Can you recommend an acoustic Martin???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesD

Reaction score
I have played it, but it was a few years ago, i do believe it was a nice sounding guitar though. I went with a Taylor, but that was just personal preference.

I had a D-15. Great guitar.
I don't have any acoustic guitar lately, but I really like the 00-15!
Amazing for such a smaller box.
The D-15 sounds like a D-18 except the highs aren't as crisp.
If I was going to get another acoustic, it would be a D-15, or a 00-15. The 000-15 and M-15 do nothing for me, although the OM-15 is not bad.

I've had some real nice acoustic over the years, from several makers, but the mahogany Martins are a screamin' deal, IMHO.

yettoblaster said:
I had a D-15. Great guitar.
I don't have any acoustic guitar lately, but I really like the 00-15!
Amazing for such a smaller box.
The D-15 sounds like a D-18 except the highs aren't as crisp.
If I was going to get another acoustic, it would be a D-15, or a 00-15. The 000-15 and M-15 do nothing for me, although the OM-15 is not bad.

I've had some real nice acoustic over the years, from several makers, but the mahogany Martins are a screamin' deal, IMHO.

Plus one on mahogany Martins. :D

The martin D-15 is a really decent guitar, but I swear by my Taylor since I got it- the expression system is the only plugged in sound that sounds completely like an acoustic. I'm not saying the Taylor is the end all acoustic, it just feels right to me.

I have a D1R from around 96/97 and it does the job fine. You probably find one for around 600-700 US. What about Breedlove's? Are they that nice? Personally I don't like the headstock much.

ToneAddictJon said:
... but I swear by my Taylor since I got it- the expression system is the only plugged in sound that sounds completely like an acoustic. ...
Taylor patent that technology and might license to other acoustic manufacturers. That's how good that system is.

What's that affordable Martin acoustic that's made up of composite man made material - Made In Mexico with the exception of the Spruce top? I played one and it was dreadnought shape except with a single cutaway and it sound pretty good.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Martin-D15-Custom-Spruce-and-Rosewood-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=515888

Martin D-15s are a screaming deal in a Martin. Solid rosewood back and sides, solid spruce top and well, it's a Martin. If you don't want to amplify it $899 is a pretty **** good deal.

You don't want an acoustic Martin, you want one of them solid-body electric martins. ;)

I just picked up a used OM-16GT, and I'm still digging it a lot. It has the HPL fretboard and bridge, but solid mahogany neck/sides/back, solid spruce top.

I like those -15 guitars a lot though.

I have a lefty d-18 and just jameed 3 plus hours with local legend john broussard, who has a d-28....awesome tones-the mahog d 18 is LOUD!!!not as warm as d-28,but has a definite CUT-I wanted something that could cut through the soup of 3 or more acoustics at once..it does!!!it also cut the mustard volume wise with his 1935 national duolian-I really like it-has a dual source lr baggs which sounds really sweet/warm...no piezo honk

martin is ok in the upper classes like the d28 - no wonder there is no truss rods applied in those kind of guitars anymore - well done craftsmenship.

try the new carolina johnson, d17 or d27 - wow! they have one piece engelman spruce, one piece mahogany neck and indian rosewood sides and back. you will not believe the price. i got a d17 with gorgeous sound, maybe the mechs need some change later. and its even louder and more present than my old and rare red gibson accoustic

This Martin caught her attention.
girls-lexy6.jpg

I played a D-15 before I bought my last Acoustic. I only play Mahogany Back and sides Guitars. I also just happened to try an Epiphone Masterbuilt EF-500MNS. WOW! $500 for a solid Spruce top, Mahogany Back and sides!
I bought it! :)

It also has a bit of a wider fretboard than a Martin (1 3/4 nut). My fat fingers really like the extra room.

I took it and had a bone nut and saddle installed for $65 and I now have a guitar that will compete with any Martin, Taylor, or Gibson, and I have a lot of money left in my wallet. I need the extra money to pay for this Recto-Verb I just got.

Anyway, check out the Masterbuilts from Epiphone, and you may just save a ton of cash.

@t0aj15

have seen at least two d28 (model?) without tross rod.
guess that was not a QC issue.

depends on the construction, especially the joint between neck / body, where the neck is bolted.

IMO you are better off saving your money for a while and buy a high end Martin or Taylor, or ?. They sound so much better and hold their value as well. I'm currently saving for a 00-28 Marquis. Hopefully I'll pick it up around x-mas time. There really is a day and night difference in tone.

Martins are fantastic but, $ for $ you will get more Guitar with a Taylor. its all good go play a bunch and pick what sounds good and looks good to you.I have owned some cheap yamahas that sounded and played great

Latest posts

Back