COMPARISON VIDEO: 4x12 Rectifier Vs. Stiletto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaggertysMusic

Reaction score
If you have ever wondered how these two cabinets sound, and haven't had the chance to A/B them in person, this video may help. We do a side by side comparison between the 4x12 Rectifier and Stiletto cabinets recorded with a Royer R121 several feet off the cabinet. Even with the same speakers loaded, construction plays a huge roll in how a cabinet is voiced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f22Nsx6pHp8

GREAT video. The A/Bing was a liiiitle fast though, but it did a good job of showing the cabinets off.

I think the Recto cab had more "boomy" bottom and higher mids, more sizzle too.
The Stiletto definitely had less low end, but it also had this SWEEET mids and the highs weren't that noticeable.

For my "tonal needs", I'd take the Stiletto cab. Though I think they should switch the names of the cabs to better suit the matching head :lol:

The stiletto was far more pleasing to my ears. I can the different applications though. Great vid though, I don't I would have ever considered the stiletto cab. I would love to hear a Road King though.

Funny, I did a little dimension comparison and the Stiletto is the same height and depth as a Marshall 1960A. Funny thing is, the Marshall cabinet is almost 10cms WIDER!!!

Checking the Recto cabinet, it's 10cms higher than the Stiletto... so if you want your Marshall cab to sound like a Boogie recto cab, you just tip it on the side :lol:

I had no idea differences like that had so much to do with the cab's tone. Thanks for enlightening me!

Great video! Now I know how a stilleto cab sound like (and that my choyce - recto cab - was the right one for my purpose). Thank you.

Awesome. Thanks for watching everyone. Cabinet construction makes a huge difference in tone. For me personally, I prefer the Stiletto 4x12, but I totally understand why someone would like the Recto 4x12. It all depends on the style of music, and personal preference.

I think people naturally gravitate more towards the Rectifier 4x12, well, because bigger is better, or they own a Dual Rectifier and think the only way to go is a matching cabinet.

Ideally you want to be able to try both of these cabs in person, with your amplifier. If that's not possible then hopefully this video will help you out!

HaggertysMusic said:
I think people naturally gravitate more towards the Rectifier 4x12, well, because bigger is better, or they own a Dual Rectifier and think the only way to go is a matching cabinet.

In fairness, when those cabs were still called the Recto Standard and Recto Traditional the oversized version (Standard) was still the more popular.

screamingdaisy said:
HaggertysMusic said:

In fairness, when those cabs were still called the Recto Standard and Recto Traditional the oversized version (Standard) was still the more popular.

Bigger is better, right? :D

Great video.

For me it is the Stiletto cab.

But think many Recto owners want the huge low end chugga and I think the recto would be better for that.

HaggertysMusic said:
screamingdaisy said:
HaggertysMusic said:

Bigger is better, right? :D

It was the height of the nu-metal era. :lol:

Latest posts

Back