changing valves (or tubes...)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdawg

Reaction score
Ok Ive got a lovely set of dougs 5:50 valves sitting in front of me, just a couple of questions as Ive not changed valves before...

1) do I need to take the chasis out to change them?
2) whats holding the valves in, on the powervalves I can see a circular disc with a screw in, im assuming thats holding them in..., and the ax7's all have ali cylinders around them how do I get them off???
3) anything else I need to know before I start??

1) No. You do not need to remove the chassis. Amps sold in Europe might have a cage over the tubes that might need to be removed.

2) You don't have to unscrew anything to take the power tubes out. Push the stamped metal clamps (by the tube's plastic base) back with one hand and pull the tube out with the other. Use a slight rocking motion on the tube.

3) The pre-amp tube covers have a bayonet type of mount. Twist them about 1/4 turn (or so) and they'll come out. They can be tricky to see to put them back in.

It's easiest to lay the amp face down on a carpeted surface so you can see to do this job. Note the tube
s orientation when you remove them. I believe the empty pin on the pre-amp tuse it toward the front of the amp. Feel free to remove the extruded aluminum crass barr that portects them (put it back on later).

It might also be helpful to have a small, hand-held mirror on a stick like auto mechanics use to help align the tube pins and the board. It can be a booger trying to line em' up without bending the pins a little.

Yes, a small hand mirror and a flashlight is helpful, especially if you've never done this before.

Those of us with experience usually just reach around the back of the amp and grope in the dark! :lol:

Don said:
Yes, a small hand mirror and a flashlight is helpful, especially if you've never done this before.

Those of us with experience usually just reach around the back and grope in the dark! :lol:

Oooh Im good at that :lol:

Don said:
....reach around the back.....and grope in the dark!

Most guys learn how to do that in high school every Friday and Saturday night late...

Then in college we realize we can lay it face down and use lights and mirrors to really see which pin goes in which hole....

ok so I swapped them out friday night... Only had a quick play, as it was 1am, but even on not waking the cat volumes in 5w the difference was very clear.. Im amazed something so simple makes such a big difference - going to give it a proper blast tonight, and tbh cant wait, you know that feeling when you get a new amp and cant wait to try it...

If anyone hasnt already been in touch with doug, give ihm a call and get the tubes swapped out its like playing with half an amp before its done...

bigdawg said:
ok so I swapped them out friday night... Only had a quick play, as it was 1am, but even on not waking the cat volumes in 5w the difference was very clear.. Im amazed something so simple makes such a big difference - going to give it a proper blast tonight, and tbh cant wait, you know that feeling when you get a new amp and cant wait to try it...

If anyone hasnt already been in touch with doug, give ihm a call and get the tubes swapped out its like playing with half an amp before its done...

I'd like to hear more about the Dougtube swap. I'm coming up on a retube and I am thinking some different tubes could make a lot of difference. But I'm still not quite convinced.

im still raving about it to anyone that'll listen - anything particular you want to know??? :D :D

On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate your current and previous tone. What kind of changes in the note texture did you notice on each channel?

Ill start at the beginning and answer these questions within it...

the most common types of music I play are (what I call) vintage blues & soul (jl hooker, freddy king,johnson & stax), 60s mod (small faces, who, kinks, stones etc.. ), 60s rock (cream, hendrix), ska, 70s bluesy rock (the usual zep, who, free, acdc) and modern rock (foos metallica) along with a rhcp's, fleetwood mac and a bit of rockabilly to boot...

Ive set the amp up so I dont have to touch the settings and can use the footswitch, and clean/crunch blues/heavy settings and the guitars volmue / tone controls to get the sounds I need - the only pedals I use are a wah and tuner.

Previously I thought the tone was great on this thing and would tell anyone that would listen, and most people are impressed when they hear it.. however I always thought the 5w setting was muddy (and the 50w at lower volumes in small venues) - the first thing the tube swap has done has made everything noticeably clearer, almost as though something had previously been muffling the sound. The 5w is now totally useable and clear even at lower volumes (ie 1am trying not to wake my kids up volume), the 50w is just better. I previously had trouble with solos sounding muffled on the crunch and heavy channels with the guitar volumes up, but this has cleaned up and is now really crisp, note definition is so much better.

The only downside if there is one is that the amp as a whole is now a bit more gainy - not rectifier over the top but just slightly more. But and hour turning down the gain slightly and rearanging everything else and ive found my sounds again...

Latest posts

Back