Compare: Stiletto Traditional vs Rectifier Standard Cabinets

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilsaint

Reaction score
I thought I love my Rectifier Standard (Oversized) cabinet, but I actually prefer
the Stiletto Traditional cabinet for faster response (tighter) and more mid sound.

Here is my comparison video clip on YouTube -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhpwKIgD_TE
IMG_1785.jpg

More details from my blog :
http://powerdragon-powerdragon.blogspot.com/2010/12/mesaboogie-stiletto-traditional-vs.html

dont throw me that! I´m waiting for my rec 412 to arrive soon :lol:

Traditional sounds tighter but there's more mud in it. The oversized is clearer and more detailed but it sounds more scooped.

The trick is the microphone. The microphone loves the oversized version... reason being that you can cut the bottom end out of the oversized cab without thinning the guitar out, which gives you a full and deeper midrange response than you get out of the traditional. Conversely, if you cut the mud out of the Traditional all you have left is the spikey upper midrange.

It's why the oversized cab has dominated in recording.... it may sound a tad slow and scooped when you stand right in front of it but it produces more of the frequencies that the engineer needs to make your guitar sound full. It's also why bands with professional soundmen sound so good using it while amateur bands with amateur soundmen tend to make it sound like ****.

screamingdaisy said:
bands with professional soundmen sound so good using it while amateur bands with amateur soundmen tend to make it sound like sh!t.

haha! .. I´ve a dumb question, all traditional rec 412 are the "oversize" model? or there are two models of the traditional rec 412??

rika_gd said:
screamingdaisy said:
bands with professional soundmen sound so good using it while amateur bands with amateur soundmen tend to make it sound like sh!t.

haha! .. I´ve a dumb question, all traditional rec 412 are the "oversize" model? or there are two models of the traditional rec 412??

Sorry... calling it a 'traditional' is a bad habit.

Prior to 2005 there used to be two Recto 4x12s. The Recto Traditional and the Recto Standard. The Traditional was 'Marshall sized' while the Standard was the oversized version.

In 2005 they renamed the Recto Traditional cab the Stiletto cab and the Recto Standard was simplified to the Recto cab.

Besides the size, they are using different color of pipping now.
Stiletto Traditional cabinet comes with Silver color pipping,
and Rectifier Standard (Oversized) comes with Black color pipping.

I'm quite confused with the pipping colors.
If I'm not wrong, there is silver color pipping on my previous Rectifier (OS) cabinet
which was sold several years ago.

I looked at a picture of my old oversized and it had a dark grey colour... not as black as the OS in your pic above, but not as bright as the traditional.

Out of curiosity... how do the two cabs sound together?

Oh ya~ That's "grey" color pipping on the old Rectifier cabinet.
Thanks for pointing out.

I did run them both together once before.
The sound is perfect, fuller and 3D from combine them together as expected.
Just walking around them, I can easily blend them in how many percentage as I want.
I have heaven and hell.

evilsaint said:
Oh ya~ That's "grey" color pipping on the old Rectifier cabinet.
Thanks for pointing out.

I did run them both together once before.
The sound is perfect, fuller and 3D from combine them together as expected.
Just walking around them, I can easily blend them in how many percentage as I want.
I have heaven and hell.

Cool.

I've spent the last number of months trying to decide between getting the Standard and Traditional... I can't make up my mind to the point where I've often debated getting one of each.

the thing i hate the most...i like both tones from the diffrent cabs hahahha. Oh well i have my emeince speakers which are killer with the mark exspeically when each cab is 600 watts hahahah

Latest posts

Back