correct match or safe mismatch ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chennie

Reaction score
ok, I have quite a dilemma and I need your advice.

At the moment I have a Rect-O-Verb 2, great, fantastic, blababla you know the drill. This is connected to my speakers, Celestion black shadow 90 and v30, great sound, blablabla.

Now here is the problem, currently the speakers and amp form a safe mismatch. Though it is a safe mismatch, it is still a mismatch wich results in differents in tone and wearing down of power transformers and tubes, right ?

Now I have been offered to sell the (brandnew by the way) V30's, with the money and 30 euro extra I could buy two new speakers wich would have a correct match.

The question is, is having a correct match considered in tone and technical longevity worth it? Remember I'm a poor and lazy student type of guy. (for the deal I have to dismount the speakers, arrange a date etcetera)

Anyone?

yeah, its supposed to wear on your tubes a little more, but you have to keep in mind thats all relative to how hard you are pushing your amp to begin with. As far as wear on the OT, I really wouldnt worry about it.

Yes, the sound is a little darker and sometimes a little crunchier, but the most important thing is, are you happy with your sound right now?
If so, then dont change a thing!

The other thing is, dont go out of your way to make this conversion in hopes of it really changing your tone, because its not going to do that.

no soul said:
The other thing is, dont go out of your way to make this conversion in hopes of it really changing your tone, because its not going to do that.

No, change of tone is not something I really expect. But I just want the best for my stuff. It's expensive and good stuff, if a correct match is just plainly better than a safe mismatch than it's obvious, right? Now it is this issue that I'm not certain with =)

chennie said:
no soul said:

if a correct match is just plainly better than a safe mismatch than it's obvious, right? Now it is this issue that I'm not certain with =)

it isnt better though.

There are folks out there who will ONLY play with their gear mismatched and wont have it any other way, and they dont have any problems.

Then what are the benefits of mismatch for those "play only mismatched kind of people" ?

A safe mismatch means, AFAIK, to put higher ohm load than the output is rated for. Ie. 16 ohm speaker into 8 ohm output. This actually lowers the stress on both OT and tubes, the current at maximum output is one half of the "matched" current. So is the output power.

The sound is different, because the load line slope is different and therefore the harmonic distortion is different (its spectrum).

I often use an 8 ohm speaker connected to 4 ohm tap of my custom made EL84 amp. Makes it a little sweeter with slightly lower overall volume.

On my MB DR, I use a 16 ohm cab. There is one output for 16 ohm, but in fact, according to the schematic, it is just a jack in parallel with the 8 ohm output...thai is a safe mismatch all the time:)

bump

little update: I replaced my speakers with the same speakers but now I have a correct match. The result is definitly noticeble !

At first I thought it sounds great, a bit dark and muffled. But I heard this alot about the 2x12 recto cab of mesa. Now mine is a selfbuild, but it has the same dimensions, but I presumed being selfbuilt it could be worse. Well, with some fiddling on the EQ it sounded great.

Now with a correct match: nomore dark and muffled speakers. It feels they want to be heard, a lot of oompf but really clear. Also it feels more balanced with my other speaker cab. Whereas with the mismatch one seemed more present than the other.

Conclusion, I lost like 30 euros or something due to my mistake, but it was worth it. Plus don't forget the experience points ;)
I also feel I deserve a pat on the back for making a fine sounding cabinet =)

Jaroslav,

I picked up a killer deal on a VHT fat bottom 4x12(another Guitar Center blowout)....the cabs rated at 16ohm and yes,my D.R. has a 16ohm out ,but my Stiletto doesnt. I know Mesa's reputation for "mis matching"cabs at no worries but what about running the cab with the 2 8ohm stereo out on the cab? Has anyone ventured with this?
By the way,the VHT just kicked the **** out of any other 4x12 as far as titeness and clarity in the bottom end.
Peace,
~ John ~

You could run a 16-ohm cab from the 8-ohm out without fear, or you could use two cables and run the stereo 8-ohm from the 4-ohm jacks on the amp. This would give you a "correct" match, a brighter tone, and a touch more volume. Running into the 16-ohm load will give a slightly darker tone and a slight vol drop, but will not hurt the amp.

Latest posts

Back