Can old VH (WACF/FW) be done with a stiletto II?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcguitar

Reaction score
So, so any owners, or previous owners of a deuce, has anyone acheieved an old van halen sound, or is it too tight? I have a 5150 II, and its pretty tight, if I went for the "marshall-esque" sound i would want something that was looser (like the old 68 plexi he used) I like the stiletto, but from the limited times I have played it I dont know if it will do what i want. I am looking for "everybody wants some" "fools" "Mean street" "hear about it later" type tones... i know gain wise its there... but is the squishyness there... ?

I too love Ed's early tone. Especially Van Halen 1. Ed got his sound from running his main plexi completely dimed into a load box and then slaved to another amp for power. So in effect the main amp acts as a giant master volume and then he controlled overall output with the slaved amp. So what you get is pure powertube saturation. However that being said, the pickup you are using in your guitar is a huge part of the equation also. In my opinion the best pickup for Ed's early tone is a Seymour Duncan 59 humbucker. Here is a thread on the Metroamp forum explaining how a slaved setup works and what it sounds like. Mark Abrahamian is the guitarist for Mickey Thomas ( ex-Jefferson Starship). He is an ampbuilder and he has the early Ed tone nailed!!! Check out the thread and his soundclip here

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=23045

yeah, im there on the metro forum.. i like that one (its the only other one i frequent, although i used to go to the peavey board, and am on most other guitar boards too )

so i have read through most of the posts on there, and put plenty. I am still debating on building an amp. Mark A, nails it completely, and also plays like him quite well. I could always buy the metro plexi replica, but its 2500, and then i'd have to get an attenuator of sorts to go along with it. (i think) I would like some versitility built into an amp (other than the variac switch).

So anyway, I am trying to find out if a Duece can actually accomplish that, or if I'd have to get the metro amp to get it.
also.. - i have an EVH Franky pickup, and a northern ash body (so ive got that covered... don't have the speakers, but may get a cab with those speakers too)

long story short, i want alot of things, and can't buy them all. Need to know if deuce II is to tight... (need to know if i want the mark V sound more, and what that does with EL-34s too, or if the plexi is the way to go... I seem to be turning more towards marshall sounds, but i do love the C+ noise) sooooooo..... (why'd i pick up the guitar i wish i could just play it and be happy with playing hahahahah)

I think on the Duece channel 1 crunch mode pushed with a clean boost pedal gets really close. I haven't been in my VH mode trying to nail that tone but I think with some tweeking it could be done.

Laskyman said:
I dont think any amp "nails" that sound- but I do believe this amp will get you as close as any Mesa can.Its a great amp

The Blankenship amp "Variplex" nails it pretty much. But the head alone costs $2500-2700 comes with a variac unit so you can lower the voltage. Pretty **** cool amp! 8)

Yup... sounded like it nailed it to me.... Very nice sounding for that stuff.

Latest posts

Back