Clean Channel question, please help me out

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macmax

Reaction score
I do have the trim switch and clean level on my ED. it is a new ED.

So far it is as quiet as it can be, no noise of any kind and a great blue channel!!!!!

But for the love of God, i cannot set the clean volume up to par with the blue and red no matter what i do.

Do i have a bad "clean level" tube on my ED?

can you guys set yours in the same volume level?

Should i just swap the clean channel Tube?

I mean, it sounds about half as loud as the other two no matter how i set the volume level control on the back and how i use the Volume level knob.

Thanks for your help.

macmax said:
can somebody help me?

This is one of the slowest boards in the world, so don't expect alot of replies right away. I sometimes post in here, then just come back a day or two later to see the replies (and sometimes there aren't any.)

Chris

Something definately isn't right. The whole reason behind the clean level was that the clean channel was too loud.

I would definately start swapping tubes. Plus, since it is new any bad ones you find should be covered under warranty.

If you post your settings I can see how it is on mine, but since you say it doesn't matter what you do with the clean level and volume, I think you may have a bad tube.

ya that is not normal. i have to drop the clean level knob back most of the time because the clean is louder than the gain modes. have it checked out for sure.

How loud are you playing? The ED changes dramatically with different volumes- at a reasonable stage volume, the loudness perception of the clean/gain channels relationship is very different from a low bedroom volume-

master at 12

lo and hi are very loud, the clean isn't.

will change a tube tonight

Cut the master back to around 9:00 to 10:00 and the volumn to 2:00 or 4:00. Set the gain trim switch to hi/lo and dime the gain trim rotary switch. Facing the back of the amp, this would be rotated clockwise as far as it will go. If all 3 channels aren't fairly balanced, something isn't right.

macmax said:
master at 12

lo and hi are very loud, the clean isn't.

will change a tube tonight

I thought you said on TGP that it was "operator error?" Did you not really figure it out?

lespauljoe1 said:
Cut the master back to around 9:00 to 10:00 and the volumn to 2:00 or 4:00. Set the gain trim switch to hi/lo and dime the gain trim rotary switch. Facing the back of the amp, this would be rotated clockwise as far as it will go. If all 3 channels aren't fairly balanced, something isn't right.

This setting worked great for me, thanks!

I have the same problem, mine is a electradyne medium model combo.
I passed a long time but, cant figure it out.

Tried mine, clean volume (back) all the way up, hi-low trim on. and still my vintage low setup is louder than my cleans.
I had to pull up the volume knob on the front, to make the clean channel louder, but that add dirt to my low vintage, which I love not passing 12 o'clock.

Any specific setup?
I think it is all about setup (hope so), as the the clean volume knob on the back, interacts with the master and the volume on the front, but I have not find a equilibrium between them, please help!!!

Giax1974 said:
I have the same problem, mine is a electradyne medium model combo.
I passed a long time but, cant figure it out.

Tried mine, clean volume (back) all the way up, hi-low trim on. and still my vintage low setup is louder than my cleans.
I had to pull up the volume knob on the front, to make the clean channel louder, but that add dirt to my low vintage, which I love not passing 12 o'clock.

Any specific setup?
I think it is all about setup (hope so), as the the clean volume knob on the back, interacts with the master and the volume on the front, but I have not find a equilibrium between them, please help!!!

In order to get a fairly close volumn balance in all 3 modes, the volumn needs to be set at about 3 o,clock or higher. As you stated, this will add some gain regardless if it is set to hi/lo or clean on the back panel. There will be a mild bluesy breakup on the clean mode.

Something I use if I want an even cleaner tone, is back off the volumn and engage a transparent boost to get the clean volumn about the same as Blue and red. I personally use a Keeley modified Boss BD-2 pedal for this. You can roll the gain all the way back on the BD-2 but still boost the volumn to achieve this.

Hope this helps.

Back