Deicide dirty tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disfigured

Reaction score
Hello, fellow Mesa Boogie users.
I am a proud owner of an used Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier solo head equipped with Harley Benton G212 Vintage cabinet. I play mainly black metal and death metal. Recently I found out that the Hoffman brothers from Deicide are very dedicated users of Mesa Boogie amps (well, that's no surprise - the Boogie amps are killer). On the concert video from Nottingham they achieved a very similar sound to Infernus' of Gorgoroth tone from Black Mass Krakow DVD. I have a question - how do I reach this killer dirty death metal tone. Just from the very beginning these palm mutted chords rip my entrails, I have to get that!

Deicide live @ Rescue Room, Nottingham
Gorgoroth live @ Krzemionki, Kraków

Thank you for your help!

@edit
Oh yeah, that's the thing I managed to get.

whoa, all i hear is fuzzy scratchy noise on that clip..

got a better recording to listen to, to go by?

Hmm, you mean Live at Nottingham or Black Mass Krakow? These are the recordings I want to base on, besides I have no problem with getting the melody, lol.
If it comes to Black Mass Krakow - you can always type that in the YouTube search window and look for other tracks, they may have better quality, but all these clips come from official releases.

well, i would think your dual recty could give you the crunch factor you need..
but this almost sounds like a mix-effect; even add an impulse cab effect for the severe chop effect on the palm muting......
maybe a really aggressive gate on the cab mic, or a noise gate on the guitar signal..
but this sounds super clean-produced, capture wise....
i bet the engineer/producer of this band would have more info

i think the Deicide show is a pedal into the clean channel(prolly a MT-2 or similar). look at the rectos green light. plus that sound is ultra brittle and fuzzy (nothing wrong with that) but thats not a recto tone. the most brutal recto tone for me is Pat 'O Brien`s from Cannibal.

Hmm, I don't expect to get the exact tone like on the record, but would like to get as close as I can get. I mean those palm mutes really do the thing, it's like one of the heaviest records I've heard.

@up
Doesn't Pat use the MT-2 pedals? Besides, I'd love to get his settings.

Pat uses a keeley modded MT-2 as an overdrive, gain off, vol max, and eq`d to taste. he use pretty extreme settings on his triple. i had an e-mail with them and it was like gain dimed, bass 2oclock, mids 10oclock, treb 1oclock. pres and master vol changed from place to place.

Wow, didn't anybody get his Rectifier EQ settings?

Hmm. I've been messing around with the equaliser and after I've set presence to 10:00, master to 10:30, gain to 4:00, bass to a little bit below 3:00, mid to 8:30 and finally treble to 12:30 and on top of that all turned the output volume up until walls of my room started to shake I've achieved something similar. I've got to wait until I get the rehearsal room finished so I can rock the living **** out of this amp.

Besides - what's with that warning in the manual that you shouldn't turn treble above 2:30 when the gain is maxed and is maxed gain in any way harmful to the tubes or amp? Sorry, I'm kind of a greenhorn as the only tube amplifier I've been working with so far was Marshall JVM 210H.

No way man. Cannibal Corpse is great and it fits band's character perfectly, but Deicide's tone - freaking brutal.

Besides, I think I reached the "Once Upon the Cross" tone, but as you've said before - their gig tone has to be boosted by some pedal.

Disfigured said:
Besides - what's with that warning in the manual that you shouldn't turn treble above 2:30 when the gain is maxed and is maxed gain in any way harmful to the tubes or amp?

My educated guess....... it has to do with high gain and high treble tending to cause microphonic feedback in the tubes, or at least causing excessive feedback with the guitar.

Can't comment on the tunes, not my style or my genre. I don't get it, I confess. Too much distortion to be meaningful in my book, but they make amps for that so there must be a use for it. Surely there has to be a way to make the sound more articulate? Maybe it's because it's a youtube clip, but it's almost impossible (for my ears) to tell what they are playing. If there wasn't any bass player I wouldn't have a clue what chord or key or anything......

My educated guess....... it has to do with high gain and high treble tending to cause microphonic feedback in the tubes, or at least causing excessive feedback with the guitar.
So I guess that turning both gain and treble knob above 2:30 at the same time won't break anything up? I'm kind of paranoid about the amp.

Latest posts

Back