Can anyone compare LSC to Electra Dyne?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elvis

Reaction score
For anyone who has both LSC and Electra Dyne (or has played both enough to know):

How do the clean channels compare?
Is the LSC lead channel at all like Dyne vintage Lo or HI, or totally different? Does the LSC have a lot more gain?

I would say the LSC will have the superior clean channel, but the Electra Dyne will have more useable gain channels. The Lone Star does not have as much gain as the ED, and its gain channel is really voiced for single-note stuff. The ED is more of a crunch machine. I have very limited experience with the ED, though, so keep that in mind when reading my opinions.

The cleans and reverb on the ED are very good. I would give the Lonestar the edge on this though. Very 3D and full. As for the lead channel, I would say that the Lonestar has quite a bit of gain, especially if you have the effects loop switched in and the send dialed up, but I don't think it has more than the ED. It's a different feel. The Lonestar gain is smooth, chewy, and singing, whereas the ED is more immediate and articulate. I feel the strength of the ED is the crunch tone in vintage low. It's beautiful and the tight bottom and punch is superb. So in sum, the cleans are comparable, the Lonestar lead is more sinewy and smooth, and the ED is super punchy and articulate. Both are great amps, but you have to play them both to decide. I think you'll find out fairly quickly which one is best for you.

Thanks, that's a big help. I have a Dyne that I LOVE, but the vintage modes aren't as smooth as I would like at times, and it's remarkably difficult to get pinch harmonics, something I do without any trouble on my other amps. I am considering a LSC in addition to the Dyne. I will go try one.

Unless you need 100 watts, I'd also try a Lone Star Special. I LOVE the tones I'm getting out of mine, and I think it's right in line for what you're describing. Well, except for the pinch harmonics. That's not really a Lone Star thing. :)

I just played my Dyne, and the way I have it dialed, the vintage modes have tons of articulation. You can really hear the difference in pickups, and you can play a chord on vintage hi and hear all the notes and overtones, which is beautiful. But it's really stiff and screechy when I play heavy bends and harmonics. I'd like something smoother for playing lines, and more sustain-y for legato. Even with an 808 in front the Dyne is not liquid.

So how does that line up with LSC or LSS lead?

elvis said:
I just played my Dyne, and the way I have it dialed, the vintage modes have tons of articulation. You can really hear the difference in pickups, and you can play a chord on vintage hi and hear all the notes and overtones, which is beautiful. But it's really stiff and screechy when I play heavy bends and harmonics. I'd like something smoother for playing lines, and more sustain-y for legato. Even with an 808 in front the Dyne is not liquid.

So how does that line up with LSC or LSS lead?

You'll be really happy with either Lone Star. :) I'd also try a Mark series amp if you can find one.

Thanks again. I've had my share of Mark tones (from the Studio Pre and the Triaxis), but am in an experimental phase, so I am having fun looking at the new stuff. Though the Dyne is melting my ears - man, that thing has some punch!

Latest posts

Back