Clean boost pedals

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alun

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been using a 3 channel DR for a few years with a TS9 in front of the amp to boost the signal and using channel 2 & 3 only. I was using a second amp for cleans but I'm fed up of carrying 2 amps around so I'm now using just the Mesa for overdriven & cleans.
I've got a G Major 2 in the FX loop. My problem is that the TS9 is adding some distortion to the clean channel. The TS9 gain pot is all the way down.
Does anyone know if there's a clean boost out there that wont add gain to the clean channel but would boost the signal enough for the overdriven channels? TC electronic spark booster or mxr micro amp?

Alun said:
Hi,

I've been using a 3 channel DR for a few years with a TS9 in front of the amp to boost the signal and using channel 2 & 3 only. I was using a second amp for cleans but I'm fed up of carrying 2 amps around so I'm now using just the Mesa for overdriven & cleans.
I've got a G Major 2 in the FX loop. My problem is that the TS9 is adding some distortion to the clean channel. The TS9 gain pot is all the way down.
Does anyone know if there's a clean boost out there that wont add gain to the clean channel but would boost the signal enough for the overdriven channels? TC electronic spark booster or mxr micro amp?
Welcome to the board.

Turn down the output of the TS9. It's not the gain that is causing the distortion, it's the hot signal pushing the preamp tubes into saturation, which IMO is what boosting is all about. Even the other pedals you mentioned will do the same with hot output settings.

You will probably find that this will neuter your high-gain tones, but hopefully you'll find a happy medium between the two.

Your other options are to either lower the guitar volume a bit for cleans, or tap dance to turn off the TS9.

I hope this helps,
Dom

Or use a loop switch. Some can be switched in tandem, so you can hit one button and the amp channel will change and the TS9 will switch in or out at the same time.

You could even build such a thing pretty easily. You would want a DPDT switch for a true-bypass of the TS9, with an extra throw (DPTT?) that would toggle the amp channel control to GND. Or a simple switch that would throw 3 relays. You'd want to power that from an external supply.

Xotic RC booster is a great clean boost pedal. I use the AC booster regularly to add a little grit to my clean sound. I use the Mad Professor Forrest Green Compressor set to Sustain mode in front of my roadster and lonestar. I just leave it on all the time just because it makes everything sound better. Depending on how you set the level, it also boosts the signal. Cleans are crystal clear and shimmery.

Thanks for the tips guys. I think I'm going to go down the loop switch route. The TS9 just adds too much dirt to the clean channel even with the gain & level right down. The G Lab ML4 looks pretty good.

May not be the TS9 at all.
Could be the output on the G-Major.
I had the same issue.

I've build a SHO clone for about 20 euro's... no difference with the real thing and the best booster around IMHO.

You could also have amp modded. Jerry at FJA MODS can get you what you are looking for without the need for a pedal

Or get the TS-9 modded. The Keeley TS-9 Mod Plus expands the gain range in both directions, lowers noise considerably, and is better suited as a "cleaner" boost than the stock version. I use one with an Xotic EP Booster in front if it, both in front of the amp with great success. Those are 2 of my 3 'secret weapons'. ;)

The MXR/CAE Boost/Line Driver may or may not be what you are looking for but it basically adds up to 20 db of clean gain to your signal. The result is a signal that enhances pedals in your signal chain but won't overdrive the clean channel. For channel two it won't sound like a TS-9. In fact, it almost sounds like it isn't doing anything to distorted channels. It is, its just subtle. You'll notice an increase in sustain, compression, and volume. I rarely have it on but I'll always have it there...just in case. :D

Latest posts

Back