Coliseums

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I sent my DRG red stripe in today for service & the III++ mod. Going to do a before / after tone vid. :)

I've come to realize that the power section is possibly more important, to me, on a vintage Mark amp.

GJgo said:
So I sent my DRG red stripe in today for service & the III++ mod. Going to do a before / after tone vid. :)

I've come to realize that the power section is possibly more important, to me, on a vintage Mark amp.
Really looking forward to this! :shock: I might be “forced” to do the same! Did Mike B. and Mesa/Boogie give you a lead time?

I'll start a new thread about it as not to derail the Coli thread. :)

I will say though, slaving the IIC+ and the III into the IIB Coli power section tells me a lot about my preferences. I much prefer a Coli power section with any Mark preamp compared to a desirable preamp with a lesser power section.

I did a side by side of the Coli's today at low volume because my wife is working from home. I used a Mesa stereo cab with C90's. They sound and feel really close. I don't know if I could tell the difference in a blind test. Maybe there will be differences at higher volumes.

I played the Coli thru a Mesa 2x15 bass cab loaded with EV's. Massive low end! A little loose and sluggish but usable. I'm gonna try it with the 2x15 and a 4x12 this weekend. Let me know if you hear it!

GJgo said:
Thanks man. Well, I did this the other day.. Recorded, I think I could get them to sound the same if I tweaked it. In the room the II is warmer & fatter where the III is more tight & aggressive.

https://youtu.be/OW7Yz1FaVQE

Personally if the III+ mod is to make it sound more like a IIC+ then I don't think I'd want it. I like the III because it's a III. It's ANGRY.
-^^^^^^^ this.......i have a mkiic+ and obviously love it for what it is...but my mkiii red stripe and blue stripe coli are just beasts with such raw tone and I like these differences... enjoy the differences... i personally can't imagine for the life of me more gain than my coli's possess,and this is with a tele.Having said that, in the many talks I've had with Mike b over the years, if I was getting a coli +'d, I'd have it on a push pull,so you can have it stock too.

I agree that the Coli's have more than enough gain. I want my III+'s to be as close to a c+ as they can get. That's why I bought III's with the 105 transformer. The III+ SRG's and Coli also have the same transformers as the c+'s.

Finally got around to doing a high volume side by side of the Coli's. Got the volume up to 2.5. The c+ is still the King. The c+ sound field is bigger, fuller, richer, more detailed. The III+ is narrower and less detailed. The only problem is 2.5 is too loud unless your playing the Grand Canyon!

Latest posts

Back