Decent 7 String guitar suggestions?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iFreedom

Reaction score
I've been kicking this around for a few months now. I've tried Schecter C-7's and LTD's. Didn't like them, sounded too muddy and couldn't get that crisp sound. Although, I can never try one thru a mark V which is my amp. The one guitar I loved the sound on was the ibanez xiphos - it seemed to rule for lead work - but man, does this guitar look wierd or what?! I also did try one LTD flying v that sounded good for rhythum but died on leads.

Can anybody suggest a decent 7 string that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg like the bfr jp7 - which to me sounded the best. But 3k?

elvis said:
You can get a used Universe for under $1000. They're the best for my money.

It's very rare to see a UV go for under 1000, but you can find RG1527's and 7620's for under 1000, which are very nice too

if you want a 7 for ok loot, get an ibanez, just stay away from the 7321!!!!!!!! 7620's (discontinued) are prob the best for the cash. in my ever so humble opinion. in the end my vote is for 1527 or jcustom.

The 1527 and the 7620 are actually the same guitar, only diff is the 1527 is the Prestige release.

For the OP, check out this site for info on Ibanez 7's

http://www.jemsite.com/articles-menu/ibanez-and-other-guitars-info/

If you're on a budget then go with the Jackson 7 string Christian Olde Wolbers Signature Model. I picked mine up for about $500 new in 2008. It plays very well and sounds thunderous. I'm using it for all of the 7 string rhythm work on my next record. The bonus with this guitar is that you can swap out the EMG 707 with an 81-7. I keep the 707 installed because most of the rhythms we're creating are Petrucci-ish in nature so it's nice to have a bit more headroom and less compression. I still layer two other rhythm guitars with the 81-7 for a more defined tone notewise. It sounds fantastic.

If that's not your cup of tea, then go with an Ibanez. They practically invented the 7 string guitar.

+1 to a used 1527 or 7620. Out of all the 7 strings out there I've always found that Ibanez has consistently made the best sounding/playing 7s, imo. the S7320 is a killer guitar for the money too.

I have a Schecter C-7 FR Hellraiser ( I know you said you didn't like them, but) that I can get to sound great through my Roadster, so I bet it would sound awesome through a MkV. Also I have an Ibanez S7320, which is one of the most comfortable guitars I've ever played. Also, later this year, Ibanez is re-releasing a 24-fret version of that guitar, and calling it the S7420 (which if I'm not mistaken is the name of a guitar that Ibanez discontinued...). Personally, I would recommend either of these because they are very versatile.

Latest posts

Back