Demo JP-2C, Helix, Cab Clone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheehanje

Reaction score
I recorded a very quick demo of my setup using cab clone.

Link is here: https://soundcloud.com/john-sheehan-21/jp-2c-cab-clone-demo

Word of warning - I'm a fairly pedestrian player.

A cut and paste from my sound cloud description:

This is a very quick demo of a JP-2C using Cab Clone in "vintage" setting.

Guitar is an Ernie Ball Music Man Majesty
Recorded with Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 and Reaper DAW.
Line 6 Helix is used in 4CM Method - I use chorus on the clean tone, and small amounts of delay in the rhythm (channel 2) and leads (channel 3).

Boost is kicked on for a part of the rhythm demo, and is always on the lead channel.

In order:

Clean Tone - Bridge Position
Clean Tone - Piezo Pickup
Rhythm Tone - Bridge Position
Rhythm Tone w/Boost - Bridge Position
Lead Tone - Bridge Position (Boost engaged)
Lead Tone - Neck Position (Boost engaged)

I think the cabclone sounds fine. I do not have a daw right now but would use the cabclone.
Good Job

MrHIwatt

Mrhiwatt said:
I think the cabclone sounds fine. I do not have a daw right now but would use the cabclone.
Good Job

MrHIwatt

Thanks! I am going to get together a demo full track soon with bass and drums.

Sheehanje,

Thank you for the demo. Sounded great ! Was wondering how it sounds at gig volume and how you have the Helix running through the amp as well as your setup/rig for gigging. I have the JP-2C/Vertical Recto 2x12 rig with a pedalboard that I use live and was thinking of going with the Helix.

Cheers,

Riki

Riki said:
Sheehanje,

Thank you for the demo. Sounded great ! Was wondering how it sounds at gig volume and how you have the Helix running through the amp as well as your setup/rig for gigging. I have the JP-2C/Vertical Recto 2x12 rig with a pedalboard that I use live and was thinking of going with the Helix.

Cheers,

Riki

I'm using Helix using the supplied 4 Cable Method Template with one slight change - I don't use the 1/4" out and instead use a separate send to go to the amp return...

So in my setup it's:

Send 1 ---> Amp Input
Send 2 ---> Amp Return
Return 1 ---> Amp Send
Guitar --> Guitar in

This way it bypasses the Helix Volume Control knob - which I don't like in 4CM because it's too easy to accidentally turn it.

I've only done 1 gig so far with this setup, and it was (almost) flawless. Since the 2.0 firmware I've gotten it to be seamless - they introduced snapshots (which is called Scenes on some other devices) -- So I have 1 patch setup that can change my channels, and either turn on or off effects I need on each channel. It can even change the parameters of the effects - so if I want to have Channel 3 with more delay then Channel 2, I have a snapshot that switches to channel 3 and changes the parameters of my delay effect.

The only issue I had live was that one of my snapshots changes to my lead channel, turns on an extra delay, and turns on my wah pedal --- when I used it live, for some reason the wah started out in heel position even though the pedal was in toe position. I just have to make sure to return it to toe position before switching to another snapshot.

When using my JP-2C with the Helix, I don't opt for any amp, preamp, or cabinet modelling. I do use a lot of the modelling when I'm just doing scratch recording - and it sounds lightyears better than anything Line6 put out before. The looper works well with the JP-2C, but not a feature I use a lot.

It's a great combination between the two. When I had the Mark V, it took a very long time to get everything to behave correctly - with the JP-2C it just seemed to work. Midi is a great addition, and so is cab clone. I've basically ditched my mini amp gizmo and my two notes torpedo reload. It will be a long long time before I think about buying a new amp or pedal board.

One other crazy thing I can do is run my bass player through the second path of the helix and out a different send - so he can benefit too. It wouldn't be as doable if they hadn't of offered snapshots because I would have to keep switching patches - but now that I can do 90% of what I need in a single patch, I don't have to change and his effects stays solid even when I'm changing mine.

Finally - the helix has INSANE routing capabilities for a consumer device.

One last thing - my whole rig consist of just the following now:

JP-2C
2 1X12 Wide Body Cabinets (one closed back, one open)
Helix
20' Pedal Python with 3 Planet Waves 1/4" cables, midi cable and power lead running through it
Line6 G10 Relay (new wireless I just got, worked great at my first gig)
Furman Power Conditioner

When I get it set back up I'll take a photo of it - really an easy rig to setup and break down and sounds awesome. The only think I'm thinking about is getting one of those vertical 2x12 cabs like you have - but mainly to have a differently voiced speaker (c90 vs. v30's)

Back