DC-3 With a EVM 12L Pro Line

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJ Slaughter

Reaction score
I have been enjoying my DC-3 for very small gigs and rehearsals because it's easy to pickup and go. I do use a Thiele loaded with a EVM 12L for most other gigs when I don't want to take my DC-10. Though the combo alone sounds good to me it does lack low end but thats why I have the Thiele.

I wasn't looking for it but by chance I notice a EVM for sale 15 minutes from me for only $75 so I had to buy it. A tech with EV, Bosch, told me after looking at pictures that it is a EVM 12L Pro Line rated at 300 watts. Curious I put it in the DC-3 combo and what a difference. More articulate with much more better low end. Not like a 100 watt head but good for a little 30 watter. No need to worry about speaker breakup let alone blowing it out. Coupled with the Thiele it is quite the little monster. If the DC-10 head with 2x12 cab didn't sound so good it's self it might have to go simply because it hasn't got much use lately, though if I sold it I know I'd regret it later.

The downside, the EV adds like 15 lbs to my little amp now.

I havent gotten a chance to gig with my DC3 yet since I got it a couple of weeks ago but I doubt I will have the master much past 2! lol! We play classic rock at local bars. The DC3 is by far the loudest 4 EL84 amp Ive heard -punchy too. I'll probably use it with the stock V30 and an ext cab loaded with a Emi Delta Pro 12A on the other side of the stage. Perfect gigging size IMO. Heck if I need more volume I better be miked. Now if I can only get a handle on this amps extremely hot bias situation. Bob

BobR said:
I havent gotten a chance to gig with my DC3 yet since I got it a couple of weeks ago but I doubt I will have the master much past 2! lol! We play classic rock at local bars. The DC3 is by far the loudest 4 EL84 amp Ive heard -punchy too. I'll probably use it with the stock V30 and an ext cab loaded with a Emi Delta Pro 12A on the other side of the stage. Perfect gigging size IMO. Heck if I need more volume I better be miked. Now if I can only get a handle on this amps extremely hot bias situation. Bob

Sometimes I find the lead channel has too much overdrive for my needs with some of the classic rock and new country I do so I back the gain down to about 3-4 and raise the master. If I didn't need a fairly clean sound as well I would just use the clean channel with the gain up more. Versatile little amps.

MJ Slaughter said:
BobR said:

Sometimes I find the lead channel has too much overdrive for my needs with some of the classic rock and new country I do so I back the gain down to about 3-4 and raise the master. If I didn't need a fairly clean sound as well I would just use the clean channel with the gain up more. Versatile little amps.

Yeah not much need for cleans with the stuff we play. I dime the clean channel and use a volume pedal for less gain and keep the dirty channel around 6 on the gain for harder stuff. Im still finding it hard to believe the volume and punch this little amp packs. Of course considering the tubes are probably running at 140% its probably putting out 50 watts. Bob

Back