Comparing ESP to Jackson guitars through the mark V.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramfootball36

Reaction score
So this may not be amp related, but I know there's some tone junkies in here, so I'd just like a couple opinions. I'm looking at the kv2t Jackson neck thru US model on ebony and an ESP explorer with a set neck on rosewood. Both with EMG actives and obviously mahogonany body's. I personally love the esp explorer body...so I'm torn. Has anyone had much experience with eithe guitar. I really prefer ebony, but prefer the body on the esp. And esp has discontinued the ex. So....maybe this wasn't an amp specific question....but I know though ebony is brighter, the mark v can make up for alot, any opinions to help my indecisiveness would be great.

Body wood, body shape, fingerboard wood, neck joint, pickups...there's a ton of different variables that will make one guitar different from another through a quality amp like Mark V. It's really hard to say which suits you the best.

I'm not saying that this is a bad question - I know from personal experience that, in order to truly enjoy your Mark V, you will also need a quality guitar. A cheap piece of plywood trash will sound like junk through it. But yours is a rather specific question, and I must honestly say I've no firsthand experience in those particular guitar models. Possibly no-one here has - and even if they did, their sonic preferences might not match yours.

Yes, in general ebony fretboard tends to sound a little bit brighter and produces tighter attack than rosewood. That's a relatively subtle difference, though.
Set neck and neck-through construction; either ought to give you very good sustain. Theoretically, neck-through is even better in that respect but not everyone feels that way.
What about the bridge? Are these both fixed bridge models?
Also notice that while both guitars have 'mahogany' bodies that does not necessarily mean that it is the same wood species. The term 'mahogany' is actually used for a number of different species - I know that the 'mahogany' in my Gibsons is quite different from the 'mahogany' I see in the average Epiphone (when they are advertised as having 'mahogany' bodies).
Also, no two guitars will ever sound 100% the same, not even if they are the same model, made of the same wood, same components etc.
(Yeah, I guess I'm not helping much...)

I would say go with your heart. In my experience, when making music, that is almost always better. When I buy something because its specs were, on paper, exactly what I was looking for, I always end up with some technically very good gear that doesn't inspire me at all.
I prefer to use something that inspires me play more and better, never mind if it's technically limited or frequently dissed on the 'net.

I believe most people feel that the Mark V sounds better with guitars that are equipped with medium output passive pickups.

4406cuda said:
I believe most people feel that the Mark V sounds better with guitars that are equipped with medium output passive pickups.
+1
I have a ESP Eclipse originally equipped with EMGs, a Schecter with Duncan Blackouts and a Schecter with SD JB/Jazz; the last one sounds the best (by far) with my Mark V.

Best :D ,
Marcelo

Probably the best sounding guitar through my MK V is a Flying V with an old Dimarzio Super Distortion. That's ceramic and reads about 13K. I get great clean and classic rock tones as well as metal. It actually sounds better to me than the other V I have with Wolfetone Marshallheads (through the MKV). The Wolfetones I dig very much into my Metro and AC30.

I would probably wait for a used EX to come along. I've never played a Jackson that had a neck I liked. Always too skinny unless you go Custom Shop which is amazingly expensive.

They are both fixed bridge.....an actually both have EMG's.....every guitar I own has actives an I'm just really missin the tone of a passive pickup. So I think I'm gonna throw passive's in it anyway. Well, I went to guitar center and they had an LTD ex50. I assume the body is the same ex body.....but I picked it up and it was tiny. I gotta assume the ex would be the same size. I know the LTD v50 is same as the full size V.
Well with the in mind, I actually got an LTD snakebyte instead, it's got a pretty big body. Got a pretty good deal on it. I'm not a big fan of the body lines but its a solid metal guitar on nice ebony. But the guy I offered with the Jackson called the day after. He said he'd do 800 on it. It's a kv2t. Most the king v2 are in the 2000 range so I feel like its a good deal. I had some money set aside an this will straight wipe me out, but I really want it. Lol.

Although I think its a bit hard-but only way is to try it out

I think I have only quality guitars (Fender/G&L/Epi/Gretsch) and I second that vintage low to mid output sounds audible best.But thats just a rule of thumb.

My CS Jaguar always sounded **** through it(but good on the JVM410)-so i sold it

And my Comanche once you tweak both monsters right (its mahagonay body,maple/ebony neck) sounds very great although different and the Z-coils push quite hard

My 2 cents

Roland

Well just as an update.....I went ahead and bought the LTD snakebyte. Supposed to be a high end LTD with a bigger body than the explorer. I was outta other options with ESP. So I ordered it on a Friday, and on Saturday the guy with the USA Jackson texted and said he'd take my offer. Needless to say i have 2 new guitars. It's been a solid week with them and I gotta say, this USA Jackson is a pure gem. The tone of it combined with the mark is heaven. From cleans, to open chords to pure heavy this guitar is a beauty. The LTD, I'm not real impressed with. Considering I paid 150 more for the Jackson it's def no contest. I was worried the Jackson would be very 1 dimensional and not cover a very wide spectrum, but sadly that's the case with the LTD....which I kinda assumed. If you get a chance to get your hands on a kv2t.....it's well worth the price.

just wanted to chime in and say all my jackson mah SL2s neckthrough sounds fantastic through the mk5..im using a tone zone in the bridge and the stock duncan in the neck....very sweet and not 1 dimensional at all...its kinda hard to compare a jackson usa to other guitars theyre in a class by themselves :wink: keep rockin guys!!!!!!

I always hate when someone gives a guitar a bad review without actually spending time with the instrument.....so, I wanted to give the hetfield a chance before responding. First off, yes it does have the het set in it.

I've spent a couple weeks on both guitars. The Snake I tried different gauge strings, did a full set up, tried the 18V mod, dialed the truss rod, adjusted both action and pickup height....after all that, I will say that it sounded better. The het set are such hot pickups that you have to drop them a bit further from the strings. I run actives in most of my guitars and the majority of EMG's like being very close to the strings.....dropping the pickup a shade cleaned up the sound alot. The low end chug on the snake is like a steam engine. Nooooow, with all that said...mesa metal hit the nail on the head....there's just no comparison to the Jackson. I'm truly unbiased cause I haven't owned an esp/LTD or a Jackson before buying both. The craftsmanship is in another league....I mean granted we're comparing USA to Korea....but I only paid just over 100 more for the Jackson.

The neck on the Snake is nice. The ebony is fast...frets are jumbo....but it just plays like a cheaper guitar. The overtones and undertones that come through the mark v just aren't pleasant and appealing like the tones that fly off the Jackson.

First impressions were what disappointed me the most. First, the ebony on the snake has a big brown grain stripe down the middle, it's just not top quality ebony. Doesn't hurt anything, but if I get ebony, I want dark ebony. The LTD on the headstock looks like a 5 year old finished it in his arts and crafts class. It looks terrible, glued on and the plastic around the LTD mold seriously looks like it came out of a $.25 machine. The angle the string leaves the nut for the bottom 3 strings is terrible. I tried reverse winding the bottom 3 to get a better angle off the nut, an the high E still barely even hooks the corner of the nut enough to stay in place. The knobs are junk. Tone pod and volume pod are horribly loose and the 3 way selector just has that cheap feel to it......even compared to some of my schecters it feels junky. With a perfect up, it doesnt stay in tune the way a 1000 dollar guitar should. And the worst problem of all. I went from 48 to 52 on the low E because it kept popping off the string saddle on the bridge, even in standard tuning. I like to play hard....but not overly hard. When drop tuned this issue is terrible. I went to a 52, which is the heaviest I like to run. And the problem is just as bad. I tried adjusting the saddle towards the back of the bridge to give the string a better angle.....knowing I would throw my intonation out....and still the problem was barely better.

Like I said, I wanted to spend some time on the axe before writing back....and honestly, I love the body feel and weight of the snake....but it may as well be a boat anchor compared to the US Jackson. For anyone wanting a pro level instrument, the snake is wayy overpriced.....and as mesa metal said, the Jackson through a Mark V is a fantastic combination.

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to type up a good review. I know exactly what you mean about the undesirable under/over tones from bad LTD guitars.

NOWAYBACK said:
4406cuda said:
+1
I have a ESP Eclipse originally equipped with EMGs, a Schecter with Duncan Blackouts and a Schecter with SD JB/Jazz; the last one sounds the best (by far) with my Mark V.

Best :D ,
Marcelo

I agree 100%!! I have an ltd EC-1000 with the emg's and while it's a great guitar, I feel that my Jackson King V that I put JB's in sounds better.

Latest posts

Back