For example, if you're using channel 1 as your clean channel and you want to play a clean solo you can use the solo feature to boost the volume level to make single notes stand out a little more against the rest of the band.

Ahh! That makes sense. That`s for that. I`ll have to play around with that after work. How does it affect the tone, or does it??

Although I use the FX Loop, I think the tone of the amp with the FX loop bypassed is soooo much better. But I love the solo boost and use it often (almost every song!!) For recording, I would bypass the FX loop for more "pure" tone.

messaboog1e said:
Although I use the FX Loop, I think the tone of the amp with the FX loop bypassed is soooo much better. But I love the solo boost and use it often (almost every song!!) For recording, I would bypass the FX loop for more "pure" tone.

Thanks for the tips. When I went over the user manual (again), it says exatly what you're both saying. Hearing is believing! Thanks. It's such a great amp. I really think they did a great job on this one (it would be even better if it had tremelo!)

Regards, Jared

Jared Purdy said:
Ahh! That makes sense. That`s for that. I`ll have to play around with that after work. How does it affect the tone, or does it??
How can you be at work when you just got the amp? I'd take a week or two off :wink: Enjoy it.

I guess I should count my blessings that I am a college professor and I have a fair bit of time before, between and after classes to sit around and pick, and play with my amps! But yes, in the days immediately after getting it, I'd give it a little pat before leaving the house!

Latest posts

Back