Couple of questions. New Mark V user

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinjames

Reaction score
Ok, I have a couple questions.

1st off, my main amp, MkV and 2x12 Rectifier cab are about a year old. The tubes are a year old. I practice daily but not at an out of control volume. Should I replace the tubes and are Mesa 6L6's my best option? I'm not a tone guru. I couldn't tell the difference between 1950 Russian tubes and 2013 Tubes.

2nd question. I'm in a band and we're playing in May. We've never played out before and I'm wondering how to set the volume for live situation. Are there any guidelines. The main issue I'm wondering about is this. I'm not your typical electric guitar player. I play National resonators. Some have highlander piezo pickups for clean and the others have a lollar single coal and slimline humbucker and another one (baritone resolectric) has a P90.

What is worrying me is that some songs are clean and some are distortion. When I switch from clean, to distortion, the volume drops on the clean channel, even if the master on channel 1 is maxxed out. I'd assume I would just use the solo button for added volume? What I mean is I don't want a huge volume drop during the show.

Final question.
I also have a mark V combo. I'm wondering if I'm better off using the 2x12 and head or the combo? When I saw other bands at this place the other week, everyone had a 4x12. I use a JDX box in the back of the amp because I don't like the sound of a 57. The JDX is the best thing in the world as far as I'm concerned. No volume drop and direct to the board, through a monitor, it sounds like your sitting in front of your amp. No volume drop or anything like that.

Now we're a 3 piece band. Me, upright bass and a drummer that hits hard. I don't really know which amp I'm better off to use. I know they are both loud as f*** but in a live situation, I don't want to get there with my combo and not be able to hear it behind me. And you know how it is, 5 minutes to setup.

If you don't know if the power tubes need replacing, it's likely they don't. You'll know when they sound "dead." You'll know all to well if one fails. Some would recommend proactively changing them before it becomes a problem, but it's your money and your call. Whatever the case, power tubes of the same type (6L6 or EL34) don't really differentiate between others of different make until you really crank the volume. For my purposes, pre-amp tubes are much more significant in determining my tone.

Mesa 6L6s are Ruby 6L6GCMSTR. You can buy Mesa or Ruby. If you buy the latter you'll want to tell whoever you buy it from that it's for a Mesa amp.

I can't answer question two.

As for three, I would think the combo would cover you for stage volume in your three piece.

Isn't there a rectifier tube as well? Does that tend to not go bad? I'm just looking to change them as a proactive measure.

Rectifier tubes tend to prove pretty hardy. You can easily test it with the channel 1 and 2 45w diode/tube rectifier switches on the back. It should be pretty obvious if it's bad.

A good indicator the power tubes are going is the low end at volume gets mushier and you also lose some top end. The amp just seems to be losing it's snap. Now there are other things that might cause this but if after a few years I started to notice this I would look at the power tubes.

They are about a year old. Never really have it turned up except during rehearsal once a week. Think it's time? Is there a general rule?

kevinjames said:
Ok, I have a couple questions.

1st off, my main amp, MkV and 2x12 Rectifier cab are about a year old. The tubes are a year old. I practice daily but not at an out of control volume. Should I replace the tubes and are Mesa 6L6's my best option? I'm not a tone guru. I couldn't tell the difference between 1950 Russian tubes and 2013 Tubes.

2nd question. I'm in a band and we're playing in May. We've never played out before and I'm wondering how to set the volume for live situation. Are there any guidelines. The main issue I'm wondering about is this. I'm not your typical electric guitar player. I play National resonators. Some have highlander piezo pickups for clean and the others have a lollar single coal and slimline humbucker and another one (baritone resolectric) has a P90.

What is worrying me is that some songs are clean and some are distortion. When I switch from clean, to distortion, the volume drops on the clean channel, even if the master on channel 1 is maxxed out. I'd assume I would just use the solo button for added volume? What I mean is I don't want a huge volume drop during the show.

Final question.
I also have a mark V combo. I'm wondering if I'm better off using the 2x12 and head or the combo? When I saw other bands at this place the other week, everyone had a 4x12. I use a JDX box in the back of the amp because I don't like the sound of a 57. The JDX is the best thing in the world as far as I'm concerned. No volume drop and direct to the board, through a monitor, it sounds like your sitting in front of your amp. No volume drop or anything like that.

Now we're a 3 piece band. Me, upright bass and a drummer that hits hard. I don't really know which amp I'm better off to use. I know they are both loud as f*** but in a live situation, I don't want to get there with my combo and not be able to hear it behind me. And you know how it is, 5 minutes to setup.

1) My 6L6's are about 2 years old and still sound fine to my ears. Normally, I will change tubes when they sound "dead." It's like how I determine a set of strings are done. It's more voodoo than anything else...hehe...

2) Congrats on the gig! I'd suggest doing a "dress rehearsal." Rent the biggest room your local rehearsal studio has, bring in some buddies (not everyone you expect to get to go to the gig) and play for them. Play it like you would a show and then solicit sound opinions from there....take with a grain of salt :) Also, record the dress rehearsal with a video and/or audio device no matter what. You may not have "the best" devices in each category but you'll have something to reference...and that's better than nothing!

3) Don't worry about what others are using. You want your sound, not theirs. I'm using a combo with a 1x12 extension cab these days. That's another option. I went over a year with just the combo though and I cut through fine while our other guitarist uses a 4x12. Remember, Mesa's are loud!!! :D

Good luck on the gig, enjoy!!!

Back