!! Check out the new Toy @ Mesa Boogie!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wayno said:
Any idea's when we'll have some JP 2C sound clips to chew on???? Itching to hear this......
I have actually surprised they announced it without backing it with a video. The V:25 and V:35 had a announcement video right? I am pretty sure they did. I want another video like the casual demo John did for the V:25, sometimes I just listen to that clip to hear John play.

dlpasco said:
Well, I just made a down payment on a standard JP-2C. No point in messing around. No idea when it will be available.

If John's putting his name on it, I believe it will be something that he uses and wants to have himself. He's certainly demonstrated that with his guitars.

Based on what I remember from the Triaxis manual, I'm guessing Shred mode is based on the Mark III. I'm excited.
Nice my man. many many pics when it comes. I did the same thing with the V:25, went straight to my mesa dealer and put one on hold. Mine was one of the first to arrive in Oz.

I thought the shred mode would be a ++ type boost or something similar. Just giving it a little more.

JMMP said:
I believe the key is that it is TWO high gain channels. A few years back I couldn't decide between getting a mark IV or mark v. It boiled down to the V not having two high gain channels. That's why I will one day own a JP-2C, but I will not sell my simulclass mark IV to get it.
One thing I like about the JP2C is just that. Two gains. Eliminates the need for a boost pedal or separate eq to engage for lead stuff. Its right there on the amp dont have to worry about sharing the 5 band and its set and forget, nothing noising up your signal. Just plug in and go.

One great thing is that you can use the two channels to AB tones when tweaking without losing your original setting. No more jotting down pot settings before having a fiddle.

Saw this. Figured I'd post it here.

JohnPetrucciSignatureCryBabyWah-11.png

Agustín Collia said:
Uh, exactly, the POTS are placed before the preamp gain, both in the original IIC+ AND in every other Mark amp to date... So are their pull functions my friend, that's why you can replace almost all of the pull functions by adjusting the corresponding pots (the only one you can't replicate so much is Pull Deep, which I manage to do by setting the bass pot a tad higher in the clean channel AND using the Fat mode, and by setting the 80 and 240 Hz sliders a bit higher for distortion).

That makes sense.

...of course Pull Deep had to be the one pull pot I like to use the most on my IIc+, and combined to its naturally more extended low frequencies (compared to the Mark V mode), it means that my some of my favorite IIc+ lead sounds are pretty hard to replicate on the V alone...the GEQ sliders might not have enough travel, if you can believe that. Oh well. OTOH, maybe one day I will see the light and fall madly in love with Doug West's vision of what a IIc+ should sound like. But as of now, I simply prefer the deeper and heavier sounds I can get from my actual IIc+ (or the other channel 3 modes on the V).

Thanks for clarifying the issue.

I wish I could order my version of a c+ like I did 30 years and not have to settle for somebody else's idea of what a c+ should be.

LesPaul70 said:
That makes sense.

...of course Pull Deep had to be the one pull pot I like to use the most on my IIc+, and combined to its naturally more extended low frequencies (compared to the Mark V mode), it means that my some of my favorite IIc+ lead sounds are pretty hard to replicate on the V alone...the GEQ sliders might not have enough travel, if you can believe that. Oh well. OTOH, maybe one day I will see the light and fall madly in love with Doug West's vision of what a IIc+ should sound like. But as of now, I simply prefer the deeper and heavier sounds I can get from my actual IIc+ (or the other channel 3 modes on the V).

Thanks for clarifying the issue.
Haha, nobody expects you to like Doug West's vision of the "ideal" IIC+, I don't like it myself. In fact, as I notice you've been around for quite some time here, you surely have witnessed that many forumites and Boogie owners (myself included), as well as some of the most knowledgeable people in this forum don't hold Doug West in such a high esteem as they used to. His claims about the Mark V made him lose a bunch of credibility.

Back on track now, I'm wondering how "Limited" that run will be (the one with the stained maple front panel and the inlays).

Haha, nobody expects you to like Doug West's vision of the "ideal" IIC+, I don't like it myself. In fact, as I notice you've been around for quite some time here, you surely have witnessed that many forumites and Boogie owners (myself included), as well as some of the most knowledgeable people in this forum don't hold Doug West in such a high esteem as they used to. His claims about the Mark V made him lose a bunch of credibility.

FWIW, I'd say that the Mark V:25 represents that vision quite well. The amp is a fire breather. It really felt like the missing link between my Blue Stripe Mark III and my Mark V. I can understand how an amp that feels like this could result in Master of Puppets, which is not something I could have ever said about my Mark V or III.

xdg999 said:
I wish I could order my version of a c+ like I did 30 years and not have to settle for somebody else's idea of what a c+ should be.

I firmly believe that is why Mesa will never do a full blown re-issue. There's far too many variables which would have to be decided on for a viable production run. They're never going to offer the build options like they did back in the 80's when ordering, it would be a standardised design, therefore, it will always be "one" person's idea of the perfect iiC+. I just don't believe they'd ever be able to please everyone, can't win no point trying!

Gotta admit, really happy as i am with the Mk V's iiC+ mode, i am curious as to whether the cap could be modded to the bigger version, as per the original???

I would like to know if someone has changed that cap on the Mark V? Or if anyone has ever modded a Mark V for that matter?

barryswanson said:
I would like to know if someone has changed that cap on the Mark V? Or if anyone has ever modded a Mark V for that matter?

Well, I've toyed with the idea for years. But if I did it, I'd make it switchable so I can choose which cap I want to use. And while I'm at it, I'd probably also add a "Deep switch" for channel 3.

What's holding me back is that I'd need to see Mark V schematic first (I currently have none), plus need to know some component values. And considering how tightly the V is packed, I'd probably have a professional amp tech do the actual job.

LesPaul70 said:
barryswanson said:

Well, I've toyed with the idea for years. But if I did it, I'd make it switchable so I can choose which cap I want to use. And while I'm at it, I'd probably also add a "Deep switch" for channel 3.

What's holding me back is that I'd need to see Mark V schematic first (I currently have none), plus need to know some component values. And considering how tightly the V is packed, I'd probably have a professional amp tech do the actual job.

Please please please remember me if you ever try it.

i hear the power section of the JP 2C is pentode, sure that wasnt an option on an original iiC+ but one of JP's setting choices on the Mk V. Also wonder which coupling cap value they chose for it?
Maybe both? Could that be what the shred option toggles between? Or would it engage another gain stage?

Wayno said:
i hear the power section of the JP 2C is pentode, sure that wasnt an option on an original iiC+ but one of JP's setting choices on the Mk V. Also wonder which coupling cap value they chose for it?
Maybe both? Could that be what the shred option toggles between? Or would it engage another gain stage?

ALL 60/100 Mark series amps were pentode, as far as I know.

I'm thinking shred mode will be an extra gain stage and somehow loosen the amp up a bit but more than likely I'll be completely wrong.

Australian dollar is currently worth 69 cents US.
Has anyone in Australia asked the price on an export JP 2C?
Someone's gonna have to buy them new so there are at least some to buy 2nd hand... down the track! I'm expecting these will be keepers, nothing less.

By the way studio 22 also = Master of Puppets

barryswanson said:
I'm thinking shred mode will be an extra gain stage and somehow loosen the amp up a bit but more than likely I'll be completely wrong.
Based on the Pettrucci Triaxis demo, I'm guessing that Shred mode is lifted from the Triaxis Lead 2 Red mode http://youtu.be/X_3ak_lvWmM (he demos it at 6:16).

Here's what the Mesa Triaxis Manual (http://mesaboogie.com/media/User%20Manuals/TriAxis_091007.pdf) says about Lead 2 Red mode:

LD 2 RED: This mode is made for shred. In fact, it might be better named LEAD 2 Shred. It is much more aggressive in the top end than its’ yellow counterpart, boasting much enhanced upper harmonics.
And, further down:
Lead 2
Green = Midgain / Mk IV Ld
Yellow = Classic Mk II Ld
Red = Searing Mk III Ld
So I'm guessing that the JP-2C actually let's you switch between Mark IIC+ and Mark III tones, which would be amazing if it is true and done well.

So really, it's less a matter of two IIC+s in one head, and more like the love child of his favorite Mark IIC+ and his Triaxis rig, with a huge transformer and two graphic eqs, which is why I made a down payment on one immediately.

Here's the full text of the Lead 2 Red description. It's interesting:

LD 2 RED: This mode is made for shred. In fact, it might be better named LEAD 2 Shred. It is much more aggressive in the top end than its’ yellow counterpart, boasting much enhanced upper harmonics. Though it shares almost identical basic architecture... additional parts switch in when Red is chosen that give this once balanced, well behaved mode a downright ugly attitude. Harmonics are boosted and a bit of lower treble is dipped to give this Red a sizzling edge that is unique to this mode only. The harmonic edge not only bene ts high notes...It does wonders for the grinding “Z’s” needed for bodacious low end crunch. This enhances the growl on the low strings as well as it adds cut and sizzle to the higher strings. The frequencies enhanced by this circuit are slightly higher than those found in conventional power section PRESENCE controls.They are also higher, more rebellious and de ned than those adjusted by the action of TriAxis’PRESENCE control.These highs have that out-of-control-vibe to them, that falling-apart-yet-loosely- held-together quality that is often associated with modi ed early British heads using Euro-style EL34 power tubes for their ponies. This elusive sound affects the feel of the strings and players accustomed to such sounds have dif culty feeling at home on an amp that doesn’t deliver these loose highs.

To be a complete array of guitar sounds, TriAxis had to address these classic heads. LEAD 2 Red possesses most of, if not all the qualities we mentioned. If a player still nds Red to be lacking in this history making sound, there is always the DYNAMIC VOICE control to blend in some lower lows and higher highs, while dipping the mids and jacking the bottom simultaneously. If this still isn’t exactly what turns you on...well you could go nuts, and use two TriAxis and a MESA High Gain Ampli er Switch.( see rear of this manual) Use one TriAxis in LEAD 2 Red and another TriAxis in LEAD 1 Red, then blend the two by turning them both on at once! CRAZY? Don’t laugh...you’d be surprised at the number of guys using two TriAxis’ or a TriAxis and another head simultaneously. However, this gets pretty expensive and we nd that mastering one TriAxis is enough of a challenge for anybody. Regardless, LEAD 2 Red is perfect for any part where you need focus and urgency, but want a little bit of that edge for attitude. The same hints and suggestions apply to the Red in LEAD 2 that we discussed for Green and Yellow. Work with the GAIN control carefully...check the factory preset that utilizes LEAD 2 Red.

JOEY B. said:
ALL 60/100 Mark series amps were pentode, as far as I know.
That's exactly right! In fact, the only amps that were Triode were all Simul-Class Marks before the Mark III Green Stripe.
dlpasco said:
barryswanson said:
Based on the Petrucci Triaxis demo, I'm guessing that Shred mode is lifted from the Triaxis Lead 2 Red mode.
So I'm guessing that the JP-2C actually let's you switch between Mark IIC+ and Mark III tones, which would be amazing if it is true and done well.
That's one of the two possibilities I was thinking about. The other is something akin to the IIC++, which would also be great!

OryCheyne said:
Australian dollar is currently worth 69 cents US.
Has anyone in Australia asked the price on an export JP 2C?
Someone's gonna have to buy them new so there are at least some to buy 2nd hand... down the track! I'm expecting these will be keepers, nothing less.

By the way studio 22 also = Master of Puppets

Was spot on with my guess of 6K retail.

http://www.guitarfactory.com.au/Amps/mesa-boogie/Head/JP-2C Only place online with a price atm.

We will have to wait very patiently for used ones to pop up. Mark V's are thin on the ground and they have been around for a long time now, the JP2C will be like a unicorn.
I really cant deal with stepdown transformers. So no importing for me. Plus for 6K you could get an original C+ and have boat loads to spare. Prices have gone up so much in the last 18 months that I could sell my V:25 for a profit.

Used prices on older guitar is much more reasonable and tend to sit at where they should relative to US price.

Dont want to spark the pricing debate again. Its just a shame that at $6,000 its unattainable, and it could be 5 years before there are enough used ones to bring the price down into the 2,500-3500 mark that the V sit at used currently.

As for all the talk of the shred mode being lifted from the triaxis. I am not expert on C+'s never even played one, or a Mark IV or a triaxis for that matter. But if its a 'soft' reissue I could imagine people being a little bit off put by integrating circuits from later models when its meant to be a c+ even if it sounds like Gods hotrod. There could be debate on whether integrating mods like the ++ counts as 'later circuits' since the 3 and its strips were really just evolution's on the last gen bit by bit with what could be called "Mods" made standard.

What are the experts views on shred being a possible Mark III/triaxis mode? does it manage the fine line of a C+ reissue vs a Mark V.5 lol

Justin_Blackened said:
What are the experts views on shred being a possible Mark III/triaxis mode? does it manage the fine line of a C+ reissue vs a Mark V.5 lol

I just want to point out that this isn't a C+ reissue; it's a Petrucci signature model. Shred can be whatever JP wants it to be.

Shred mode is apparently a frequency shift that brings more clarity.

Channel 1 has more clean headroom than a C+.

Channels 2 & 3 aren't identical. One is a little crunchier and the other a little creamier with a touch more gain.

screamingdaisy said:
Shred mode is apparently a frequency shift that brings more clarity.

Channel 1 has more clean headroom than a C+.

Channels 2 & 3 aren't identical. One is a little crunchier and the other a little creamier with a touch more gain.

That sounds awesome - I don't doubt what you're saying, but I would like to know where you learned about it! Have you heard anything else?

Latest posts

Back