Can you mix 430 and 440 6L6 GC tubes in a Tremoverb ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winterland

Reaction score
I recently bought a Tremoverb Combo and the owner had pulled 2 of the 6L6 GC tubes. It has 2 Mesa 440 6L6 GC tubes in it now. I want to have all 4.

I can get a pair of Mesa 6L6 GC 430 tubes locally. Will it be ok to have a 2 pair with different code numbers?

Also I want to have 4 El34's to vary the sound. Do these 4 all have to have the same code also?

To add to this does the color code have to match for pairs and or all 4 also?

Thanks

winterland said:
I recently bought a Tremoverb Combo and the owner had pulled 2 of the 6L6 GC tubes. It has 2 Mesa 440 6L6 GC tubes in it now. I want to have all 4.

I can get a pair of Mesa 6L6 GC 430 tubes locally. Will it be ok to have a 2 pair with different code numbers?

Also I want to have 4 El84's to vary the sound. Do these 4 all have to have the same code also?

Thanks

Strictly speaking, the inner pair should match each other, and the outer pair should match each other, because power tubes work in pairs. Mesa color codes are used to match 6L6 and EL-34 power tubes in pairs.
EL-84s won't fit the same sockets as 6L6s.

MrMarkIII said:
winterland said:

Also I want to have 4 El34's to vary the sound. Do these 4 all have to have the same code also?

Thanks

Strictly speaking, the inner pair should match each other, and the outer pair should match each other, because power tubes work in pairs. Mesa color codes are used to match 6L6 and EL-34 power tubes in pairs.
EL-84s won't fit the same sockets as 6L6s.

I called Mesa for the low down and they were great.
They said keep the same number and color of power tubes in the pairs as you stated.

However EL34 and 6L6 tubes both fit in the same socket in the Tremoverb. That is a nice feature. You can have 4 of each tube and switch sounds this way. It has a switch you select for which tubes you are using.

domct203 said:
winterland said:
........ However EL84 and 6L6 tubes both fit in the same socket in the Tremoverb.........

Please explain to me how you are going to fit a 9-pin EL84 into an octal ( 8-pin ) socket thats made for 6L6 & EL34 type tubes.

Dom

You are correct I was incorrectly saying EL84 when it should be EL34. My bad.
I changed the other messages also so know ones gets confused.

Thanks

You should be fine with the 430's & 440's, just be sure to run the same types as pairs for the best match, so for example put them in like this:

'430' '440' '440' '430'

Color codes should match the pairs also, in otherwords, if the 430's are YEL and the 440's are GRN that's OK, just not optimal.

IMO the STR-440 is a much better sounding tube. My best advise would be to buy a new Quad of 440's (all same color code) and save the ones from the amp as back-ups. You have no idea how many hours are on them, or how hard they were pushed.

Dom

Latest posts

Back