Channel Switching MkV with G System

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drain Brain

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a newbie to the forum, so please bear with me..

To start with, the MkV has been my main amp head since getting it some 2 years ago, regardless of the technology, extra channels, the neon, the extra$ and the undeniable gorgeous look of the latest H&K Traimap MkIII i purchased direct from the factory end of last year 2015. The MkV gives me my tone, and very unlike there will be another MkV will take its place from my setup for a long time to come.

And for the effects, I have been using stomp box type effects to go along with it until recently that I thought I need to minmize tap-dancing but focus more on playing instead. So, recently purchased this TC Electronis G System - despite all odds I read about it in their reviews. That is only the beginning of the horror.

The intention is for the effects and the channel switching of course.

So when I started working on this brand new G, I find it a hard way that this is no plug and play gadget but an animal by its own right. The manual does not help but really a stack of toilet paper banded together in A4 size paper. One would have to be an expert first before the manual make sense to anybody. And to make matter worst, trying to becoming a member of the TC forum is just half of the frustration, which I can never got registered despite tens of trail thinking somebody out there maybe able to help. In the process, I can never got my CAPTCHA code correct eachtime. It will reject saying the CAPTCHA code was wrong and giving another set of CAPTCHA code to try, one time after another until I lost count how many times I have to repeat the process but that the only place I could go as far as registering into the TC forum is concern. I can never get helps from the forum but rely on a third party write up by a guy named Liared William who seem like an advocate to TC Electronic for the G product. So, the first 2 week was wasted only on getting the route and cabling.

Today, after almost 3 months, I thought that I had the basic done but now left to wonder how to figure out making the default channel be the Clean of the MkV. I had a few User preset stored in the User patch of the G but the moment I enter Factory preset will be the Lead channel. It is kind of locked into the Lead Channel. I try changing the channel to Clean but will always return to same setting upon exit and re-entry.

I need help very badly. Turning to this forum may seem not quite appropriate as the problem is more G than Mkv but I am helpless. TC electronic Help is not on earth either as therefore would appreciate anyone who may have had similar problem before to share how they unlocked theirs.

God Bless

Hi Drain Brain, is that a Ramones inspired name?

Anyway down to business, I use the G-Sys with my Mark V. I'm no Laird Williams with his encyclopaedic knowledge of the G system and Midi switching. I'm quite new to midi and hadn't used multieffects for 20 odd years, until October.

However I'm happy to help in any way I can.

Firstly, how are you hooking up the G-Sys to change channel?

Make sure not to connect the mark v's foot switch when you connect another switching system, as it will damage your amp. It doesn't say it in the manual. I read it in a post here. They had to send their amp back to mesa to fix it. Talk about a pain in the dick ;-)

Hi Niklotsaguitar,

My cable connection (using Planet Wave Y-cable) follows what the Manual and the Laird's WP suggested;

Gtr ---G System Input

G System
Sw1 ---tip (black) to MkV Ch.2
---ring (red) to MKV ch.3

SW2 ----tip to MKV Solo
----ring to MKV Eq.

The Problem is: Default channel on all Factory preset is the Lead Channel (Channel 3) of the MKV. I find no way to change to the Clean as default, though can be done temporarily but cannot be saved. I am dumb founded.

OK mate, it looks to me like you'd have to assign different buttons to control amp channels. I'm given to understand that the Boogie uses channel 1 as default. If you were using a footswitch into those jacks that you would switch between clean and dirty. Then on the dirty channel switch between channel 2 and 3.

I think you need to edit the Gsystem in Vysor so certain buttons operate that channel switching. My personal preference would be to change the loop 1,2,3 switches. Any external pedals you have on for certain patches may need you to either lock those loops on. And then create another identical patch but with the loop switched off. So you have a patch with loop on and an identical patch with loop off. Just so you can control those loops.

In Vysor that looks like this

12801224_1548720535457944_5824270611881436516_n.jpg

12548899_1548720662124598_6745223062510862238_n.jpg

Then from there you have to go into programming whether those buttons select open (O) or closed (C). It looks to me like each button can control send one message of OOOO or OCOO or any variation. All O's, all C's or any combination. Which operates what those switches do to your amp.

I know you mentioned it. But I really recommend Lairds white paper. Yeah it's a little alien. But it is about the most comprehensive instruction manual around.
From Page 40 onwards talks about programming those switch functions.

http://www.guitaraffair.com/pdfs/g-system-configuration-and-troubleshooting-guide.pdf

Personally, I use the Amp Gizmo. It's a lot easier than this. I wholly recommend it.

Ah sorry, found further.
Click on the ALL button. Then relays (specifically the OOOO part. I think I double clicked it to get the drop down menu), then select which combination you need.

12670787_1548724522124212_7706676909119604991_n.jpg

So what you'll do is program one button to change to channel 2. Then another button to switch between channels 2 and 3. Because channel 1 is your amps default. You get that by switching the first button (that changes to channel 2) off.

Nicklotsaguitars,

Thank you for your kindness in helping me out with this piece of item.

Anyway, is there anything simpler than your almost-rocket-science remedy or procedures that is to set the amp default channel to be just the Clean Channel, please. There must be a setting or lock somewhere that keep the channel to the Lead channel. Why can't it be just the Clean channel upon connection??

Like mentioned, I have got my G unit for kind of 3 months by now but spending most of the time in studying and trying to get the Loop lock/unlock issue so that effect sound will passed through and out into the Cab. It take all this while just to undertand and got that done. Another word, I started from ZERO knowlegde in this G (which I thing now the G is good to stand for almost 'GIVEUP' or just plain 'Garbage'). So, I am just trying to get the basic running and going into those computer based programming will only add up the unecessary, atleast for this time.

AMP Gizmo?? But I thought my Planet Wave Y-cable can change channel quite easily. The problem is, default is the Lead Channel.

Buying the MKV and the G system together is like spending your 4-5 month salary in my country. Now look like another few more month salary need to be burnt for the Gizmo!!!

Please help me without the Gizmo.

Thank You and God Bless

I feel your pain DrainBrain.
However I don't know any more than I have explained to you in the posts above. Like I say, I don't switch my amp directly from the G. I use the Amp Gizmo.

All I can suggest is that you use the above method to program the relay to send the message to switch the amp. Then program that into each patch you want that channel on.
The problem you have with the clean channel being the default channel. Is in the amplifier. It is part of the amplifiers programming.
So without getting into the amplifier with a soldering iron. I don't think you can change the default channel to the dirty channel.

There is however a dial on the back of the amp where you can select whether the amp is on channel 1,2,3 or controlled by the footswitch.

DrainBrain, the MarkV should be in clean mode by default, with each external switching jack being off. In my understanding Mesa doesn't have a Clean/Gain and Crunch/Lead switching system, instead then have a Channel 2 and Channel 3 jack, which is clean when all are off, Channel 2 if you turn channel 2 on, and Channel 3 if you turn Channel 3 on. If both Channel 2 and 3 are on, Channel 3 will take precedence.

This means for Clean you would need Sw1 Tip and Ring both to be unswitched.

It also sounds like your preset settings all default to having a switch activated as part of the preset. You said you can change the settings to get it to clean mode, but it doesn't save when you reload the preset? Sounds like you need to figure out how to save changes to your preset, or save it as a custom user preset.

Back