Compact vs regular 212 horizontal rectifier cabinet

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctc

Reaction score
I use a 212 vertical rectifier cabinet with a Mark V and it sounds great. At times I would like to have more presence, so I was looking at the 412 rectifier slant cabinet, but at one hundred pounds it's a bit difficult to carry up and down the stairs by myself. So I was thinking about adding a 212 rectifier horizontal cabinet and placing it under my vertical cabinet. Mesa has the compact and the regular horizontal cabinet. Can anyone tell me about the sound difference between the two?

I imagine the differences between a compact and an oversized 212 would be similar to a 412. In which case, the larger rectifier 412 has a boomier, bigger low end, whereas the smaller traditional 412 has a tighter, punchier low end. I know you are talking about 212 cabinets but I would imagine the differences would be similar.

Don't get the compact 212 IMO.
Size difference isn't enough to really matter, and the standard recto 212 is sized perfect for tone.
It's not an oversized 212.
Compact 212's sound stuffy to my ears. Not enough lows or high-end sparkle.
IMO of course.

With the Mesa 412's I really like both the standard and the traditional. They each have their advantage and both at the same time is even better.
An oversized 412 and a standard recto 212 together is glorious sounding.

Oversized = more deep low end + bigger sounding + less tightness

However my rectifier 212 is tight enough even for high gain metal rhythm. If I were you I'll take it over the compact version for sure - unless you want a relatively slightly boxier tone :D

Latest posts

Back