DC-3, Telecaster, playing the dead

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, man.

Yeah - it's a good combination isn't it - tele and DC-3. Nice and chimey. I'm mainly a strat guy, but every once in a while it's fun to break out the plank. This was an open mic. I know the three other guys I'm playing with from other bands - we occasionally get together as side project just to jam. The guy on keyboards is in a really good band called The Samples. They don't play much these days, but he's done Red Rocks with them!

The Samples are great. A Boulder, Colo. band, no?

Also digging the tone. Any hints on your settings in that clip? I have a DC-2, but have never managed to get it sounding quite that Jerry-ish...

Yeah - The Samples are based out of Boulder. Although Dietel (keys) hails from NJ and can be seen often jamming on local stages. He's a great guy.

The settings I used on that clip are really pretty straightforward. There are no effects at all, which is not the way I usually play. But since this was an open mic/open jam, I showed up with the bare minimum. So here's how I set it up.

Clean channel: gain=6; treble=6; mid=4.5; bass=5; presence=5.5; volume=5.

Drive channel: gain=7.5; treble=5.5; mid=4; bass=5; presence=4.5; volume=2.5

I have the graphic engaged in the drive channel in a v-shape, with the middle slider is on the middle line.

The tele's not ideal for getting a good Jerry tone, but with a strat using those settings I can get really close to his sound from the 73-76 era. I think what helps is having the clean gain set so that there's a bit of dirt, and having the mid control (which on this amp actually adds a bit of gain when set past 4) set in that region. Makes the amp feel good and responsive. Feels to me like it's compressing nicely on its own.

Cool, thanks. I'm going to try those settings. I don't have the gain up nearly that high on the clean channel...Could be what I'm missing.

Latest posts

Back